close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2015 Girl's Weekend Report

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mel, Aug 16, 2015.

1. 2015 Girl’s Weekend Ride Report

I absolutely have to start out by saying that the women in our community here in the Northwest are simply phenomenal. Every year we’ve seen new faces at this event, and every year I’m blown away at the personalities, comradery, and support for one another shown over the weekend. We all come from different backgrounds, experiences and even ride different horses, but you’d never be able to tell from the group dynamics. It’s deeply gratifying to be able to bring that together each year and give you all the opportunity to get to know each other a little better.

Candiya and Ang departed independently on Thursday, with Ang arriving that night and Candiya making a long weekend adventure out of it and taking the scenic way down (she arrived in Hood River that night from Northwest Washington).

Friday evening was our official kickoff dinner with chicken tacos, fresh guac and these sinful no-bakes that JoBeth brought over for dessert. (By the way, thanks… I’m still craving a heaping bowl of Golden Grahms!!) Ang…THANK YOU so much for all the extra help in the kitchen!! It was nice to be able to visit with people as they arrived, instead of rushing around getting food on the table. Cerissa and Kaylynn rolled in after dark, but by 9:30 all the bikes were tucked in, their rider’s bellies were satisfied, and everyone was gabbing away getting to know each other while settling in for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5:30am Saturday morning (yep… that early), I rolled out to get coffee and breakfast started before the frenzy of showers, food and gear started up. This day’s adventures would take us from Lebanon, out to Sisters and back.

At our meet-point (Lebanon Safeway), while we were waiting for other riders to join us, I kept eyeing the dark clouds that were trying to threaten us, wondering if the weather was going to live up to the typical unpredictability of the valley, but it managed to stay away from us. Once everyone was gathered and the safety talk was out of the way, we headed out on our adventure for the day.

[​IMG]

Of course…. It was a Harley to take the first potty break…. Before we even left, lol. No worries though, its eyes were just a little bigger than its tank was all.

[​IMG]

We were also treated to these cute little gems just before taking off!!

[​IMG]

From Lebanon, we meandered south on the backroads to Brownsville, and out Hwy 228 before dropping down into Springfield on Marcola, and Hill/Old Mohawk.

(Btw ladies… I forgot to mention a tidbit of super cool history about going through Brownsville… look familiar? We were going the opposite direction.

[​IMG]

From Springfield, we headed east on Hwy 126 out to Jasper Road and then turned south for our first rest stop at the Lowell Covered Bridge, just downstream from Lookout Point Dam. By now, we had exited the Lebanon cloud machine and were treated to very nice weather the rest of the day. We met up with a nice couple riding two-up on another HD, they were going nearly the same route as us. There was also a middle-eastern family stopped there, they seemed excited to see the bikes and asked if they could take some pictures.

[​IMG]

Hwy 58 took us east to Oakridge for our first gas stop, and then it was finally time to get serious about having some fun with taking NF-19 up to the Cougar Reservoir. There’s a nice little rest area and bridge at the Cougar Crossing Campground (along with a potty), so we usually stop there for a snack and to stretch our legs some. There can be some rough spots on the road, but it was fairly clean with minimal traffic for our journey. The pace seemed good for everyone, and the gals were all having a great time. Even better that several had been wanting to ride these roads, but hadn’t had the opportunity to yet. I love seeing those smiles.

[​IMG]

Back on the road for some more fun… onward to the Aufderheide! WEEEE!!! The water in Cougar Reservoir was its gorgeous, brilliant teal – always a sight to see. If you’re taking this route, be sure to watch for the gravel patch about a half mile past the entrance for the hot springs ;). Further north we turned east onto Hwy 126 with a brief stop for gas a couple miles down the road from the turnoff.

A few more miles down the [long, straight] road, was the turnoff for some more fun. Time to play a little more (while being surrounded by outstanding scenery) on the Old McKenzie Hwy 242. We saw some traffic, but nothing too bad, most were polite enough to pull over when they were able to. Of course, every time I’m on this road now, I’m reminded of our adventure two years ago when a freak storm passed overhead just as we were getting started on this road. I’m still amazed at the difference in weather we’ve had since then, and at the stories that came out of that day!

After cresting the tree line, we entered the lava fields, and took a nice break up at the Dee Wright Observatory before deciding that we were all absolutely starving, as it was somewhere around 2:30 by now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch was once again at Hard Tails on N. Larch Street in Sisters. Good burger/sammich stuffs, and plenty of space in the back room for the mound of gear that travels with us.

