close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brake pad changing noob...

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Sgt.Young, Sep 25, 2015.

1. After watching alll the youtube videos I possibly can, I decided to just replace my brake pads on the front and back of my Gixxer 600 myself. Everything looks pretty straight forward.... Anything I should know before I begin? Tips/Advice are well appreciated. Wish me luck, and thanks in advanced!

2. Everything has to be clean, here's what I do:

-Remove the caliper assembly from the bike
    -Leave the break line connected
    -Clean caliper assembly with warm water, dishwasher detergent and a bristle brush
    -Make sure the caliper piston(s) is/are clean
    -Thoroughly clean the piston with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol
    -Use only enough alcohol needed to clean, do not use copious amounts
    -On single piston calipers there is a stamped spring which helps hold the pads in place
    -There are little, (for want of a better term) indexing tabs on the spring
    -The tabs are about 1/3rd of the way in from the non-piston side
    -They're designed to hold the non-piston pad against the caliper
    -When you remove the pads the spring may fall out
    -If it does make sure you don't install it backwards
    -Brake fluid need to be replaced on a regular basis
    -Easiest way to do it is with a vacuum pump
    -If you don't have one just have somebody work the brake pedal/lever while you open and close the bleed screw
    -Brake fluid is cheap and bike reservoirs are small
    -I usually pump the reservoirs down 1-1/2 to 2 times
    -Hope this helps

Sgt.Young likes this.

3. RaceFreak

RaceFreak formerly gixxerboy2

You watched all the youtube videos you could and you still want more advice on how to change your brake pads?

I don't mind coming off like an asshole once in a while, because this is dumb. WHY??? WHY?? I can only imagine there's a billion how to's and youtube diy tutorials on gsxr's specifically. WHY??? Why has internet become the land of the "I can't think for myself, I'm afraid" Sometimes, I feel dumb for even looking online how to do simple things, but then I see posts like this and it makes me really disappointed with where we are headed as a society.

So, here's what you do. Get off your computer, you've already looked up how to do it. You don't need anymore advice.

Go to your bike, grab a wrench and do it. This isn't rocket science. you don't need cotton swabs and tooth fairies. you don't need penis pumps for sucking out brake fluid. You just need to grab a tool and do it. Don't second guess yourself. Just do it. If somehow you manage to mess up installing brake pads, which btw, is every difficult, you will know you messed up. It is more complicated to write out this entire rant than it is to change your brake pads.

Btw, this isn't aimed at you Sgt. young, this is aimed at all those before and after you, who ask dumb questions. When I was 17, I met a guy from peurto rico, He put a rotary engine in a geo tracker. He didn't look up how, or what would happen if. He didn't care too much about the structural integrity or if it would line up with this or that. He DID IT, and he MADE IT WORK.

why are we so helpless...?? Why has the internet made people overthink everything. Just do it. You learn a lot more by doing, than asking questions.

This is pent up frustration I've had for a while after seeing so many pointless and helplessly dumb questions posted online. Maybe it's because majority of the sport rider scene that exists on this forum works for some software tech company and they have soft hands or something. IDK.

Sgt.Young likes this.
  4. Hey Sarge, if you have any other questions you can either post or PM me. I'm rapidly turning into an old fart but have figured out one or two things working on bikes over the past 45+ years.

I was once young and couldn't always get everything needed from the manual. Older riding buddies were invaluable, (no internet back then). Only glad to pass on any help or information I can.

5. @RaceFreak , have a Snickers....

Like you, I sure, I do 99% of the work on my vehicles and home myself. It is a rare day that I get to talk to a mechanic. I've done motor swaps, transmissions, brakes, starters, alternators, head swaps...with the exception of the machining, if it can be done on a car I've probably done it. When I got my bike it was another world though, until it wasn't. By that I mean once I got into it I realized that it wasn't THAT different from auto mechanics. Yes, I just did it at times, but I also went in with knowledge gained from the web.

While I generally agree with your rant, there are those in our society who keep mechanics in business. I applaud those who try to break out and learn to do things on there own.

Sgt.Young likes this.
  6. Just dive in and you'll be fine. Youtube vids give you just enough info to get yourself through a generic process, but not much help if you run into specific problems. If everything goes smooth then bam you're done. If you do run into problems just post up for help and there are plenty of bike geeks on here that are happy to help out without being dicks about it.

Sgt.Young likes this.
  7. One last item I neglected to mention earlier:

-There is a steel pin that runs the width of the caliper
    -It runs through both pads
    -It is threaded for a short distance on the outer side of the caliper
    -Some calipers also have a slotted plug covering the pin
    -If you ride your bike during the winter the liquid salt solution they spray on the roads will get in, making removal difficult
    -I coat these threads with Loctite 567 thread sealant
    -567 is a non to semi hardening white paste thread sealant
    -It works wonders at protecting the threads
    -Never seize or grease will probably work but thread sealant will not wash out and there is zero risk of getting a drop on the brake pads
    -Any non or semi hardening white paste thread sealant will work

Sgt.Young likes this.
  8. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

When you're done, always bed the pads. Do about 10 moderately hard stops from 40-50 mph. Then you should be good to go.

Sgt.Young likes this.
  9. More or less all the needed tip on how to replace the pads on your brakes have been mention by other forumers. It would also be a good idea to flush and drain your fluid as part of your maintenance. Just make sure to bleed thoroughly the system after wards.

10. Hope this video would be helpful to you.