close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2007 800cc MotoGP

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Jun 8, 2005.

1. After months of negotiations and rumors, the FIM finally announced last week that MotoGP rules would be changed to limit maximum displacement to 800cc as of the 2007 season.

While this change was originally proposed to limit horsepower and thus reduce top speeds, it seems likely that rather than making the bikes safer, reduced displacement will make them harder to ride. Smaller displacement will mean higher rev ceilings but less torque, which means a narrower powerband and possibly more of a two stroke-style "hit" which will be a challenge to control.

Of course, the manufacturers have well more than a year to try to overcome these problems, but developing the new 800cc machines will require investment of significant R&D funds paralell to developement of the current race machines. We expect that the change in displacement will force the manufacturers to re-examine the benefits of the different engine configurations (triple vs four vs five vs six cylinder, V- or Inline layout), which will take even more time and money.

In any situation which demands significant research and developement, the advantage tends to go to the companies with the most resources. In this case, we expect that the larger manufacturers will completely redesign their powerplants, while their smaller competitiors might just make do with de-stroked versions of their current motors. Either way, the MotoGP deck will definitely be re-shuffled in 2007 as the teams are forced to adapt to completely different power characteristics in their race machines.

2. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Thats gonna be fun to watch! I am definite people are going to be shuffled around alot... Maybe Nicky Haden might become an idle in the top 3 again, and Mr. Rossi might be pushed back a little. Or maybe Kawi and other smaller company bikes, Proton, MotorCsysz, etc. Might start turning out better bikes! It will all show come 2007! Its gonna be a great year too follow the MotoGP!!

3. makes me think Honda already has there motor ready to go. I am thinking oval cylinder triple.

4. fast_lcf

fast_lcf Palouse Pirate

f that is gay as shit. that is what Moto GP is about, speed. faster and faster.i did not like Moto GP till the 4 stroke came.215 MPH. f yes man that is what it is all about. f the FIM. all the riders know what they are doing when they get on a bike that has 220+ HP.i well not give a shit about Moto GP after 2006

solame: :thefinge:

5. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Sad thing is, I bet the 800cc bikes will go just as fast. Just wait and see, come 2007 the technology will be more advanced. Even if there not going as fast, it will be fun to watch!

6. People complained when they switched to 4 stroke too. They will always figure out a way to make them fast.

7. fast_lcf

fast_lcf Palouse Pirate

if 800cc's are going to as fast as the 1000 leve GP alone. and then we can see them go faster and faster on 1000cc. don't f with it then.if it an't broke, don't f with it. :?:if they are not going as fast as they are as 1000cc what fun is that ? :scratch:

8. Changing the rules does good things for production bikes (all ducati, kawi zx, honda rr riders) as they have adopted the rules change and produced lighter, more road ready bikes. Dropping the cc range makes death <slightly> less likely in a crash. Granted there are some insanely powerful bikes, but lets be honest. These guys nowadays arent the heroes like kenny roberts and the like, trying to contain 2 stroke GP bikes. Ass frames, poor geometry and engines that were compared to riding contained explosions. Maybe the 800s will bring that wildness back to GP?

E

9. I agree...it's about to get wild again. Maybe that's why Rossi wants to bow out into F1 with Ferrari because of the new rules change.

Nakano and Jacques will be podium winners by 2007 I predict.

10. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

I guarantee that within a couple years of the rules changes, they'll be going just as fast as they were with 1000cc bikes; that's the nature of the beast - just look at F1, they constantly make them change the cars, and yet they set new fastest lap times almost every year. Bikes are obviously a little different, but I bet you they'll have those 800cc bikes back up over 200mph within a year or two of development...then they'll decide to bring it down to 600ccs! Next thing you know, we'll all be riding 250cc bikes with 175hp at 250lbs! BEAUTIFUL!

11. fast_lcf

fast_lcf Palouse Pirate

think about is: leve it alone and they well be going even faster. :scratch: like i posted thos guy know what they are doing wene they get on a bike that has 220HP and can go 215MPH.

12. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

After deciphering that...what was that? English? some sort of Pullman dialect??!?!...anyways, yeah I hear what you're saying, and I agree, they shouldn't mess with it 'cause rocks now; my point was that even if they do, it isn't going to make a whole lot of difference, they'll just find new ways to go faster, they always do. Hell, in a lot of ways the 500cc were MORE dangerous, even though they weren't as fast, because of the huge power surge the 2-smokers hit the riders with. Motorcycle racing is dangerous; let the guys race if they want to race, stop trying to regulate every little detail dammit!

13. The other possible benefit is a larger pack of bikes at the front. With the exception of last weekend, too many gp races have been watching rossi ride around by himself. I would much rather see a group of 4,5,6 or more riders dicing it out at the front for the whole race.

14. fast_lcf

fast_lcf Palouse Pirate

i see your guys point. but i love the speed that thes guy are going. i hope that you guys are right about that they well be go as fast as they are going now. :roll:

15. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

with the reduction in cc's, are they going to reduce the minimum weight?

16. haha you only ask that Jafar so you can give yourself hope that you may qualify for a spot on the grid. Kawi guy already went from zero to hero with one podium win.