[​IMG]

With our stomachs full of laughs and vittles, it was time to head back. What took us 7 hours in one direction, would only take about 2.5 in the other via Hwy 126 and Hwy 20. We took a short rest to stretch our legs and enjoy the evening cool at the Shea Viewpoint alongside Foster Lake.

[​IMG]

Once back at the house and all the bikes were snuggled in, we traded out the gear for comfy clothes and enjoyed the rest of the beautiful evening out on the back patio till after the sun went down.

Sunday morning started out much the same as Saturday, although I laid in bed for an extra beating of the snooze button trying to figure out any way possible to squeeze out just one more hour of sleep.

After making our way to the Philomath Chevron, on the other side of the valley, we added Teresa to our group for the day, and headed out for the coast.

[URL='http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_091520.jpg%5b/IMG'][U]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_091520.jpg[/IMG[/U][/URL]]

I’m always happy to introduce people to Hwy 34 and the luscious banked corners of the Alsea curves…there were no lack of ear-to-ear grins by the time we stopped up at Mary’s Peak…which I’m very happy I added into the rout this year. Just about to the top I spied the familiar white truck of Ranger Bob, and we had the pleasure of visiting with him for a bit at the viewpoint. He was quite impressed to see a group of just girls up there. While the morning fog was super cool to watch blowing through the treetops, it was still socked in enough that there was no view to be had. Guess you gals will have to make another trip down sometime!!

[IMG][URL='http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_100212.jpg%5b/IMG'][U]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_100212.jpg[/IMG[/U][/URL]]

[IMG][URL='http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_102838.jpg%5b/IMG'][U]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_102838.jpg[/IMG[/U][/URL]]

After coming down from the peak, we stopped in at the Hayden Covered Bridge – just west of Alsea on Hwy 34. The bridge was named for my paternal grandmothers family, of whom were some of the original settlers of the Alsea valley, and owned the homestead property the bridge is on.

[IMG][URL='http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_111517.jpg%5b/IMG'][U]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_111517.jpg[/IMG[/U][/URL]]

Hwy 34 continued on out to Waldport, where we stopped for a bit of gas and a rest before heading north along the coast line.

[IMG][URL='http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_122712.jpg%5b/IMG'][U]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_122712.jpg[/IMG[/U][/URL]]

Just past the Waldport bridge, we headed inland on N Bayview Road to Beaver Creek. Both are getting a bit rough, but plenty worth it compared to droning on behind traffic on Hwy 101… although we did see some of this slab from Beaver Creek up to Newport. Once we were in Newport it was time to leave the traffic behind again and go inland following the Yaquina Bay Rd up to Toledo, and then jumping over to the Siletz Hwy 229. This joins back to Hwy 101 just south of Lincoln City, which was our next stop for some lunch at the Mazatlan Mexican restaurant. Food was good…our waiter could have smiled at least a little, but was at least decent. Had great salsa that was actually hot too!

[IMG][URL='http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_150420.jpg%5b/IMG'][U]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_150420.jpg[/IMG[/U][/URL]]

After a very, super, heartfelt sendoff from a couple that was admiring our group (they *might* have been a tad bit tipsy), we headed back out onto Hwy 101 going north to Hwy 18 with the usual decent bit of traffic to follow. As we stopped for gas in Grand Ronde, we gathered once more in the parking lot and said our goodbyes for the various paths home.

[IMG][URL='http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_171126.jpg%5b/IMG'][U]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_171126.jpg[/IMG[/U][/URL]]

JoBeth and I headed back south as most everyone else went north. After stopping for a minute to check and see what route we wanted to take, we were approached by a woman and her young daughter. She shared with us that her daughter had wanted to see the bikes, and then noticed that it was women standing beside them and she was just in awe. We asked her if she might want to sit on one and she gave a sheepish grin that could only say, “YES!!”. Her grin got even bigger as she was lifted up onto JoBeth’s Monster, and then another treat to get to sit on the Daytona too. Lucky little girl there…TWO BIKES!! She was so cute and shy, you could tell that made her weekend. Sounded like her mom had been having a hard time getting her to wear her helmet, so it was a great learning moment for her to see us with ours on… And as any good ATGATT-monger would, we covered the other protective gear we were wearing to stay safe, including letting her feel the armor in my jacket. As she and her mom turned and started walking back to the gas station where their bicycles were parked, I glanced over just in time to see her skipping gleefully. Yeah… you know how that bicycle ride home went!!! These are the moments that stick with me.

