close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Place to ride for beginners near Puyallup.

Discussion in 'Tacoma-Puyallup' started by Grutch, Aug 21, 2018.

1. I'm teaching my 10 year old son how to ride. I recently purchased a suitable dirt bike for him to learn to ride, but the biggest challenge (and quite a surprise) is finding a place to teach him. We recently went out to Capitol forest with our Registered Bike Stickers, Passes and Spark Arrested bike but found all the terrain pretty rough for a completely beginning rider. It takes us 45 minutes to drive out there, and I'm sure the trails will be great when he's confident and in control but right now we're at a loss to find a decent open space for him to practice stop and gos, turns, shifting, etc before we move him up to rougher terrain and banked turns.
    I drive around Puyallup and see all these open fields which are all private or fenced off government spots and it's so extremely frustrating that we cant use the spot for an hour a so for him to get his bearings. There's even an open field adjacent to my house, but the moment we put him on it the Fkn cops show up and tell us to take it home. Needless to say I'm extremely frustrated with the lack of riding in Washington State of all places which offers so much natural open space.
    There was a thread on places to ride that dates back years. Lets get this up to date with new places, public and private for dirt riding.

2. get it plated, all it needs is a light kit, then go ride forest service roads. that's what i did. peoples favorite offroad places are a secret guarded about as well as their favorite fishing spots, you just gotta go find em by putting in the time to look around

3. Thanks for your response but my kid is 10 years old and his bike would not qualify for plates.

4. So, yeah, ignoring that he's 6 years shy of a license, Washington actually doesn't really care about what kinda dirt bike it is, or size, as long as it has lights, a mirror and a horn, it's pretty much fine. Install a light kit like from Tusk, get a shop to "inspect" it, bring receipt to DOL with paperwork and they'll get you a plate for it.

As side note: I use ONXmaps when i hunt to show me public/private land. It may be beneficial to you for finding public land you can ride on with your kid. You can get a free 7 day trial with it and just start marking down all the areas that look good.