close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you wheelie?

Discussion in 'Kitsap' started by zx6r-ripping, Sep 20, 2007.

Do you wheelie

1. Yes, any chance I get

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Yes, on back roads

14 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Yes, every once in a while

59 vote(s)
    36.2%
  4. No, Do not know how to wheelie

52 vote(s)
    31.9%
  5. No, too risky

17 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. I'm going to do one out of the buss stop on the 24th. Someone bring a camera :mrgreen:

And yes it is going to be better then yard sales :thefinge:

2. ninjaofdoom

ninjaofdoom <a href="https://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk/8554

3. GixxerPete

GixxerPete Forum Synopsizer

Nope not me, never. :evil4:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. :secret:You know, if you had just a little bit better throttle and clutch control you could probably keep the front ends of those bikes from coming up off the road like that. :mrgreen:

5. You'd be wise to remain in first gear until you have mastered the balance point. Once you can ride as long as you want in 1st gear, only then move to higher gears. Big reason, if you crash learning to balance the bike you'll be going slower. Both you and your bike will be happy you were in 1st.

Contrary to what many will tell you, second gear will loop your arse much quicker than first. Another old wives tale that so many guys preach is "Be sure to cover the rear brake"! This you can count on, if you loop your bike, your rear brake WILL NOT save you. As a matter of fact it is much more likely to cause you to crash than to save your arse cheeks from the pavement when you tip over backwards. If you loop your bike from too much throttle on the lift, it will happen so quickly you won't have time to think about the brake, much less use it.

Remain in 1st gear if you are wise until you are a confident wheelie guy. 1st gear has lots of engine brake so all you have to do to save it if it gets up to high is simple close the throttle. As you go to higher gears the brake becomes mandatory if it tips backwards.

If you have doubts, sign up for a wheelie school. No one will suggest to play with wheelies in anything other than 1st gear during your learning curve.

Just my Opinion so any flaming is only taken as seriously as the amount of money you paid for this information :shock:

One other thing. I'd suggest you learn to shift from 1st to 2nd before lifting the wheel in 2nd. Nothing cooler than lifting the wheel in 1st gear and shifting up to 4th in about two city blocks in front of your buddies.

Here is a little wheelie fun you can enjoy while you are learning.

Linky

6. too much,1st and second gear roll on stand ups all day long,sometimes in traffic,1st gear roll on sit downs until i hit tha rev limiter,workin on 3rd gear stand ups

7. GixxerPete

While the speeds are lower in 1st, riding a balanced wheelie in 1st is harder than 2nd. The balance point is lower in 2nd, and you don't have to worry about side to side balance nearly as much cuz your momentum keeps you going straight. And if it's a liter bike, you have to have very good throttle control as it's a only a few millimeters of throttle between looping and smashing back down.

More hogwash. The rear brake will absolutely save you, IF you know how to use it. If you're one of Ron's "disconnect your rear brake" disciples that never ever uses the rear brake, then yeah covering it is probably not going to help you as you'll either forget until it's too late, or smash it so hard slam back down and crash from that. But any serious wheeliemeister that can hit and hold the BP and slow wheelies down definitely uses the rear brake.

If you really want to learn how to use the rear brake, wheelie a fiddy... it has a teeny balance point and virtually zero engine braking, you HAVE to use the rear brake or you will loop it over and over again.

I agree that you should stay in 1st until you have some confidence & consistency in your wheelies. But any sport bike has plenty of engine braking in 2nd gear to bring you back from all but the most abrupt and hamfisted over-throttles.

Meh... I could go either way on that one. Shifting is fun, but even 600s nowadays can clutch up easily in 2nd, and throttle up with some good technique. Shifting has it's risks too. You have to blip the throttle to shift, and if you blip too much can you go too far back and since you just dropped RPM by shifting, you have less engine braking to save it, so you better have that rear brake down.

8. You can also power wheelie in third give it a little tug on that nice handlebar just be prepared for it when it comes up. I used you to do it in my Busa' thats way heavier than your gsxr1k should come up with ease.8)

9. Oly ZX

Oly ZX Daytime Adventure Seeker

I goof around in appropriate areas (disclaimer) but I don;t think anyone would consider what I do wheelies.
    I can hold the front off the ground for longer stretches but they aren't near the balance point.
    I need to practice, practice,practice.

10. What!? I've never seen you wheelie. You need to teach me now.

11. First you must fill up your application and ask Yoda nicely and then he can show you.

12. Haha okay okay Will you take a steak dinner and beer as payment for a lesson?

13. Remember the "RAM restaurant" get that credit card ready?8)

14. haha The Ram? Never again; the service is lousy ... did get free dessert though.

But seriously i gotta learn this... my life is incomplete hehe I think i'm too heavy to do it though (225 lbs).

15. Oh Pete, my HERO, the Genuine EXPERT Wheelie Guru, where were you when I needed you? When these self proclaimed wheelie experts who make their living teaching us novice guys the basics at their wheelie school, where were you? You could have saved us all from those theives who's only interest was money and told me all those lies, nothing but lies! I could have been mamed or killed from listening to those evil demons! :scared

But now I see the light and I promise, I will follow your direction from this point on oh master wheelie guru. I will never make another wheelie post without your signature of approval! I am so sorry for speaking such unworthy words Master :tard:

16. ninjaofdoom

ninjaofdoom <a href="https://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk/8554

Im a fatass 275 and i can wheelie :shock:

Just dont lean forward :ninja:

17. GixxerPete

I can't help it if I'm smarter than you and know more about riding and especially doing wheelies. :thefinge:

I see misinformation and I correct it. For example, 1st gear balance point wheelies are harder to master than in 2nd gear, especially on a liter bike. And that's not my opinion, it's a simple matter of physics. The balance point is a lot higher, you have to worry about side to side balance as well as balancing the wheelie, and your throttle control has to be much more precise. Besides, the top of first gear is approaching or over 100 mph on most liter bikes. Why not be in 2nd and have a lot more throttle to work with? You don't want to be at or near redline in a wheelie as high RPM can cause wobbles.

Why do you think stunters put huge sprockets on? Do you think they're doing wheelies in 1st gear? Nope, they're doing em in 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gear, even at parking lot speeds cuz being in a higher gear gives them more throttle to work with.

Basing your gear selection on how much it's gonna hurt if you loop it is the wrong way to look at things. If you're learning by looping you're not doing it right. Besides, it's not how fast you're going, it's how hard you hit. I watched a buddy loop his 750 in a parking lot at about 5-10 mph... the bike 12'ed and ejected the rider, then cartwheeled forwards and was totalled: bent forks, bent rim & rotor, dented tank, shattered plastics etc. You're not doing anyone any favors giving them some false sense of security that their bikes won't get damaged that bad if they loop it a slower speed. Loop a bike at any speed, and it's more than likely going to get badly damaged if not totalled.

1st gear wheelies are definitely the place to start and build skill and confidence. But once someone learns how to do smooth, controlled 1st gear power wheelies that are still a little shy of the balance point, they would be better off progressing to 2nd gear.

Show me where any wheelie school teaches anything different than what I've said.

18. i love to watch, but its too scary to try:shock:

19. :shock:

20. JW

JW jasons_r1

I dont see how you guys can cover your rear brake ? my feet are no were near the brake lever. i just roll off the throttle if my trusty gut starts getting upset i know then I'm to far back and need to roll off just abit . [​IMG]