close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chuckanut drive

Discussion in 'Bellingham' started by Tuezdaie, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Anyone here taken their bike on that yet? We're planning to real soon, there's three of us, anyone else interested?

2. Been on it. Very nice ride. Quite a trek from the puget sound for such a short ride though. If you give us a decent notice, I am sure you could get a fwe of us to make it up there. Mt Baker is supposed to be another really nice ride up in that area. Hope ride that this summer.

3. Yeah, it's a bit short, but nice. There are some parts that are too residential, and many cars that keep you in check, But a great twisty road nonetheless...

With enough notice, I'd make the trip up. I actually like the roads all over that area... especially up to Mt. Baker, and Highway 20! That is a blast to ride, if you've got all day.

4. on a nice day the road is pretty busy and you can end up stuck behind a line of traffic going 35 the whole length of the road. its fun if you go when the traffic is light

5. I went on that drive with a bunch of evo's and such and we all had a freakin blast, could only imagine it on a bike

6. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Done it many times, it's short but fun if the traffic's light. From Everett, you can get off at Marysville, hang a left, and follow backroads w/ some nice sweepers all the way up to Conway, then hop on the freeway for a couple miles up to the Chuckanut exit. I usually do this a few times a year since it's close and pretty fun, although the traffic can be tough some times.

7. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

i ain't chuckin' no nut.

8. Just went on it last week on my way home from a day at my Bellingham office. It was paved maybe one or two days before. Very nice surface. It was shorter than I remembered though.
    Hope to do Baker on another one of my visits up there.

9. I am interested anytime you are going to go ride it. Just send me a pm when.

10. We'll do. I like to commute on my Katana, so I guess we'll be riding the same.

11. Its startin to look pretty good out there again. Took a few liesurely romps down there a few times in the past few days.

12. The northern portion of Hwy 9 is pretty decent as well. Makes for a nice loop from down south. Cheers!!

13. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

I'll take Hwy 9 over Chuckanut any day! The 'nut is too slow, too crowded, and too unsafe (for any kind of railing). You have to hit it during the week (no weekends, don't even think about it), and even then you will probably have to pass people.

It's better left as a cool-down, sight-seeing ride, or just something to hit on your way to better roads.

14. +1

Did Chuckanut last weekend and I don't understand what all the hub bub is all about. 9 was alright though.

15. richardlpalmer

richardlpalmer Forum Admin Staff Member

Where the heck is this place?

Oh, and Jared, there's a forum for posting up rides (kind of like a mini pashnit.com but in a forum-style). What was that ride (with map please) that we did last Memorial day? I loved that ride (except for the "Fresh Oil" and "Loose Gravel" signs...)

16. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

Let's see.... We did Monroe --> Granite Falls -->Arlington all on backroads. From Arlington, we took Hwy 9 North,. then cut East on the South Skagit Hwy. Followed that until it turned into 530, down into Darrington. Then 530 back through Arlington, back to my place for the BBQ. I think I deleted the map though...

17. richardlpalmer

You know, I have no idea where all that is. I think this Spring we'll need to do it again. You know, just to help orient me to that area again. :)

18. That's a nice route!

19. richardlpalmer

It was arguably one of the funner rides I've been on. :)

20. Yes it is.

You could add a few hwy 9 offshoot roads to that as well and make it even better.