close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any owners out there?? ktm 690 vs klr 650??

Discussion in 'Adventure Time' started by stricmic000, Aug 26, 2014.

1. ok, klr vs 690 vs anything i missed??

FIRST: i have been riding for 16 ish years, 24000 miles on street and several hundred hours on dirt so just assume for this article i am a skilled rider who can handle most bikes and most terrain

My Goals.
    1. carry enough gear to go camping for a couple days (storage box for a fullsize helmet on each side is sufficient)
    2. ride pavement up to 250 miles a day
    3. be able to ride single track, (like ANY trail at tahuya without having to walk the bike much)
    4. be under 450lbs with full tank

OK onto the BIKES
    !. ktm 690 enduro R
    pros,
    Fast, cool, light
    cons,
    not comfy, limited luggage options, buzzy on highway?

2,Klr New edition
    pros,
    lots of luggage options, Good on highway, longer range
    cons,
    slow, heavy, bad on single track

3. bmw
    not an option, too expensive to fix and break down too often

4. ktm 990 adv, too heavy and too expensive vs the 1190 which is much better but still way to heavy of a class of bike

5. ok maby i could be convinced on the 990 adv

ok my opinion is i really like the klr but i also wanna go fast...
    Thanks for your input!

2. I think for these very reasons people own multiple bikes. I've owned a 690 and a freeway cruising touring type comfortable bike it was not.

3. DRZ400 or KTM 525
    Neither the KLR650 or KTM690 will do tough singletrack. (Unless you're a big brute like David Knight)
    You really need more than one bike.

4. Yours is a dream dreamed by many. But it is a dream. Big bikes are not little bikes.

Get 2.

5. 690 will do almost any singletrack you can find, just a bit slower than a true dirtbike. I rode a KLR around Alaska once, and it's a nice, comfy, relaxed bike. Nothing at all like a 690...not better or worse, just different. Nowhere near as dirt capable, much shorter, below average suspension/motor...but a fun bike. The 690 is certainly better offroad than any drz. I've done OBCDR for 8 days on it carrying everything, with 3 other riders, 2 of which also bought 690's (and also amateur racers), the other was a retired pro that picked an rxv. We all found it the perfect long distance light adventure bike. It does ride tall which is a turn off for shorter riders.

For your four requirements, especially 250 miles of pavement, it's the best choice, assuming you can find one. For less pavement and more dirt, a 500exc with increased oil capacity would also work, as would a few options from Husky.

6. to compare the klr 650 to the 690 enduro you might as well toss a klx 250 in there as well. buy what bike you want, to compare the two you are comparing and trying to make a decision off of their differences is going to depend on you, not the bikes... you might as well ask yourself, "do i want a street bike? or do i want a dirtbike?" that is how different those two bikes are. a honda xrl650 would be a better comparison, and a happy medium based on the two bikes you have chosen to consider.

cheers.

7. Are u saying the 690 is best choice?

8. Harder to find, but look at the Husky TR650 Terra. Wet weight is around 405 to 410 lbs with a full tank, mine with a PCV tuned by Nels puts out about 50 whp on the dyno. Bought mine new this past spring for about $6,750, seen a couple of used ones going for about $5,000 to $5,500.

Also, the Honda XR650R would be a good alternative bike, they are pretty light weight for a 650 (around 300 to 310 lbs I think) and put out some good power.

But like others have said, it's hard to find a bike that excels at doing all of the types of riding you listed, will have to find a good compromise if you want to stay with one bike.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  9. Yes, in my opinion, it is. Personally, I value performance above all after racing enduro's for years, so I tend to lean more towards dirt performance now(in a dualsport) as my pavement racing was almost 20 years ago. The 690 is 50 lbs heavier than a 500 and rides much taller, but is more stable on pavement and has more grunt, and generally more relaxed over long distances. I have no desire to ride anything heavier off pavement, but many do and have a great time. I absolutely believe it accomplishes all 4 of your goals better than any other bike, but if you relax a bit on those a bike can be had for MUCH less money, and be close to it's performance.

anyway, opinions are opinions...grain of salt and all that.

10. The KLR is a giant rolling wobbly turd..

Its great for commuting in the rain..
    - crap suspension
    - crap brakes
    - crap riding position

The latest models are even bigger than the previous gen. Have seen people throw a bunch of money at them.. only to find out they are still giant wobbly turds. (the motor is bullet proof and a bin anemic)

The 690 is a great machine.. with panniers and all decked out its going to be heavy on singletrack, but it can be done.

11. I test rode a KLR650, 2009 model, and I was not impressed. I felt big, and it seemed to lack the "get up and go" I was looking for. My DRZ400 out preforms it IMO. I would however, rather take it on a long freeway trip over my DRZ. I don't think I would want to go hard on a KLR off road. Just my .02

12. Don't dismiss the xr650l. Bomb proof, OK on the street, and I've done enough single track on one to know its pretty capable. Not fast, but capable.

13. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

^This, mine weighs about 300 with gas, makes 52 HP nearly stock on Nel's dyno, cruises fairly effortlessly at 70 mph (much smoother than old LC4), is easy to maintain, and is stone reliable. But you do have to kick start it.

14. now im gonna sound like an idiot but i dont like the drz650 or xr650 due to their dirt bike like nature...that being said i am leaning toward the 690 over the klr, the comments and information i youve given me lead me to belive i would be bored with a klr after not very long, maby ill have to suffer a bit on the highway but im a grownup i can handle it.

Thanks for your advise ill test ride both just to be sure but i hope to buy before next summer!

15. A buddy tried to ride his 690 up Bishop Ridge at Gifford last year. It is not the toughest trail there, but he could not get to the top. And he's a decent rider, the bigger bikes make tough trails tougher..

You'll just have to test ride some until you find what you like, but there is no perfect "do it all" bike. I have a $2000 KLR for highway and forest roads, and a $2000 KDX220 (with dualsport kit) for everything else.

16. Listen to Pete, XR650 plenty around already converted to road legal and nice once can be had for $3500, give or take. 690s are great bikes, but expensive and TALL. Im sure I'll get an argument here but Id be really surprised if a XR650R's engine wouldn't outlast a 690 on hiway duty. Ive tried to fined the same wonderbike as you for decades, thought I was close with the XR, but I have a 950 for bigger cruises. Save hard and try to get two bikes, you will love it

17. yard sale

yard sale snowshoe kitten... prrr...

dunno about the enduro version but the 690sm does not do well in the forest.

18. well.
    you want a dirt bike that isn't a dirt bike.
    you're not going to be happy.

19. Well, there alot of votes here to get a more dirt oriented machine, my next option is to get two bikes (as stated by several people)

I would have to get some dirt bike probably a 250 or whatever and a klr, cause i still need to keep up with/not leave in the dust, my buddy with the klr.

Soo what about the klr vs 990 adv which are only available used now (if u can find ont at all)

20. I got a big dual sport because I had friends with big dual sports.

Then, I got what I really wanted instead.