close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Changing from a sport bike to an upright triple, What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Friction Addiction, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Friction Addiction

Friction Addiction Power Tripping Moderator Deluxe Staff Member

After committing the Honduh to a full time race/trackbike, I still have that desire to cruise the open roads and back country. I've recently fallen in love with the FZ-09, really looking forward to bringing one home and making some ergo and suspension mods.

I've ridden some upright bikes in the past, but not really at speed or very long distances. So I'm wondering, what can I expect to be different after riding a CBR? How does my body positioning need to change? Will it need to be more pronounced? Will I need more or less input on the grips?

Thanks in advance for any useful information :thumbup:

2. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

You will be much more comfortable with less back and wrist pain, but without at least a small fly screen, you'll be doing pull ups on the freeway.

3. The PoPo will pay less attention to you now that your not all hunched over looking like you are going faster than you really are crackup:

4. +1 i went from a gsxr to my strippler and love it

5. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

Oh yes, easier turn in, change of direction, and wheelies too! :)

You also have excellent taste, as I have been jonesing for one of those too. I can't really justify it, though, as my SV is very similar, just a few lbs and ft/lbs more! :)

6. Definitely faster turn in as mentioned. A little less front end security than a full blown race replica. But unless you're going for gold all the time, you won't miss it too much. Much more comfort and daily usability.

Seriously once you get a fun upright motorcycle, it's hard to go back. I love my Z, in fact it's my second Z because of how much I fell in love with the riding position and usability.

Sure you're getting beaten up on the freeway, but it's not really too bad. It actually almost feels more right sometimes. Even though it's a modern bike, feels like I'm riding something from way back when, wind in my hair and all. Okay, in my helmet, but you get the idea!

And great choice on the FZ they sure are pretty...

7. that fz09, is, well, hard to turn down. just sitting on one, and you realize, it's got the right idea. what i learned, going to the fz1, is that i'm stupid for not getting one sooner

8. Friction Addiction

Friction Addiction Power Tripping Moderator Deluxe Staff Member

I'm certainly looking forward to it...I'm really looking forward to playing with a few extra cc's and the torque. I just kept gravitating to naked bikes over the years and this bike just sold me on the total package. :mfclap:

9. Having an R1 and an FZ1, I much prefer the R1.

10. I've had my FZ1 since '06 and I love it. Mine is highly modified and it will easily power wheelie. On a closed course, of course...

I'd love to try out the new FZ-09 too.

11. DGA

DGA Moderator Staff Member

It'll take some getting used to, but most do. My Speed Triple feels so much more comfortable and commanding on the street than any of the other sport bikes with clip-ons that I've had.

I had a chance to put around on the FZ9 at Laguna and that thing is dangerously under sprung. I'm 6' and about 190-195 lbs. At a stand still, I could clamp down the front brake and pump the bars up and down and get the bike to move/skid forward on clean pavement. If you address the suspension I think you'll like it.

12. ^^+1^^

Additionally, much more airflow and cooler to ride on those Summer Days.
    Just makes way more sence for street riding and thus increases your enjoyment of our sport.

13. Texasl

Texasl Totally Charming Retired Moderator Staff Member

10:4 on that.

Found this after a quick google of FZ-09 windscreen.

[​IMG]

14. FZ-9 speaks to me too. Let us know how you like it.

Bet you won't need any attitude adjustment after the first 5 miles ...

15. I love my naked bike. With a small windscreen and a tankbag to lie on, the freeway isn't too bad. Crosswinds still catch you, but (shrug), it's still worth the trade-off for the comfort in other riding situations. If slabbing was your goal, you'd probably be looking at a different bike. :)

Enjoy it!

16. How true, the LEO's totally ignore my KLR and the GTR looks like a cop bike.

17. Welcome to old age Friction. You have plenty of company. :mrgreen:

18. Yes he does. I went old man triple in September with this:
    [​IMG]
    It looks nicer without the bags of course, but they are easy on/off

I have no doubt the Yamaha is an outstanding bike.

19. TRAIL BOSS

TRAIL BOSS Defiler of Threads

Don't listen to Nancy. Naked bikes do fine on the freeway.

20. NO, Don't do it, you'll know you're getting old then, like ZREX MIKE said :mrgreen:

OK, ok, the FZ 09 is a good looking bike.