close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

By the way...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Apr 11, 2005.

1. ...in light of all the Rossi hoopla (and Lord knows I am a big fan of Rossi), it is important to note Shinya took 5th. The new Kawi motor seems to be working well.

2. yeah....especially when it doesn't detonate on the first lap!!! There superbike program SUCKS! Just my 2 cents.

3. Really, in the grand scheme of the world and the history of racing, has Kawi ever really accomplished anything?

E

4. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

they've invented the crappiest color of green in the world. :mrgreen:

5. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

actually, Kawi dominates certain classes. for instance, AMA Supersport. The Kawi team, composed of the Hayden brothers, were number one and two in the season points standings. the closest other bike was the yamaha of Aaron Gobert, some 59 points behind.

they were only off the podium 6 times, and between the two of them won 8 races.

in superstock, T. Hayden (Kawi) finished the year third, only 7 points behind the Yamaha riding Champion, A. Gobert (313 for Tommy and 320 for Aaron). Roger Hayden on the other Kawi finished with 268 points.

Kawi was relatively absent from Formula Extreme and Superbike, but i'm not even sure if they had a Factory team in those classes. I know they didn't have one in Superbike.

My theory is that Kawi only has so much money to spend on racing, so it has to pick certain classes for its factory support team. as far as motoGP goes, the big 990cc 4-stroke bikes have only been competing for a few years, and if you get a rough start, it might take awhile to get back in the swing of things--i mean, they're still sorting out they're firing times on they're engines, as is Ducati.

6. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

only .7s behind 4th place, not bad...

News, 04/11/05

Shinya Nakano snatched fifth place yesterday in the first leg of the Gran Premio Marlboro de España, putting his new Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR through its paces to take 11 points.

Nakano settled into fifth place on lap one, riding alone for much of the first half of the race. Late on in the race he closed in on Brazilian Alex Barros as he tried to move up to forth, eventually finishing a close 0.7 seconds behind the Honda rider, a result with which he was thrilled.

“This is a fantastic start to the season for Kawasaki's new big-bang motor; I'm obviously very happy. All the engineers at Kawasaki have done an excellent job, the engine was strong and there is more performance to come. Also my Bridgestone tyres were very good in these conditions.”

“From the start I pushed very hard, but I just could not stay with the leading group, it was difficult to keep pace riding alone. I kept pushing until the finish and even when Barros overtook me I could follow his pace and I didn't lose any more positions.”

German team-mate Alex Hoffman finished in 11th position to grab five points. Having briefly moved into eighth position one lap one, Hoffman slipped back to battle it out with a tight bunch, consisting of double World Superbike champion Colin Edwards, Spaniard Carlos Checa and Max Biaggi, before finally finishing in 11th.

“That was a tough battle in the wind and on a very dusty track. I didn't make my best start, but I was able to make some moves and be eighth on lap one,” commented Hoffman. “It was a very fast pace at the front and I had a very good race with the group that included Edwards, Checa and then Biaggi. I was able to run the same pace through most of the race and had no problems with the new big-bang motor or the Bridgestone tyres. I think I showed my potential today against the guys I raced with.”

Team Manager Harald Eckl was very pleased about the team’s result and the development made with the new “big-bang motor”. The team says the bike is still in the early stages of development and they’re very excited about things to come. The new Bridgestone tyres seemed to suit track conditions and Nakano was the first rider using Bridgestone tyres to cross the finish line.

"A very good start to the season with Shinya and Alex in the points, both with very consistent performances,” said Eckl. “This race has conf

7. I hope the big bang motor gives kawi the chance to really run with the Hondas and the M1.
    Buz.. 8)

8. They were very dominating in endurance racing in the 90s. They've won numerous 600cc titles, Eric. :) That question shows that you really haven't paid attention to the subject matter at all. That's equivalent to sitting through a history class and then at the end of the term, standing up and asking 'so who was that Columbus dude anyway?'. :)

9. No seriously, whos columbus?

I never really kept up on little bikes, just watched premier classes...

E

10. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

yeah.... maybe its a marketing thing. they can't afford to compete in the premier classes, so they focus on the 600s. i think 600s sell more than liter bikes anyway, right?

11. Good point....never thought of that.