close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone interested in making some $

Discussion in 'Eastside' started by fj1200, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Teach me how to adjust the valves on my Ally..... :rant

2. ask rotordrvr. He even has a garage, of sorts. =)

3. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Its not very difficult, the only thing you need to do. Is get some torque specs for the valve cover and valves, before anyone can help ya.

4. Have Them..... From what I hear, the desmo's are not fun to set.......

5. eric "fighterama" may be able to help as well

6. Help a brotha out!!! I will also offer beer or beverage of choice.... After we get it done..... crackup:

7. On a duc desmo? Have fun :shock: I think it's almost a 5 hour job for a pro!

8. I was told 2 hours by Beaudry....

9. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

i thought this was going to be a thread about prostitution...

are valve adjustments really that easy? i was looking through my service manual and it looks way super complicated... and i think i'd have to get more tools...

10. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Sorry I did not know it was on Duke... Good luck! Yes as a matter of fact it is very simple to adjust valves on 95% of the bikes out there. Inline fours and v-twins are simple, unless there a Ducati.

It is just takes some time to do it right, but very simple!
    You have to take your plastic off, then the gas tank, the airbox, the fuel rail if it is f/i or carb. Then pull the plugs somewhere along the lines, and then pull the valve cover(s) off. Then take a gapper and gap your valves to spec.

See, very simple, you just got take everything off first.

11. my bike is carb'd and I don't think you have to take them off, the plastic is not hard at all!!!! The tank comes right off...

12. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

I have never worked, let alone looked closely at a Ducati, so I am not sure what all would be involved..... I have worked on a few Hondas, my newest Kawi '03 636, and helped neighbor with an endless list of vintage to modern bikes of everymake.

You could try Fighterama, he has 749 Ducati, he might know what to do.

13. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

hmmm. might have to look more into doing this myself...

14. valve adjustments are relativly easy, they just take some time.

15. I have alot of knowlege about V8 muscle cars.... Just nothing about bikes!!!
    Here is my other fun ride..... I bulit it from scratch... She has a little 150 shot. No, I wont trade it for a valve adjust.....
    [​IMG]

16. It sounds simple enough, like adjusting the valves in a car, you just gotta take alot more sh*t off first!

17. thats wicked man...my first car was a '66 mustang coupe, mostly stock but had the 289 (wonder-motor) and 3 on the floor. But damn that mustang cancer!

18. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

R6Fireman You got it!

It is just as easy as changing the oil, it just take 100 time longer. And the most important thing you can do, is go buy the torque specs and the pattern to do them in. If you over tighten or dont tighten the valve covers correctly you could have a mess and then need a new valve cover gasket.
    You should be able to re-use the original Gasket as well.

So if ne one is gonna tackle this themselves be sure you get the correct specs.

19. Hey the valve servicing isnt hard, checking the gaps isnt too terrible, but you need the service manual as I dont have the specs. Its not easy, because you have openers AND closers, its not just one measurement a valve. I dont do them on my bike as it requires motor removal and I just cant get it done expediently with my home shop. Id be more than happy to help with yours though if you needed it.

E

20. Very cool! Thanks Fighterama!!! Where are you located? I am up at Shadle... :clap