close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are aftermarket plastics worse than stock?

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by beansbaxter, Jun 5, 2005.

1. I have a very good friend who owns a body shop who I inquired about repairing my 12, I was asking him about aftermarket plastics, and how hard to get them drilled for mounting and have him paint them. He replied with this email:

Is what he said true? This is the first thing I've heard where I feel convinced that I should just stick with the oem plastics. Let's hear some feedback!!

2. I know on the euro bikes its a leaps and bounds difference between resale as well as fitment. Headlight alignment NEVER works on custom plastics, thats why you always see custom headlight assy's on sharkskinz bikes. Id go stock, but in all honesty, Id just repaint yours, they arent bad at all, and a little plastic welding would get them back in one piece.

E

3. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Check out www.oppracing.com, get some carbon fiber body work on there and I guarntee your bike will be faster. Just cause of the shear weight you'll be saving. And it also looks sweet as hell!

4. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

aftermarket plastics will never fit as good as oem plastics. i'm not sure i'd believe the dude about them slowing your bike down, but do as you like. besides, what're you trying to do? break the sound barrier?

5. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

6. I went oem. Put a HUGE order in with ronayers.com

I actually think it's about the same dollar for dollar, but there is no hassle with mounting and drilling with the oem stuff.

Plus I can keep my bike blue, which was a limited run that year.

7. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

i'd go stock, too. but mainly only because its easier. who cares if you can only go 192 instead of 200mph? your governed at 186, and i'll pass you on my 6 doing that out of corners and braking!