close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you listen to music while you ride?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beansbaxter, Jun 3, 2005.

1. I know some of you listen to music and some of you just wear earplugs. What is everyone's opinion on listening to music while you ride?

When I go on long trips, I sometimes listen to music. Kinda hard though with all the wind noise going on and after super long hours, my ears seem to hurt from the earphones in.

And if you do listen to music, what kind of music do you listen to while you ride?

I found that bands such as Disturbed always seemed to motivate me to speed, while classical music calmed me and I just chill the entire ride.

But what do I know, I ride a Twelve. Experience it! Get some! dontfeedt:

2. I listen to the music with a good beat, since at higher speeds I can't make out the words. I have a mp3 player with little ear buds it is pretty comfy. There is a place in town (I will find out who) that can do costum ear plugs for a radio that you won't even know are there. But they will still alow sound in from the world out side your helmet. I have a costum ear piece from that company (for my job) they are a little exspensive about 65 a piece. You can get group discounts I will look into that as well if there are enough that would like to go in on it. Let me know.

3. I normally wear earplugs when I ride, just to help keep down the wind noise. On longer rides I will use my MP3 player, I try and keep a variety of music so it doesn't gte repetative over the ride. I found a pair of Koss earbuds that go in like earplugs and do a good job of reducing but not blocking out the outside noise, they were only around $20

4. With the Supertrapps on my 'Max, I need earplugs for long freeway rides.. besides, music distracts just enough to take my edge off, something you can't afford on a bike.

I do have a 600 watt stereo in my Cobra, but it's a far more visible vehicle and therefore I don't have to pay quite as much attention

5. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

No earplugs, no music. All I need is the sweet sound of the ol' Yoshimura.

I am getting a chatterbox this month, though, for the trip to Seca. Might be tempted to try hooking some tunes in through that, but not sure. I kinda like being able to hear the engine/exhaust and the stuff going on around me.

6. KC. try earplugs, you will be amazed at how much you can actually hear. They mostly cut down on wind noise.

7. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Tried 'em once, they bothered me. I might give them another try for the big ride tough, especially since we'll be taking I-5 all the way home. As long as I'm out hitting the twisties or making short commutes, I don't want/need plugs.

8. I love to rock the iPod on long rides.

9. I talk to myself does that count????????? :twisted: as soon as i get my mp3 going i will rock out

10. No mp3 player yet. It sure would be nice for my very long commute.

11. Long trips for sure and many short rides as well. I agree with your observations with the exception of the earphones. My Sony earplugs are great inside my Shoei, no problems.

I listen to an eclectic range of music, depending on my mood. Some music pushes me to accelerate, others slow me down. Also depends on the bike at hand, the 10 isn't for relaxing too much, but some times. The Wing is good for both, especially with the six-disc changer at hand to change selections on a whim.

My opinion, if you're comfortable with it, listen to what you will when riding, but keep the brain on alert for whatever. To date, I haven't had any problems due to listening to music while riding. Hope it stays that way. :)

12. I listen to music while I do everything :twisted: Especially riding. I find it calming and allows me to concentrate better. I have found earplugs have the same effect. Cancels out all the other sounds except the sounds of my bike, which I consider music in it'self. There are allot of spendy custom earphones out there that you can purchase. However, being one who always tries to find a homemade way to do things, I actually stumbled upon a pretty sweet little set-up that can be accomplished for about twenty bucks and a little time. They put out amazing sound, way better than just the earphopnes themselves plus isolates out wind with music on or off. The picture is small, but essentially it is a Koss earbud with a section of surgical tubing attached to the port with a soft moldable earplug attached to the other end. As I said they work awesome for the price and are as comfortable as wearing earplugs. I would be happy to explain in detail how to build them if anyone is interested....

[​IMG]

Curt

13. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Hey Curt I am interested. That would be cool if you could explain it.

14. Same basic thing I use, except I didn't use surgical tubing. I just use foam earplugs in place of the rubber peices Koss supplies.

15. I tried that as well. But the pressure from the speaker started to hurt me ears after a while. The tubing allowed me to tuck the speaker up inside the foam behind my ear where I couldn't feel it.

I gotta get get running Jabstar but I'll post the instruction how to on the site later tonight. I wrote it up for someone else a while back and have it at home....

Curt

16. It does sound interesting though, when you post it I may give it shot. is the sound still as good with the tubing?

17. Shwaa

Shwaa Retired

I wear plugs if the wind noise gets to bad. I've heard that the Whisper II ( a scarf thingy that raps around the bottom of your helmet) works well...

18. Materials:

1. Koss earplugs available at K-mart, Wallmart, Target, Aerostich.
    2. Small rubber (surgical) tubing. Small enough to squeeze over the nipple of the earbud outlet (see pic) Should be able to pick it up at most hobby shops. Used for RC fuel lines.
    3. Moldable soft earplugs. Any kind will work so preference is key.
    4. Superglue

Procedure:

1. Pull the supplied foam earplugs off the Koss earbuds that came with them. They can be used as the permanent earplugs but I have found the moldable soft earplugs work better at blocking out more sound. You can experiment with different types...

2. Cut two lengths of tubing. The key here is you want the tubing to be long enough so the earbud will hang just below the bottom of the helmet when the earplugs are in the ear with the helmet on. Squeeze one of each of the tubes onto the end of the earbud nipple. (see pic) If the tubing is very tight a lighter or heat gun can be used to warm the tubing enough to soften it. Should be tight enough that no glue is required on this end. Mine have never fallen off, but can be pulled off with some force for replacing.

3. Smash the earplug flat from top to bottom. Using a drill bit the same size as the tubing drill a hole through the earplug. Let the earplug expand back out full. Use the drill bit to core the hole out making sure to clear the hole of any loose debris. With the earplug fully expanded, place a small drop of superglue on the end of the plastic tubing and slip the tubing into the back of the earplug stopping just a little bit from the top of the hole. You don't want the tubing to extend all the way through the hole. Hold it until the glue dries. Important to only use a small amount of glue, as the earplugs will get dirty and you will want to replace them from time to time. The other option is to make spares with extra tubing. Repeat for the other earbud.

4. Roll the earplug up between index and thumb, insert into ear canal, let it fully expand, plug into your MP-3 player and test them out. You should get good deep base sound when both are in. If you have no sound from one check the tubing for debris or a kink in the tubing.

Ok, here's the key. when riding, you want the earbud (part containing the actual speaker) to be as insolated as possible from the wind. If not the speaker will pick up the wind blowing through it's vents and that is all you will hear. With the earplugs in your ear and your helmet on, the speakers should be hanging just below the bottom rim of your helmet. Tuck the speaker up under the helmet foam behind your ear towards the back of the neck. This provides a very nice insolated environment for the speaker and helps create deeper base sound. Plus you won't feel it back there. The tubes themselves can from time to time put pressure on your ear if you have a very tight fitting helmet. Tucking the tubing back a little with the helmet on and the speaker in place will relieve this pressure. Experimenting at what works best for you is again the key here. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions...

[​IMG]

19. i often listen to the radio...there are several jocks in town that i like as well as getting traffic updates to figure out if i need to get the hell off I-5 before it becomes a parking lot....

20. I kick the MP3 player a lot. I leave the volume down so I can hear other things. Some of the songs have sirens in them and freaks the shit out of me but other than that no problems. The harder the rock, the better the roll. :rr: