close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you take offense that you're called a "Cager"

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Vegasrider, Nov 7, 2014.

1. For those who find themselves behind the wheel, but also ride. After all, you are now viewed and fall into that "Cager" category that every rider has referred to as a result of their idiotic actions at one time or another.

You can't call me a cager, I don't drive. But I like to think that some of those cagers around me are riders and do their best to acknowledge me but I have no way of knowing. Sometimes a sticker helps on a vehicle, or other telling signs that they are riders too, but it's certainly no guarantee so you can't be trusted. Sorry.

2. I have a DesmoNorthwest sticker on my car. That and I'm always looking out for riders, I give them room and a nod.

And I like to think I can spot them, they normally give me room and often a nod when I'm on my bike. :)

3. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

No. Why? It's just a word.

I don't trust anyone else on the road no matter what they drive or no matter what I'm driving. It's safer that way.

If a motorcyclist comes up behind me and obviously wants to move, I'll slow down and wave them around. Just don't tailgate me when there's no room for me to go. All the rules apply to all vehicles, if you really stop and think about it.

4. Dr. E

Dr. E Theoretical Propagandist

Being called a cager and taking offense is a first world problem for those with no lives.

silviefox likes this.
  5. When I drive a car I'm in a cage, the shoe fits so I'm gonna wear it. That said, I try not to be an inconsiderate cager, be it interacting with motorcyclists, bicyclists or any other vehicle, including the other cagers. In fact, I think that's the most important thing about driving is remembering that your dealing with people operating machines, not the machines themselves, and every operator is equally likely to be a dangerous bastard with a hard on to cause an accident. Watch out for everybody is what I'm sayin' and don't stress about how some other operator is labeling you.

6. The word Cager instills the "them and us" mindset that is so much bullshit because the bulk of us here own both, this time of the year you can find me in my Honda.

7. no one has had the nerve to call me that to my face..:thefinge:

idiot..dumb censored:..stupid mothercensored:..sure but never cager:mfclap:

8. Hell i call myself cager when I'm in a car. No offense taken one bit. Anyone who gets bent outta shape by being called something like that needs to chill out a bit.

9. Your momma wears army boots.

10. This.

"Trusting" someone because they put a sticker on their car is a dumb idea. I've known a lot of morons that ride bikes... And whether or not someone is a rider has no bearing on excluding them from normal threat/error management. Excluding or disregarding any potential threat is a bad, bad idea.

11. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

Like the kid tonight on an old white ZX6 that passed me on a double yellow on a blind hill in the dark and then slammed on his brakes for the corner. Yep, brilliant dood.

12. +1
    +1
    xD
    +1
    :shock:some peoples kids

13. It seems as tho the OP does in fact take offense to the moniker of cager. Sorry boss but you're one. I base this off of 2 things:

1: you have a state issued driver's license to operate a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels and unless NV or ID do something different, said license carries a motorcycle endorsement which you can't otherwise have. You had to drive a "cage" at some point to get that license. Unless you're riding illegally, which I don't find likely.

2: I find it impossible to believe that you NEVER get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle having 4 or more wheels and operate it on public roadways EVER.

At any rate, everyone has got to drive every once in a while for whatever reason making everyone a "cager". I don't take offense. Its part of life and when you get down to brass tacks, who cares.

The reality is everyone needs to take a turn at attentiveness, alertness, courtesy and manners no matter what they are operating on public roads.

Riding CAN make a person a bit more of all of the above but doesn't mean it DOES.

14. I agree, not only would I not trust a driver, I won't even trust another rider unless I have seen and ridden with you. It amazes me the lack of basic skills and common sense a lot of riders have which I witness everyday. Even when they come to a stop at an intersection, over half make the mistake of stopping too close to the vehicle in front of them. Leaving zero outs. If they make such simple mistakes when they are stopped, wonder what kind of errors they will make when they actually get rolling.

Strictly riding a motorcycle and not driving at all has integrated into my everyday life style. For example, whenever I go eat, I will always prefer a table versus a booth. I have more outs and feel too confined in a booth. I also like to be facing towards a direction that I have an overall view of the place, versus looking at a wall. When I fly, it's always an aisle seat, not a window. I admit, kind of weird huh? I got to have outs.

15. I drive a convertible, so it's not a cage - if I flip, I die. It's... I dunno... a half-cage? a tub? a bucket?

16. You're correct, I can legally drive a car. But haven't owned one in almost a decade. I do drive once or twice a year but it's a rental car only because they don't have motorcycle rentals at the airport. I have suggested to the rental car agencies to offer them, some are open to the idea. If they rent high end luxury cars, why not motorcycles? I do have the option of forfeiting my driver's license for a motorcycle only license here in Idaho, just like they do in Nevada, but doesn't make sense I already have it, then I would never be able to rent a car.

Just kind of ironic that you always read or hear all these car versus bike stories, and that rider can be viewed the exact same way whenever they find themselves behind the wheel.

One funny story about the rental car, I rented a car from Hertz this summer, and after 10 minutes, I gave in and had to ask an attendant how to start the car. It had one of those start buttons but I couldn't figure out how to start it. Turns out you had to apply the brake then push the button. Then I couldn't figure how to turn off the damn car when I needed to. I couldn't find the off button.

17. I drive my car to work 95% of the time cuz of the weather and the crap I need to take back and forth with me. Occasionally in life I have been forced to not have a motorcycle, sad but how it had to be for a while. I CANNOT be without a car.

18. I pay additional attention to M/C riders when in car, since I know their issues so well.
    And I don't hear the term "cager" until I'm on the internet.

So the thread contrast, driving vs. internet, doesn't compute.

19. i like tub :)