close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

05 GSXR 1000 Track Report

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, May 3, 2005.

1. Here is a good write up (taken from the MS boards without permission) of one of the guys @ NESBA (Control Rider) who had a brand new 05 Gixxer 1K that he broke in this weekend.
    Enjoy!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picked up the latest addition to the stable a few weeks ago, but this past weekend was the first time I got to actually throw a leg over it and ride it. Behold, my new racetrack foolishness device (aka 2005 Suzuki GSXR1000): They've been out for a few months now; I put my deposit down in December but was holding out until the traditional Suzuki blue and white ones arrived. This is one the first ones on the west coast:

[​IMG]

The thing is still 95% stock; so far I've only got an aftermarket exhaust and rearsets installed, and there's more stuff on the way. But for now, it's pretty much still a stock streetbike. I considered not even using it until it was 100% race-ready, but I was working as a control rider at the http://www.NESBA.com trackdays this weekend and figured it was the perfect opportunity to properly break in the motor. This is the first time I've bought a brand-new street legal motorcycle from a dealership and taken it straight to the track without ever even riding it on the street. In the past I've just converted crashed / previously ridden motorcycles for racetrack use, this time I decided to cut out the middleman so to speak. Besides, I honestly had no desire to ride this thing on the street. A bike like this has absolutely zero practical use on public roads anyway; at best they're uncomfortable and grossly overpowered, at worst they're a dangerous temptation to do evil, and a qualifier for a ride in the back of a law enforcement vehicle. So I took the smart(?) route: this baby went from the dealership, to the back of my pickup, to my garage at home for prepping, then straight to the racetrack. No street use = no handcuffs for me! :)

3 whole miles on the odometer. A virgin about to be deflowered.

[​IMG]

The owner's manual says to not take the engine above 4k on the tach for the first 500 miles, and then to keep it under 10k for the first 1500 miles. Pft. Yeah, right. I go to a different church, one that believes in the power of a well-seated set of piston rings. New engines get a good warmup, then run 'em HARD to seat the rings properly.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

No mercy, that bike hit redline plenty of times yesterday. :)

Always remember to RTFM before playing with a new toy. Here's me killing time, waiting for the first session to start on Saturday morning:

[​IMG]

Ready to go, hopefully that book had everything I needed to know in it:. Next up: 182mph.

[​IMG]

2 days and 381 racetrack miles later, she's a bit dirtier but still in 1 piece. She is now broken in, and ready for the first oil change. (yay!!!) This motorcycle is hands down the best handling, best braking, best accelerating, highest top speed vehicle I've ever piloted. I'll freely admit that was a bit apprehensive about pulling the trigger on the thing at first (it'll wheelie on sheer power without even trying) but after a few laps I quickly got used to it and was flying around no problem. It's VERY stable, I'm amazed they can get a motorcycle to put that much power to the ground without being a terrifying nightmare to ride. Truly a generational leap over sportbikes from as recent as even 1 year ago. I can't wait to see how it handles once I get the suspension upgraded for racetrack use; the stock suspension is pretty good, but it's a bit soft for racetrack speeds. But even brand new right out of the crate, this thing is a freaking MISSILE. I passed same-sized / engine capacity bikes all day yesterday on sheer power, like I had an extra gear or something. It's crazy quick & fast. And the main straightaway at the Pacific Raceways racetrack isn't straight for me anymore. On a slower bike (750cc or smaller) the straight is a place to relax for a bit; you get a second or two to sit down, chill out, hold the throttle open, ride in a straight line and relax. But on this thing you're carrying so much more speed that you're still steering, and working on just making one big arcing "S" turn down the length of the straight to line yourself up for turn 1. And boy howdy, does that turn 1 comes up a heckuva lot faster than it used to. And the apex "window" you're trying to aim for between the concrete wall and the opposite edge of the track looks a LOT narrower now. Great googly moogley / yee haw!

The perfect racetrack motorcycle. What a blast. I'm exhausted today. The bike is physically easy to ride, especially at casual pace. But as I mentioned above, when you pull the pin and ride it hard, there's just NO place to rest on the racetrack anymore, and the rider (or at least me) cannot relax mentally or physically for even a split second when that throttle is held wide open. Incredibly fun, but do NOT blink. :)

Next flight is scheduled for the http://www.NESBA.com trackday this coming Monday May 9, at Portland International Raceway. I'll have the suspension fully tuned on it by then, looking forward to seeing how she handles with proper valves and springs. Wheee!!!

2. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

hey, cool. i was there on sunday. those things look nice out on the track.

3. snake

snake Paralized with excitement

I knew there was a reason I picked up one of these new gixxers.

4. mjn

mjn Forum Admin Staff Member

Make a perfect stablemate to my bus.

5. nice little advertisement there...

It is sometimes fun to just sit behind slower bikes and watch them giving it their all....while the GSXR is yawning and stretching.

6. Kolat

Kolat emw2k9 beer pong champions

I was expecting pictures of a broken frame :)

T

7. snake

snake Paralized with excitement

Yeah, I thought the same thing. The bike actually did a whole track day without the frame spontaneously blowing into a thousand pieces.