close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CBR Update: More bike problems...OUCH!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by KCander, Jun 12, 2005.

1. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

So it turns out that not only are my sprockets and chain all shot, but that the reason behind the damage to the chain/sprockets was that the rear wheel bearings were also toast, causing the alignment to be all screwed up. Ugh. So now I'm in well over $500 for repairs, plus over $300 for the tires I had installed...OUCH!!!! I was hoping to spend about $1000 this summer to buy an older CB750 for a cafe project...looks like I'll be using said $1000 just to get the CBR ready for the trip to Seca. Bummer.

2. How did you know your rear wheel bearings were shot?

Now I'm concerned about my 12 having the same problem due to high mileage, but I'm not going through sprockets or chains.

3. KCander

I didn't know; took my bike to the shop, they told me. All I knew was that my chain had shredded rear sprocket, thought it had been somehow knocked out of alignment by a large pothole I'd hit at semi-high speed doing the 3-pass blast last weekend w/ Jezterr and SilverDawg. My bike was going in to get new tires anyways, so I had them replace my chain/sprockets while they were installing my tires...called them yesterday to check the status of the job, they said, "uh, there's a little problem...your rear bearings are shot, too." To which I said, "Super," then proceeded to light a few hundred dollars bills on fire.

4. Dang that's crazy, for all the potholes and worse that I've hit over the last 35k miles, I dont think to my knowledge I've ever messed up my alignment.

I heard to get an alignment truely tested on a motorcycle, you have to send or ride your bike somewhere that has the equipment to test it out and that the only spot on the West Coast to do that is in Cali somewhere.

5. KCander

yeah, i'm guessing now that it probably didn't have anything to do with the pothole, maybe just coincidence...not sure...any way you look at it, i'm out $500!!!!!!!

6. That's a lot of beer money. :|

7. KC.

that SUCKS!! but this is why you have two motorcycles. How long before the CBR is up and running?

8. Supposed to be done Wednesday. Good thing about that bike. Parts are pretty easy to come by.

9. I know what you mean, try finding parts for my 71. it can be a adventure.

10. D'oh! Ah well atleast it'll all be done right now. It's a good thing they spotted that before you headed to Cali on bad rear bearings! That coulda been ugly.

11. We'll pack the tow strap just in case.
    and more tools!

12. cordodor

cordodor Retired

unless you're Beansbaxter

13. You only have two motorcycles? Too bad it cost you so much to fix just that one! Oh well I keep telling my wife that's what money is for - to suppport my motorcycle habit!
    Here's a tip that may save you some dough in the future - and keep you wheels in perfect alignment - which will defineitely save on tires, sprockets, chains and bearings, both rear wheel and countershaft.
    First, put your bike on a stand that keeps the rear tire off the ground. Take a long piece of string or twine, roughly at least twice as long as your wheelbase, and begin by wrapping it once around the front part of the front wheel. Next stretch it back towards the rear tire - one half on each side of the rear tire and secure it to the rear of the rear tire. Make sure the front tire is perfectly straight by guaging the distance of the string to the rear of the front tire. Now adjust your chain so that it has correct tension and the string on the rear tire is equal distance from both sides of the front of the rear tire. Disegard the markings on the swingarm for chain adjusting. If you do this right your wheels will be in perfect alignment all the time, and you'll get maximum mileage from your chain, sprockets, tires and bearings.
    There are several aftermarket devices available that do essentially the same thing, made of aluminum rods etc. but I've always just used the string with great results.
    CB

14. KCander

Well...I could slap some street rubber on the YZ and have a 3rd street bike...just have to convince the cops that it's street legal. Let's see, no lights, deafening pipe, impossible to keep the front wheel on the ground...NO PROBLEM!!!
    thanks for the tip, rotor, have to give that a try next time...although if I get 30,000 miles out of my second set of bearing like I just did out of my first, I think my CBR will be dead before I ever have to worry about it!