close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cross-border (Canadian) towing experiences?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by metricHalfPint, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Has anyone been riding in Canada and needed to get a tow back to the States? I'm wondering what pluses/minus' there'd be to hiring a Canadian vs. U.S. service, and if there are any unusual hassles I should expect at the border if I'm towing my bike out instead of riding it. If anyone has recommendations as to particular companies, that would be helpful, too. Thanks!

2. I can not answer your question but we live close to border(I-5) and could possibly help transport if needed.

3. No emergency at the moment. Just trying to start collecting info to plan ahead. Thanks for the offer though.

4. Get AAA. Use Canadian company to tow to the border, eh? Push bike across. Have AAA tow the rest. Pay for 100 "plus" membership. Much cheaper in the long run.

5. Yes, plus the cheaper AAA plans no longer cover motorcycles.

6. the Premier RV package, step up from the "plus" package, and really a better package for anyone who goes for long rides around the state, as it would pay for all or majority of a tow if needed:
    From AAA's Website:
    the same coverage of Plus RV, combined with the best in benefits and services of Premier. Get the peace of mind and protection of 200 miles of towing for RV's, motor homes, motorcycles, pickups with campers and eligible vehicles towing the following eligible trailers: boat, travel, horse, motorcycle, snowmobile, personal watercraft, golf, car or utility.

Depending on where you want to go, just from the Peace Arch to about Lynnwood is approximately 100 miles.

I've used it before on one of our four wheeled vehicles. It's nice, as long as you call them first, they will take care of dispatching a truck out. If you're riding with them, all you do is get in and try to enjoy the ride. You don't have to sign anything, you don't pay a dime, as long as you are within your mileage requirements. It's only about 30 something more than the "plus", but regardless, even a short tow will pay back your yearly premium in one shot.

7. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I already get free motorcycle specific towing with my AMA membership, but I'm fairly certain it's only covered in the States. It's not the cost of a one-time tow I'm concerned about, but avoiding the hassle of trying to find a reputable motorcycle-specific towing company while in Canada at the last minute if it should become necessary. I guess it's back to the Interwebs for some searching.