close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Don't be a DY DB!

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by 1badhusky, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Texasl

Texasl Totally Charming Retired Moderator

Terribly sorry if you're unable to "close and go" in order to maximize your passing opportunities, i.e. closing on the rider ahead of you who is allegedly holding you back in the corner, picking a slightly different line than him through the corner, and getting on the gas as soon as you both clear the corner and enter the passing zone. You already know that he is going to accelerate, so be ready for it. If you cannot do that, due to a lack of motorcycle (acceleration) or ability then just roll off or pull over and let him go. If you give him 10 minutes he will be far enough ahead to not be a nuisance.

As for the theory that someone is not demonstrating "brotherhood" because they are not pandering to your wishes, well, get over it. You're not demonstrating much brotherhood by complaining or calling them derogatory names.

There is absolutely no legitimate reason for someone to expect another rider to cede any of his lane or endanger himself just for the convenience of a more aggressive rider. If you note in 1badhusky's post, appended above, it seems his hard spot is that he is not being waved by in a no passing zone. By his own admission he is being left, or at least evenly matched, in the straight line acceleration department. Where he gets close enough to want the wave by is in the double yellow zone. That is always an unacceptable expectation.

I can only speak for myself, but my ego is not in play here. Neither do I feel threatened by someone who wishes to pass me. I have passed people, I've been passed by people, and I have literally checked up to allow someone past me. What I will not do is endanger myself to accommodate arrogantly childish behavior.

2. ok..

3. This is taken from the Oregon Driver's Manual:

When you drive slower than the normal speed of traffic, you must use the right lane or drive as closely as possible to the right curb or edge of the road, unless you are getting ready to make a left turn.
    Watch for congestion behind you if you drive slower than the designated speed. Pull off the road at the first area where it is safe to turn out and let the traffic behind you pass. The overtaking driver must obey the speed law.

People out here just don't care. Not motorcyclists in particular just seems to be the mindset of most drivers. 6 is a great example to see this. I constantly encounter folks cruising 15-20 under, and despite a pack of cars 20 deep behind them and numerous cut outs provided, they won't move over. I feel safer passing.

Maybe it's an enforcement issue. I've traveled in a few states where drivers are religious at moving over. Pennsylvania for example actually states that you may not travel for more than a mile in the left lane unless passing. A few years ago I was pulled over and given a warning in PA for this. I wasn't even holding up traffic and no one was behind.

Gotama likes this.
  4. Texasl

Interesting technicality, but I'm not too sure that this applies to the OP's situation. OP is asking for a double yellow zone wave by.

5. Well, the manual doesn't specify what type of road. Be it double yellow, or residential with no markings. Just simply states that if you're going slow, stay as far right as possible. Somewhat of an extreme example, but around here a lot of farmers take equipment out on the roads between pastures. They'll hang to the far right allowing some room to pass, even if it means going over the double yellow a bit.

6. Lane sharing is legal for 2 motorcycles, so a wave by on a double yellow is legal if the slower vehicle only has 2 wheels.

Gotama likes this.
  7. I tend to not speed this year due to all the illegal gravel.

spolic likes this.
  8. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Someone pulls up behind me, I'll move over when it is safe for me to move over.
    If it's 4 lanes and, I'm in the slow lane. They can ride right on by.
    Just don't try show'in me 'how fast' you think you are with a close pass. That will cost ya. LOL!

Gotama likes this.
  9. I always let someone behind me pass if they are riding faster than me or my group. I personally think that it is a nice thing to do. If I don't feel safe then I wait until I do. I agree the rider does not have to do this and shouldn't put them self into a dangerous position, but often on a straight lane I don't see pulling over slightly as dangerous. I do find it distracting and more dangerous to have someone behind me riding aggressively. another good reason to pull over and let them pass. But I also always appreciate it when others do that for me, so I try to return the favor. I will wave in appreciation as I pass. If they don't allow space, well then I just wait for the proper moment to make my pass.
    I don't see how allowing space or allowing someone to pass really affects ones ride if they are just cruising and chilling while riding. It is not something they have to do, but I think it is the nice thing to do.
    As far as the speed goes. No one ever died from going too fast. It's the sudden stopping that gets you. So perhaps being stationary is the more dangerous. So I try not to stop.