[IMG][URL='http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_181012.jpg%5b/IMG'][U]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/Mel_Crawford/2015%20Ladies%20Weekend/20150809_181012.jpg[/IMG[/U][/URL]]

All in all, it was another successful and amazing weekend, chock full of fantastic memories and new friendships. I’m truly honored to ride with each of you.

beansbaxter, Sirena, bcj and 2 others like this.
  2. (Fixed the image codes for the last part)

After making our way to the Philomath Chevron, on the other side of the valley, we added Teresa to our group for the day, and headed out for the coast.

[​IMG]

I’m always happy to introduce people to Hwy 34 and the luscious banked corners of the Alsea curves…there were no lack of ear-to-ear grins by the time we stopped up at Mary’s Peak…which I’m very happy I added into the rout this year. Just about to the top I spied the familiar white truck of Ranger Bob, and we had the pleasure of visiting with him for a bit at the viewpoint. He was quite impressed to see a group of just girls up there. While the morning fog was super cool to watch blowing through the treetops, it was still socked in enough that there was no view to be had. Guess you gals will have to make another trip down sometime!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After coming down from the peak, we stopped in at the Hayden Covered Bridge – just west of Alsea on Hwy 34. The bridge was named for my paternal grandmothers family, of whom were some of the original settlers of the Alsea valley, and owned the homestead property the bridge is on.

[​IMG]

Hwy 34 continued on out to Waldport, where we stopped for a bit of gas and a rest before heading north along the coast line.

[​IMG]

Just past the Waldport bridge, we headed inland on N Bayview Road to Beaver Creek. Both are getting a bit rough, but plenty worth it compared to droning on behind traffic on Hwy 101… although we did see some of this slab from Beaver Creek up to Newport. Once we were in Newport it was time to leave the traffic behind again and go inland following the Yaquina Bay Rd up to Toledo, and then jumping over to the Siletz Hwy 229. This joins back to Hwy 101 just south of Lincoln City, which was our next stop for some lunch at the Mazatlan Mexican restaurant. Food was good…our waiter could have smiled at least a little, but was at least decent. Had great salsa that was actually hot too!

[​IMG]

After a very, super, heartfelt sendoff from a couple that was admiring our group (they *might* have been a tad bit tipsy), we headed back out onto Hwy 101 going north to Hwy 18 with the usual decent bit of traffic to follow. As we stopped for gas in Grand Ronde, we gathered once more in the parking lot and said our goodbyes for the various paths home.

[​IMG]

JoBeth and I headed back south as most everyone else went north. After stopping for a minute to check and see what route we wanted to take, we were approached by a woman and her young daughter. She shared with us that her daughter had wanted to see the bikes, and then noticed that it was women standing beside them and she was just in awe. We asked her if she might want to sit on one and she gave a sheepish grin that could only say, “YES!!”. Her grin got even bigger as she was lifted up onto JoBeth’s Monster, and then another treat to get to sit on the Daytona too. Lucky little girl there…TWO BIKES!! She was so cute and shy, you could tell that made her weekend. Sounded like her mom had been having a hard time getting her to wear her helmet, so it was a great learning moment for her to see us with ours on… And as any good ATGATT-monger would, we covered the other protective gear we were wearing to stay safe, including letting her feel the armor in my jacket. As she and her mom turned and started walking back to the gas station where their bicycles were parked, I glanced over just in time to see her skipping gleefully. Yeah… you know how that bicycle ride home went!!! These are the moments that stick with me.

[​IMG]

All in all, it was another successful and amazing weekend, chock full of fantastic memories and new friendships. I’m truly honored to ride with each of you.

thirsty 1, bcj, Mel and 2 others like this.

3. Thanks arcane! Weird with a straight copy/paste from typing it up with the others working just fine. If the "Edit" feature comes back someday, I'll go correct the OP.

Sirena likes this.
  4. Thank YOU for the ride report!

Yes... I miss the edit button.

5. Great report and looked like a really fun ride. Thanks all the pictures.

6. thank you so much for the write up. I read it smiling and could imagine myself along with you gals <3

7. Missed you so much this year, but I know you were with us in spirit. You were thought of often, as well as several others. :)

8. Mel, thanks for the great report. Aside from the obvious fun and camaraderie this weekend always entails, it's especially nice to hear you relate the young girl's joy in seeing women on Motorcycles. Really cool that you all made a point of telling her about all the safety gear beyond helmets. I also really enjoy interacting with children when I'm riding, waving to them at stoplights and talking at gas stations or other places in public.

This reminds me how much I've missed riding in the past year. I sure hope my shoulder will be fully healed by spring.

9. Nice! I hope this keeps on happening, since apparently more chicks riding motorcycles on their own is a world-wide trend :)