close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'07 Ninja 650r rehab

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Pavement Tested, Apr 8, 2015.

1. I picked up an '07 Kawasaki Ninja 650r over the weekend as a project. It's in need of some TLC and some significant mechanical work. The title is not branded as far as I know (I'm still waiting for it from the seller). I have registrations form 3 previous owners but not much else on the history of how it go to be so beat up.

It has been dropped on both sides as is evident by all of the fairings being busted up and have a REALLY bad touch up job. The gas tank is black but the fairings are blue which leads me to believe the original tank was damaged at some point and replaced.

The left swing arm spool is bent upward about 30 degrees which is cause for replacing it all together. The frame appears to be straight, the wheels are good with brand new tires (<100 miles on them), all the electrical works.

It had thrown the chain and in the process it destroyed the front sprocket cover, transmission cover, an external oil pipe and the upper crank case.

I originally got the bike with the intention of parting it out but I changed my mind and am going to fix it. So far I bought a crank case set, swing arm and transmission cover and am in it <$200 in parts. I know I have a long way to go with gaskets, bearings, seals etc but it's a start.

I am torn on what to do with the body work. The stuff that came on it is trash and I want to make the bike all black. A 16 piece set of Chinese fairings off of eBay runs ~$500 and is the easiest way to go but I'm thinking about making it a "streetfighter". If you know a little about these bikes, the 650r or EX650A didn't come naked in the US until 2009 and is called the ER-6n but from the introduction of the bike in EU it was available faired and naked. From what I can tell, the differences are cosmetic. The motor is the same from 06-11 when they made some minor changes and I believe the frames are the same except for fairing mounting points, maybe. So, I'm going to take a look at a 09 ER-6n to see if the factory fairings or side covers will mount up and probably go with some sort of aftermarket headlight set up. I think I can get into the frame covers, belly pan and headlight for under $500.

I welcome input on the project. Things I'd like to know:
    - will ER-6n frame covers will go directly on and older 650r.
    - recommended headlight kit with decent quality and low price. I've looked at eBay and want to stay away from any of the alien looking things and anything that doesn't have a standard H series bulb (i.e. H4, H7, etc) The dual "Dominator" kits look pretty ok but I'm concerned about quality.
    - any tips or tricks you might find helpful

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. Can you post up some pics of the fairings?
    I know of two options vs. spending $500 on ebay for the kit.
    You can go to a website called DHGATE.com and buy the same kits directly from chinese sellers for $50-150 less, shipped. Many of the kits on ebay are being shipped from China as it is, so why pay $515 shipped from ebay when you can do it for $443?
    The site is sort of like Alibaba. I prefer Alibaba, but they won't ship to Washington currently due to escrow issues.
    DHgate still offers refund protections that work. I just ordered a fairing kit from a seller that was damaged in shipping. I was given a partial refund AND two replacement items. You just need a good comfort and patience level and do your research.

The second option is how to fix some ABS fairings. You can take some ABS cement and ABS sheets or ABS pipes, both from home depot, and make a mixture to fix cracks and replace missing tabs.
    You cut up the pipe (abs pipe used in plumbing) into small pieces and mix it 50/50 with the abs cement. Cut some strips of plastic or fiberglass window screen (not the metal kind) and lay it across the backside of the cracks or missing spots. Brush the ABS mix around the outer edges of the screen to glue it in place. Then brush it across the rest of the screen. IT's a similar process to using resin and fiberglass cloth, but the ABS mix bonds with the fairings and provides flex.
    You can just use ABS cement to bond small cracks together, but it won't hold as well as this.
    Problem of course is the amount of body work needed. Sanding, primer, paint etc.

Missing tabs can be replicated as long at least one fairing has a proper tab. You make a mold of it in clay, then pour in the ABS mix and let it set, then bond that to the fairing.

I'm going to do this process soon to one of the fairings for the suzuki I just picked up and to the inner rear fender for my CBR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ5cLE69DV4

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

3. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

Given that the 650 and the ER6N share the exact same wheelbase, length, width, motor, forks, rear shock etc etc it's safe to say it's the same chassis. The biggest question would be if the frames have the same mounting tabs for the parts you need.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, although I would expect to need some different bracketry for the ER6N bits.

4. RedKat600

No kidding, right? Know anyone with a 6N?

5. Yes, I do. I have arranged a meet with a friend with an '09 6n to look it over and do a side by side comparison this weekend.

6. RedKat600

Pretty please note the difference and post them? This would be great information to have around from a first hand experience. :mrgreen:

7. Will do. I'll even take pics. :mrgreen:

8. RedKat600

:thumblef:

9. Go for the Z1000 headlight.... I like it a lot, and in Europe they have the Z3 so you know the ER6 will accept it.... and its fittings could be identical since they are from the same manufacturer. Yay no wire bitting! I guess ill see it in person on the 26th.

10. Yeah you will. The motor might be out of it by then tho. Cases are on the way, supposed to be here Saturday.

I got screwed on the swing arm tho. The eBay seller backed out and cancelled the sale because they sold it too cheap. $10 for the swing arm and $25 for shipping. I already contacted eBay and they said all I can do is negative feed back them but since the sale is cancelled already I don't have that option anymore. Fuckers! :angry7:

11. No stealing parts off my bike!

haha..

Anyway, how long do you need to look them over?

12. How much do you trust Sean? :scared

13. Nothing's fallen off since he did my tires. Not too worried.

14. You bike IS the same color as mine...:devil:

I don't need much time. I was wondering if you'd let me remove anything for comparison, specifically the side covers. I'd also like to take a look at the back of the gage cluster some time. This weekend isn't necessary for that tho.

15. No problem. Those take 5 minutes off-and-on.

16. I vote street fighter :popcorn:

17. I say turbo charge it :devil: