close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bags...

Discussion in 'The Dalles' started by Silver600rr, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I know there's a few sport bike riders here. I've been looking at bags for my cbr600rr. What I've found are either really ugly or expensive or don't even fit my bike. I've looked at cortech, sw motech, and the twisted throttle dry bags. Trying to make my bike more versatile since I can't afford another bike... Anyone have any input? Thanks

2. Dr. E

Dr. E Theoretical Propagandist

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

3. I have Nelson-Rigg saddlebags that I used on the Hayabusa on long trips. They are pretty good quality.

4. I'm not sure what they make for your bike, but I've been VERY happy with my SW Motech racks and Givi hard bags. Not cheap, but they work perfectly.

Highly recommended!

[​IMG]

5. Cortech, and I have tested mine beyond reasonable, and they just keep going. Best bang for the buck I have spent in a long time, and these bags are nearing eight years in use.

Short trips.
    [​IMG]

Long trips....
    [​IMG]

6. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

Cortech tailbag and saddle bags. All expandable. All have exterior pockets for little shit you might need while on the road. Easy to put on the bike. Can be used separately or together. For short trips alone I use the tailbag. For short trips with the wife I use the saddle bags. For longer trips alone I use all three. Also easy to strap more stuff on top if needed, like for a week of camping in the pics below. Not too expensive, and you can sometimes find them lightly used for even cheaper if you keep an eye out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. The soft bags look like good options, as stated the SW Motecs and Givi's are expensive but worth it.

Here are my Givi's on the MT racks. I use a Givi soft tail bag and tank bag also.

I forgot to mention I use the Bike Guys aluminum flat rack on my seat for the tailbag, keeps the bag from rubbing the bodywork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. The Cortech tail and saddle bag combo works great. They are even "semi"-fireproof. Don't ask me how I know.

9. Thanks for the responses and pictures. I like the way the cortech's look. From what I've heard they seem to be built well. I was worried about them rubbing the paint. I saw they make a clear film. Cheaper the better for me right now.

10. I looked at the flat rack, might be a good option. Sw motech blaze are only made for 07s and up due to the trim over the pegs. I could make a lowering bracket but once again there a little spendy. Cortechs are looking better and better...

11. I have Dowco Fastrax Elite saddle bags and am quite happy with them. They come with several interchangeable color panels to match your bike. I have the red panels installed.

[​IMG]

12. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

It's a non issue. On the side of the bag that touches the paint, they have a layer of 1/4" foam rubber, with a layer of nylon or some kind of other slippery synthetic shit guaranteed to destroy the environment.

If you are still worried, ask your wife or girlfriend to buy you a roll of shelf paper (you know, that cute flowery paper she lines the cupboards and silverware drawers with...yeah, I know, we thought women were useless outside the bedroom and the kitchen, but it turns out they know how to protect sportbike bodywork too) and apply that to the areas on your bodywork where the bags touch. It has a very lightweight sticky that holds it in place, and you can peel it off when you return from a trip. It protects the bodywork and leaves no sticky shit behind.

Voilà!

Edit: oops...just checked and they don't have the slippery environmentally harmful shit...just the foam rubber. Of course that and or the shelf paper still does the trick. After two years of use I have no marks from the bags...wish I could say the same for my lame ass boots scratching the tail piece as I threw my leg over my bike one day.

13. Rather destroy the environment than body work. I know exactly what your talking about. Good call. Wife has rolls of it. Thanks for the info everyone I definitely appreciate it

14. Also if you know someone with a sewing machine, you can make a custom blanket (much like a saddle blanket) that fits in to protect the paint. A small folded bath towel works too.

After several years of use, the foam rubber padding gets dirt and grit in it that wont come out, and on a long trip will scuff paint. Mine started doing that, no damage that couldn't be rubbed out and waxed, but I made a saddle bag blanket and wash it regularly.

15. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

Dude, that's a fucking great idea. A saddle blanket, just like the old cowboys.

I think I'll have to ask my little girl to loan me her mini serape I bought her.

Edit: this year at sbnw, imma have a pink serape protecting the paint on my r6.:evil4:

16. xpel.com has the 3M clear film. I have that on my bike in areas that may get worn over time. Easy to apply and keeps the paint from damage.

17. I definately wanted the sw motech, but they don't make them for 05's. I looked into making a mount for them though. Still have a while before I can even get m bike out of the shop...damn snow

18. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012