close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adjusting the chain.

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Lucky, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

2001 Hayabusa

A while back, a few people identified a clicking problem of mine as my chain being loose. I'm sorry that I never responded...got busy, yadda yadda.

After riding around another good while, it is evident that you were right. My chain needs to be tightened.

Is this something a semi mechanically inclined person can do? (I can change oil/air filter, but not much else). Or is this something sensitive enough to where I should get some help the first couple of times? Or could I take my Hayabusa to the Honda shop in town (the nearest Suzuki shop is 90+ miles away) and have them do it?

Thanks!

2. Very simple job. Your owners manule should give instructions, just remember always take your time when you are trying something new.

3. know the feeling I just learned how to adjust mine the other day....although the manuals are helpful I found that having someone show me how to do it invaluble. The guy that showed me has been riding 20+ years and was able to get it done in about 10 min.....fairly simple but take your time and make sure that the wheel is straight when you are done...

4. Quite simple. We actually had to do this to KC's bike on the ride yesterday. Can be done with just a crescent wrench.

5. Different on every bike, but even on my single siders its only a 10 min process. Id be more than happy to help if your in spokane sometime soon.

E

6. just make sure you also check that both sides are adjusted the same on the swing-arm marks, a friend of mine years ago pick up his zx7 the thing was different on both sides. just take your time it will be easy for ya once you dive into it.

7. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

please, please, please, double check and make sure your tire's straight. i saw this weekend the consequences of not having an aligned tire... eats your sprocket and definitely isn't safe to possibly having a chain fling off...

8. cordodor

cordodor Retired

on mine, you adjust a bolt just in front of the rear axle that physically pushes the rear axle back toward the rear of the bike, essentially tightening the chain as it went. Good luck Lucky...

9. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

Thanks everybody. This afternoon I tried it out. My book spec said to adjust it so the slack is between 0.8 and 1.2 inches. I wasn't paying attention to my leatherman marks, and ended up tightening it to between 0.8 and 1.2 centimeters. I rolled up and down the driveway a little, and it seemed fine, but fortunately common sense kicked in and I said "That's just way too tight." Then I figured out that I art smart!

Anyway, I got it to 1 inch of slack, and drove it around town. It seems pretty good. I don't know if it's placebo effect, but the bike seems a little more responsive.

My measurement techniques weren't the best, and while the chain is definitely tightened more than it was, it still seems a little more loose than I expected. I tried to drop by the Honda store to sneak a few chain tugs of new bikes, but they had just closed. Maybe I can get somebody who knows what they're doing to pull my chain on the next ride and tell me what they think of it. :mrgreen:

10. one thing about chains is if you get them too tight the chain will eat itself and the sprockets too. worst case you could go to tight and actually bend the countershaft but that is fairly rare.

11. cordodor

cordodor Retired

yeah, better too loose than too tight

12. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

too loose and your chain flies off, gets stuck in your tire and makes you crash... it's not to be loose or tight. just make sure it's got some slack, but not loose enough to cause trouble.

13. cordodor

cordodor Retired

well, true, there is an extreme loose, but just barely too tight will damage your hardware.

14. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

Yeah, I feel pretty good about it. I don't think it's too loose or too tight, but something tells me that it's not in that perfect sweet spot either...

Either way, it was a good experience for me. I'm still riding around today, and checked it again. So far so good.

15. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

don't forget to lube your chain every 400mi or so, that'll probably help out a lot with wear. generally, as soon as the rings are shiny and dry, you should lube up.

wet weather will dry them out quicker, too.