close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are tattoos taboo?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Matin99, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Does anyone have tattoos? If not how do you feel about body art in reguards to the art of tattooing. Some believe they are trashy and degrading and others believe they are sacred and spiritual. Can anyone speak for humanity in a whole sure they can but not without listening to others opinions first. So Im courious how my sport bike buddies feel and think about tattooing. Personally I have four tattoos and will be going into Falling Moon Studious on 22nd of June to finish up a half leg sleeve. How about anyone else?

Matin...

2. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

don't know many people who don't have one... it's your body, who's to say what you do and don't do with it? people who think tattoos are trashy, even small ones no bigger than a quarter, need to open up their minds just a little bit. sure there's a limit, ie when you can't even see your skin because you've got so many tats, but again, don't judge someone because they recognized their free will to be able to do what they want with their body.

there's dumb tats and cool tats, just like people.

3. I don't have any, but I also don't have a problem with people getting them. I think it is more of a personal choice than anything else. Besides I hate needles.

4. +1

5. If it werent for my job, Id have a couple. I dont have any, but they can purvey your personality in creative ways.

E

6. Sounds like everyone is riding the same track of open-minded points of veiw in reguards to tats.

Fighterama what kind of work do you do. You a Doc? Im studying the art of nursing and currently work in the health professional fields. Tatts havnt been a problem.

7. All I can say is we don't have any and it turns both blondie and I off when we see them on a girl.. ditto for piercings.. nothing is more beautiful than a natural, sexy girl, exactly as the big guy made her.

Historian here...Many of us (maybe me included) have Pictish blood and these early Scottish people were in fact named for being the "pictured" or "painted " men. They also fought their enemies naked, snow or sunshine and I must not have much if any Pict blood because neither idea appeals to me :shock: :lol:

8. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Never really wanted any tattoos, but I think it's mainly because I could never think of anything that had enough meaning to me that I wanted it on my body for the rest of my life. I think some people's tats are pretty cool, especially when they have a special reason for getting them - ie in memory of a friend/family member, to commerate some special life event, etc.

Sometimes I like them just 'cause they look cool, but generally I think there's way too many guys are who are like, "Dude, I wanna get one of those sweet barbwire tats and around my arm, that'd be kickass! Oh, and throw in some Kanji characters...No, I don't give a shit what they mean." And there are WAY too many girls who do the typical trendy design on their lower back/upper ass...weak sauce.

You really gotta come up with something at least semi-original I think, otherwise you end up with some silly-ass trend on you that, ten or twenty years down the line, you regret. Like, "Damn, this 'Whitesnake Rocks' tattoo was cool back when I had big hair and a bitchin' El Camino, but now I really wish it said, 'Limp Bizkit Rocks' instead, because now I got this sick goatee and a sweet Escalade."

Riiiiiiiiiight.

So if I ever think of anything important/cool enough that I think it should be a part of my body, I'd do it. 'Til then, I'm keepin my skin REEaal!

9. Im a firefighter/paramedic, so we have uniform standards that we are required to keep (why I dont have a goatee, tats, etc). I personally am a big car buff, so I would have probably done either dual full sleeves of '50s hotrod flames on my arms or flames from the waistline to the top of my neck. Either way, BIG $$$ and cant do it for work. Sad eh?

E

10. KCander

A firefighter with flame tattoos?! :violent3: :blob6:

11. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

I think tattoos are cool! Would like to get one, somewhat involved with my motorcycling stuff. Just haven't been able to come up with a cool enough design; to want and have it forever.
    Anyways, people should be able to do what they want with there bodys. If you have a religous bias or you just dont like them, then that is good for you. If you love tattoos and want them all over, then that is good as well. Its a free country, so you can practically do what you want with yourself as long as it is with in reason.

12. Interesting... at my department, the only requirements were that while wearing your most exposing uniform: your tshirt and pants, you can't have any tats showing. One of my buddies actually got 3 nautical stars, one on each bicep, and one under his watch, so he can hide it while in uniform. :roll: anyway.

Here are mine:

The heart with Marysia written above it: that's my real name. (phonetically: Mar-isha). It's on my lowwwwer torso, kinda on my hip, but much more inward. :wink: Got that in Maui, and it's written in my dad's handwriting, and this was right after we became best friends. He died less than a year later, so this means a lot to me.

The heart in the palm: OW! I've had it done 4 times and it's still not fully dark. Going in again on Monday after getting back from my ride to Seattle. It took me about 7 tries to find a shop that would do it b.c most won't since the palm is one of the two most painful spots to have it done (the other is the neck).. the 20 minutes that it takes to have it redone are killer, they have to follow the grooves in your skin to get it deeper in... but I love it. My mom has one to match, but hers is not on her palm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Whoa! nice Ass... i mean tatoo, Trixie! :shock:

I actually like tats... I've got two that I designed myself... probably get a third... but still working on the design.

I've got one on my right arm/shoulder (Big cross with flames, scorpions, and lots of symbolism for me... ) and on my back/shoulder blade (Inti the Inca Sun god... again more about me) I'll have to get pictures taken... I can't quite reach to get the shots. :roll:

Both are black... I like color tats for chics and for great sleaves, or asian traditional... otherwise, I prefer solid/bold black lines.

14. Noooooo!!! That's not one of those lame-female-center-lower-back tats!! I HATE THAT! It's on the front, but pretty much same general area, just a little offset to my right. In other words, a bikini usually covers it. 8)

15. It's inside of the lines :oops:

16. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

not sure i'd ever get a pre-made tat. got one on my ankle and thinking of putting another one between my shoulder blades...

17. KCander

Dude, with all your graphics arts skills, can't you just make yourself some sort of vinyl tattoo? That way if you get sick of it, you can eventually peel it off...

18. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

imagine vinyl being stuck on your skin for years... then peeling it off... reminds me of cooked chicken skin...

designed my own tattoo on my ankle. i'd have a design similar to what's on the back of my helmet put on my back, if ya remember what that looks like...

nice tats, trixie. both are cute. the palm one looks like it hurt...

19. I think Ink can mean many things to many people. I'm all for em. I currently have two and am fighting the urge for a third. A small one on my ankle I got about ten years ago and just recently a larger Celtic one in solid black I designed to represent recent events in my life. A Trinity knot between my shoulder blades with a tribal design across the back of my shoulders. Personaly, when done right, a lower back or inner hip tat on a women is sexier than hell.

Curt