close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone own a '12-'13 Honda CBR 1000RR

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by goslow, Mar 6, 2014.

1. I was wondering your impressions of the bike.

-Mods that should be done?
    -Mods that need to be done?
    -In sportbike terms, how comfortable is it?
    -How well does the new BFP suspension work?
    -Any recalls?
    -Any known issues?
    -What do you like/dislike about it?
    -Would you buy one again?

Thanks 8)

2. Hey Dave, you adding or replacing?

3. Replacing. The Tuono is gone! Aprilia bought it back from me. :mfclap:

4. Nice! Can you add anything to the questions I asked?

5. I have not done any modes, I like the way the stock can sounds, and 155whp plenty of power, the stock tires are crap get some good tires

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. I don't have the revised generation, but my '09 is still very similar. I can provide some feedback on mine at least (and if it's of no interest to you then sorry).

The bike is very good in stock form. It really depends on what you are using the bike for ie. short street rides, longer rides, track, etc. but I don't feel that there are any 'MUST be done' mods. However, IMO, mods that should be done are: Power commander + IRC. The stock tuning is choked, and the ignition is programmed to detune from 10k to redline. The PC is not just for max power, it's more about rideability and unlocking that mid-range power. Beyond that, rearsets were a must for me for the adjustability. I went with Vortex - they're been great so far. A slip-on is pretty standard for sound preference, but it also removes the exhaust flapper and cat which also helps performance.

It is a "comfortable" sportbike IMO. Fairly roomy for myself being 6'2" (especially with aftermarket adjustable rearsets). I have done 16k street miles on mine, including an 8 day trip to Monterey, CA and back.

I have no experience with the BPF forks, but the old system was very good. When you really start getting 'fast' at the track, the first limitation is the rear shock not the forks.

I am not aware of any recalls or issues on the newer years. The '08s and '09s had intermittent issues with the piston rings sealing - basically they burnt oil at a moderate rate.

I like everything about the bike. IMO it looks good and performs every task from street riding to track riding flawlessly. Reliability has been absolutely perfect. The only thing it lacks is some 'character' in sound and appearance, and some of the electronic goodies (traction/wheelie control)

7. I have nothing to add to the OP question, but I sat on one at the IMC and it felt very comfortable....comparable to my VFR800. I was very surprised and it's kinda on my radar also...

8. The bpf or a bott stiff and rear shock is a bit soft. I can ride for about an hour before I need to stop, seat is like sitting on padded board. Unless you are canyon carving then you don't notice the uncomfortable seat. I am 6'1'' tall the bike was designed for some one infer 6 feet tall, I feels a little cramped to me. No I would not buy another one I would probably get an R1 next time

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

I take it you had trouble with the Tuono?

10. Dave, you're more than welcome to come and get my bike and use it for a couple weeks. It should give you a general feel of the newer bike. I have the Ohlins TTX rear shock, which is what Honda compares their new shock to and the forks are also Ohlins.

11. Thanks for the offer Mark. I believe I'm pulling the trigger on one saturday.

12. Nice! I think you're gonna love it!

13. If you can swing it, get the 2014 SP version with the nice Ohlins and Brembo goodies

14. [​IMG]

I have a 12 and haven't had any problems with it. I'm 5'9, 170 and I have no comfort issues. One thing that helped out is Hondas energy seat. A little pricey but worth it.

As for the mods. I put braided lines, bmc air filter, arrow full exhaust and a flashed ecu. She dynoed at 165 on redline's dyno.

I would buy another. :)

15. [MENTION=10675]svt_extreme[/MENTION] you're up. Pm him if he doesn't jump in. Kevin and Mark are right on. They make a great street sportbike with the strong mid range for an I-4.
    I also have had the pleasure of chasing them both around the track too and slow does not come to mind.
    Fwiw I had an 08 that was a great bike. Very neutral in the handling. I am only 5'8" and I felt it fit me very well stock. It never burned any oil when I got rid if it but I couldn't get past the constant paranoia of when or if it was going to start. To my knowledge burning oil issues have been long gone with the newer models.

Derick

16. DAVE!!!! What happened to the bmw you were looking at?

It is a shame the SP doesn't have abs or traction control. Honda is a bit behind the curve on adding the cool goodies to their bike.

I loved my 06 cbr, but I sent it down the road as it was closing in on 50k. I went to the dealership to look at an 2012 but they didn't have it set up so I bought the 2011 R1. I love the crossplane but I miss the comfort and handling of the cbr.

I sat on the SP at the bike show and it felt good. Maybe I can get one for Jen then just borrow it all the time. We can hit Johnston Ridge while she is at work.

17. Decided against buying the 1st year of a new model again. I learned my lesson!

Im fine without all the electronics as long as its as mild mannered on the street as the reviewers and owners say.

18. svt_extreme, the bike looks good. Same color scheme im looking at.

19. I've always wondered if that color scheme is a revisit to the 1990 Cbr1000f. Looks good.