Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

can you make a 2005 Honda crf450 street legal in washington?

Discussion in 'Adventure Time' started by syco_cop, Jan 21, 2009.

  1. Anyways I'd like to get a crf 450 for a supermoto project and would like to make it streetlegal, this possible in wa? If so how many hoops would I have to jump thru?
  2. dunno for sure. does it have a standard 17 lettered/numbered vin?

    i know the KTMs you can because the vin doesnt throw a red flag for DOL as an off road only bike.

  3. to my knowledge, no.

    title/MSO is branded as off-road use only. If made street legal in another state, and transferred in; maybe. Even those are being cracked down on though.

    I'm sure we'll reach the same level as Cali, where they've started to recall/rescind registrations of bikes like yours that were squeezed through the cracks. Pulling plates and not renewing tabs last I heard.
  4. Not to mention that the road use would just KILL it. And the oil changes would be pretty impractical.
  5. theJrod

    theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

    Anything is possible.... it's been done before.

    But the one-word answer is no.
  6. Therein lies the argument to keep it dirt only.
  7. tedg04

    tedg04 ted sux

    Number 1 reason to not street legalize a mx bike. Besides, if you were going to, go with a motor that is a little more forgiving. A YZ or KX doesn't need half as much top end work (though the service interval is the same, only the Unicam Honda's are known for consistently being out of spec).
  8. No, Nope and Nada, Washington is cracking down on this, even the KTM,s are starting to get denied.
  9. it's tough in WA, you can get a buddy/friend to register it in oregon, or idaho and just keep it registered there..

    I've had buddies buy bikes out of state (plated) and get denied.

    I have heard of a 'few' katooms getting denied, but it's mostly in the bigger cities, out in the sticks, the will usually just plate em.

    Huskies, husabergs, ktm's all have different titles vs the big 4. so lots more luck getting one plated.
  10. Note though that in CA they actually REVOKED some of the licenses so even after getting a title it might still be somewhat risky.
  11. GixxerPete

    GixxerPete Forum Synopsizer

    CA is *way* more anal about that stuff than WA (and WA is bad enough as it is). I think the worst that would happen here is it would simply be denied. I haven't heard of anyone having a license revoked after the fact? Mostly it's just a PITA to get it done in the first place.

    Then there's still the issue that a bike like CRF450 would blow up in short order ridden on the street, or require much maintenance to prevent it from blowing up. Not really worth it IMO when there are plenty of better choices for a street tard/dual sport. Unless you just wanted it legal for fire roads etc and had no intention of really riding it on the street, kinda like the KTM 450/530 EXC-Rs.
  12. :secret: Get a DRZ.... :secret:
  13. tedg04

    tedg04 ted sux

    the drz is a pig compared to any mx450
  14. :werd
  15. Yes just take your registration in and say you never got a plate for your bike and would like to get one today. They should not even need to see the bike. The only catch is 3 or 4 months later you may get a letter saying the plate is no longer valid. I have had my plate for about 6 months still riding on street with crf450r.
  16. I have a 05 CRF 450R with a plate in Oregon and the DMV said that was a good VIN for the street no hassles only took about 30 minutes and they didn't even look at the bike. The bike is for sale lots of goodies $5,000 if your interested.

  17. OR and WA are very different places.. they would first have a very hardy laugh at you up here.. then they would dismiss your request and bid you "good day sir."

  18. I just had to get a new plate for my 250sxf ( I lost the old one) so I could ride at Beverly ORV park last weekend.

    It cracks me up that an mx 250 4 stroke with a 14.4k rev limiter (and 950cc of oil) could be plated with 0 street gear (not even a lighting coil).

    Just cause it has a plate, doesn't mean I would ever ride it on the street.
  19. You might be able to do it... but you'd need to go through the custom bike route. Get an "assembled bike" title. I can't remember the rules, but basically you have to show that you built something on it. Or maybe it's you have to show that you MADE the frame...