close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Click click click...

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Lucky, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

I have a 2001 Hayabusa, and just got it back from a spring tune-up, including new brakes (front and rear).

The bike runs great, except now I hear this slight clicking noise when in motion. It's quiet enough to where I can't hear it if I have the throttle on...I usually only hear it when I'm decellerating. I'm positive it's not an engine noise, as I've heard it even when the bike is turned off (pushing the bike in neutral while it's off causes the noise as well).

The click-click-click goes faster as my speed is faster, and slows as my speed slows.

When I apply brakes, the noise goes away...

Any suggestions? I'd go back to the shop that worked on it, but it's 140 miles away, and I'm too busy / too poor to go at the moment. I'm wondering if it's something simple that I can get done.

2. Wierd sounds brake related since it was just done and it goes away when on the brakes.
    I would

try and clean the calipers out with soap and water then wipe the rotors down with brake cleaner. Put the cleaner on a rag then wipe down. Don't get any on paint or plastic it will eat it. Dont use spray brake cleaner inside the calipers it will eat the seals

Did you get stock pads or did you upgrade?

Also look around and make sure nothing is loose. maybe it will just go away when the pads bed-in more.

3. Could be a fair # of things. funny little stuff clicks like wheel bearings that have some crud in them and when you apply the brakes it loads them enough to stop the clicking, or things like calipers that arent spot-on aligned/wheel that isnt dead on straight can cause the floating disks to make a little clicking as they move around to meet the caliper. Hard to diagnose over the internet though....

E

4. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

check the chain, make sure it is lubed and correctly adjusted.

5. I dont know how the bike picks up the speed but on mine the front wheel has the speed sensor on it. there might be something inside there making noise as well

6. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

clean your calipers or adjust your chain.

7. Sounds like chain to me too...