close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by tequilab0b, May 26, 2005.

1. Hello

I just purchased an '01 sv650s and a friend rode it home for me. He and I noticed that when releasing the clutch it doesn't catch until you have the clutch released almost completely. He said he had heard that that can be an indication of a clutch about to go out but he wasn't fully sure. Is this true or is it just the way the clutch is.

2. It could be the cable not adjusted correctly. As long as it holds with no slipping I would just adjust it and not worry.

3. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

some people have their clutch lever adjusted so that you pull a minimum amount to shift... i have mine adjusted that way for two finger clutching (shutup, you sick bastards).

4. cordodor

cordodor Retired

it's always nice to take the bike in to have a once over at a shop after purchasing one used. It sounds to me like your lever just needs to be adjusted as well, but it probably couldn't hurt to have it inspected. Congrats on the new bike! I really dig those SV's

5. I have spoken to some people that take the steel and rub it on the garage floor to scuff off all the glaze from the clutch componets to tighten it up.
    I haven't tried it so I couldn't tell you if it's fact or fiction.

6. It could be that you need an adjstment on your clutch or you might need to change you oil....Take it to a wrench and see what they say....

7. Since the 'wrench' didn't know (already posted) and scuffin up the clutch sounds like a myth and the fact that the same thing happened to me, I'd go with the adjustment advice. Just my 2cents. Remember what ya paid for 'em. :)

9. :oops: Oh holey cow! I'm sorry. case of mixing threads here. Thought for sure he said he'd taken it to a mechanic and the mech didn't know what was wrong. agh! My apologies... honestly. :oops: :tard:

10. No big deal, I was thinking I was on crack or something.Its all good in da the hood (hood in spokane yeah right)

11. Thanks for all the advice. I just figured it was prolly just the way it was adjusted. Used to have a KDX the same way LONG ago. I was thinking I should take it in for a once over but must wait till at least the next payday. Everything else rides great though and can't wait to go for a decent ride and possibly open her up a little more.