close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

999 fighter jet

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Jafar, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

not sure if anyone watches Fifth Gear: good show on the speed channel. i was watching part of one episode where they compared aircraft and cars. apparently, on the airbase in the UK (i think) where they raced F1 cars and the fastest jets, one of the jets on the base has a custom painted red with a huge "999" badge on it. that was pretty cool... almost as cool as when Tiff races a GT3 against a helicopter.

the high-speed test of a BentlyGT was pretty cool, too. if you get Speed, definately check out Fifth Gear.

http://www.five.tv/home/frameset/?content=2284877&

the bottom left of this wesite shows their "shootout." the duc took second, i'm guessing one of the japanese liter bikes may have had a shot of beating the Mosler...

2. oak

oak At Banned Camp

i completely missed this episode. can you let me know when it will air next?

3. That's a great show...difficult to catch on T.V. due to the overwhelming amount of NASCRAP on that channel.

4. oak

oak At Banned Camp

www.finalgear.com

5. +1

That first link brought me to a blank page?

6. spolic

spolic Ducati Pilot

It's was filmed 2 years ago? Cool non-the-less.

[​IMG]

7. Yea its old, cant wait to see a 1098 test vrs something fast.

8. That plane is a Lockheed F-104, the "missile with a man in it." Damn fast. Also used by NASA, with add on reaction jet rockets for training and testing pre-space shuttle. They fly it as high as the jet will go, then kick in a rocket engine, boost the bird to insane altitudes (Over 100K feet as I recall) and you get a few minutes of zero G time to practice flying with reaction jets.

Side note: If you've ever seen the movie "The right stuff" this is the same setup that nearly killed Chuck Yeager. He got into a nose up attitude and couldn't bring the nose of the plane down. Flat spun almost 80k feet and then ejected. The resulting fire (they put pure oxygen into the flight suits and face masks in those days) nearly killed him. He has scars on neck and head from where the rubber seals burnt into his face.

Dave T.
    Airplane geek

9. spolic

spolic Ducati Pilot

Love that movie, and the book.