close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cooler weather, looking for the gear to match

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by AirCooledNut, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Okay, as we can see and feel, the cooler weather is headed our way. I'm looking to ride during the fall and winter so will need appropriate gear. Recommendations for gloves and suits? Gotta stay warm AND dry!

I asked for recommendations for summer gloves and was told to get the Held Airstreams...wow! Great gloves, my hands were never soaked in sweat! But they suck at keeping my hands warm on these < 60-degree mornings and it's only gonna get worse :coffee2: So now I'm looking for the same great NW feedback from you non-solar powered riders!

2. Alpine Stars DryStar:
    Get a heated Vest, with heated arms.
    Chat with Saxon Smith he'd be good to steer you in a good direction.

Be sure that your textiles fit you very well and your armor does not float nor is misplaced on your body when you stand, lay on the ground or when you are in your riding position.

If your armor floats when you go down, your joints: knee, elbow, hip are at risk for abrasion, dislocation, and breakage.

I got bursitis in my knee when my bike and I separated on a low speed turn and it has been a slow healing process, no fun baybee!

Good Luck!

pv2

3. +1 on the heated liner
    I also have heated grips and windguards for my grips. I've worn summer gloves year round past couple winters.

Frogg Togg rain gear has worked really well for me. Packs up really small.

4. heated grips are a great idea, just a note:
    if your core is warm, your body will pump blood to your fingers thereby keeping your hands warm.

If core cold, figure your bod goes into self preservation mode and takes the blood to the core.

fingers get cold fast!

Warning Warning Warning Danger Will Robinson!

5. I rock Icon's PDX gear for wet/cold. When it gets real cold (low 40's and below) I generally have to throw on some long johns and a balaclava for some added warmth. The liner that came with my jacket does a good job of keeping me warm in most situations. I use Snowmobile Gloves as well. Not the best as far as crash protection goes, and they tend to stop working when the wind chill drops below 30, but they work. I should really invest in some heated grips. My dad has some on his bike and they make a huge difference.

6. Big thing i learned from living/riding up here is to get gear w/ a waterproof SHELL. The waterproof liners work alright (imho) but the gear gets waterlogged. I have some Scorpion textile jacket/pant combo and it just plain sucks. W/ the gauntleted gloves on the outside of the jacket, the water goes through the outside, hits the liner, and rolls down into the gloves.... no fun.

7. Yeah, I've ridden in the snow and rain (I wanted the practice) so I know a little about what to look for in gear (waterproof shell, YES! Gloves w/crash protection, YES!). I'm looking for testimonials, gear people have used that works for them given our weather.

Thanks for the heated grip reminder, I think I'll get some for my Goldwing. 8)

8. I picked up a couple used Carazzo jackets off of Craigslist last year for cheap.

Yes it's scooter gear but the 5.0 jacket is very heavy duty and keeps me warm and dry in the winter. The only thing about the Carazzo stuff is that you need to replace the wimpy armor that comes with it for some good stuff. At least I would.

Mine is red with a silver retro-reflective stripe which is really good for visibility during our nasty grey winters.

Get some good over-pants as well. Wet legs are miserable. I also have a "turtle fur" neck thing. It's basically a tube made of fleece that goes around your neck. It really helps keep you warm. You loose a ton of heat via your exposed neck.

9. Give yourself a little foot lovin'. Buy some good waterproof boots. I use Alpinestar Web Gortex.

10. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Gerbing's heated jacket liner with heated gloves.
    Hand guards on the bike help a TON too.