close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Almost highsided today

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by snake, Jul 1, 2005.

1. snake

snake Paralized with excitement

I came so close to highsiding today, it made me slow down for a few minutes. I am still not used to the tire spin power in a corner of the 1k over the 600. It was only in first gear accelerating hard, leaned over pretty good, and there was a little oil on the road. Some how after it started to slide, I found myself standing up on the pegs and the bike was wobling under me.

2. glad you were able to ride through it... :clap

3. G-Spot

G-Spot Pint Size Pimpin'

Certainly glad that you were not hurt! Don't want anything bad to happen to any or our riders!!!

4. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

nothing happened...? well that's no fun... :mrgreen:

totally glad you made it through...

5. If you're good you will experience this 50x + for every time you bite it.. this is a very important skill and requires cool under fire.

6. You also learn to run them through the corners in 2nd. Throw some diablos on it, you go through them quick but they don't slide around once warm like bstones-

First gear can be deadly on 1k's -sounds like you slid rolled of fthe throttle and it stood straight up-scary for sure

Glad you didn't wreck such a nice ride- Also make sure and set your sag ifr you haven't already-supsension is the most neglected thing by most riders-also suzuki suspension has got to be the worst on the market these days-the rear shock is a POS mushy pogo stik at least on the 03's-

7. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

i was sliding the rear on my bike all day yesterday, and i agree with both points LRG brough up.

i just changed from the stock bt014's to avon pro's. the pro's are supposed to be a stickier track/street tire. they are stickier, but more significantly, instead of sticking well then suddenly breaking loose, which seemed to be a characteristic of the bt014's, these seem to stick well then break loose gradually, so i know when i'm reaching the edge of the tires grip and i can litereally spin the tire up intentionally around corners. seems to be a lot safer.

the other thing is suspension. i'm sure that would help dramatically. but the more i learn about suspension, the less i know. it can be very complex, i've heard that whole volumes have been written on motorcycle suspension. i guess the way to do it is start with ONE SETTING ONLY at a time so you know what you changed, then go try it out.

i set my bike to what one of the magazines said was best...

8. snake

Yeah I slide it around corners, but this time it broke completly loose and I probably let up on the throttle. I like the idea of the tire breaking loose gradually, I will have to look into that. The only problem with adjusting to the magazine settings is that at 140 lb, I am lighter than most riders.

9. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

yeah, your a bit lighter... probably the average rider in the mags... 160-180... its a reference point at least... i'm 150, and i think the settings are a little stiff for me.

10. Go to the mechanical section it tells you how to set your sag-basically by preloading the spring(s) you get it working in optimum range.

First set you sag- the bikes don't come set for yopur weight

Then you can experiment with your rebound and compression settings-If you need info on this I can provide you with good links or answers-
    Unsure of the 05 spring rates but at your weight I am sure you probably need less preload on both ends-

Good point jafar-At least when I broke the diablos loose they are very controlled-the don't do that I am on a sheet of ice one minute, then grab -they are great on wet roads and paint lines

11. snake

Yeah, I had diablos on my 600 and they felt real good.
    I do know how to set sag, etc. I just haven't had time yet.

12. Freaky deaky! glad you are ok....I think the bridgestones don't break loose as controlled as metzlers or dunlops....

rolling off the throttle can be a bad thing when you are getting sideways while leaned over but when there is oil or gravel on the road...that is another kind of animal and I think every instance carries with it a different technique.

Good Job!!!

Where were you at and wich corner?

13. snake

Hwy 2 exit onto Sunset. Did a rolling stop and stabbed the throttle. So it wasn't moving too fast. Probably would have just busted up the bike.