Gotama likes this.
  10. galenernest

galenernest I bathe with candles, flowers, jazz music, and rub

Most riders don't give a wave-by. I don't expect it, but I do think it should be common courtesy. I pass as soon as I get the chance... double yellow or not.

11. It seems perfectly normal to wave someone past if they are moving fast. In fact, it seems perfectly normal to include mirrors into my normal scan to maintain awareness of what is happening around me. And it seems very impolite to not wave someone past if they are moving faster than me, and I can obviously see it would be safe for them to do so.

12. All riders have a responsibility as (repeatedly) stated above. If you are the rider that feels you are being held back by someone's pace, pick your spot to pass safely. I ride a standard and I don't mind if you pass me but do so with courtesy. C'mon guys, a little common sense by everyone goes a long way. :scratchea

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  13. From the O.P. they are not riding slowly or causing congestion, just riding slower than him (who is speeding). If I'm going over the speed limit and someone comes up behind me, I'll get out the way when I CAN, until then, getting around me is THEIR problem, not mine.

14. Not riding slowly is subjective. Slower traffic move right doesn't mean "well I'm going five over already, so I have no obligation to move"

For example, if you're sitting in the left lane on an interstate doing 70 in a 65 and the people behind want to go 80, you have an obligation to move over.

It is not your job to regulate the speed limit, that's what cops are for.

15. Texas, thanks for your condescending and totally misguided post. Because you've totally missed my point, I'll try to simplify for you: I'm not lamenting having difficulty passing. I'm lamenting that other bikers are making me do it instead of being cool and waving me on. In the past, I've held back on passing bikes because I felt it was poor riding etiquette and potentially scary for a motorcycle to be passed like this. This summer, because I've run into so many bikers not being cool about this, I've decided to start passing them. And based on some of the responses here, I see that I'm spot on to just pass you whenever the hell I feel like it because clearly many of you could care less about being cool to your fellow riders.

Also, it's not like I expect someone to just instantly see me and wave me by, and I'm not asking for someone to put themselves in a dangerous situation. I ride behind at a safe distance and give bikers a chance to wave me by on a straight and when they don't, they are now getting passed whenever I feel it is safe.

The fact is, if you've got a bike behind you for 3-5 miles, you've had many chances to be cool and you've decided you'd prefer to hamper someone else's ride because you can't be cool for 5 seconds. That's douchy.

BTW, one mile on just about any road we have here will provide many safe opportunities to wave someone by. 3-5 miles is being very generous.

I am glad I brought this up though. Some of the responses here have erased every bit of guilt I'd ever feel for doing this. My assumption that these guys were intentionally being douchy has been verified, as I can see there are people on here who feel just as they do.

16. Texasl

In Oregon, as well as Washington, two motorcycles are allowed to operate side by side in the same lane. Overtaking in the same lane is precluded in both states.

This is copied directly from the Oregon Motorcycle and Moped Manual.

"Oregon law allows motorcycles to ride two abreast in a single lane, but this is not a recommended safety practice. Sharing a lane with a car while passing them is commonly known as “lane splitting” and is not legal in Oregon."

17. Not regulating speed, I'm just not going out of my way to accommodate someone else who is breaking the law more than me, that's why I said "I'll get out the way when I CAN". If on the other hand, I have a loaded pick-up bed or a nagging wife on board and I'm going slower than the speed limit or slower than other traffic, THEN I will make allowances to accommodate others. I think it's pretty funny when I'm passing a couple semi's on the freeway at 75 MPH and some yoyo comes up and rides my ass, like I'm supposed to speed up, or pull over (between the semi's) to suit them.

18. 3-5 miles or 1 mile, anywhere around here is just about enough time for anyone to pass any rider, regardless of being waved by or not. Sure there are the occasional roads that have double yellows for miles and miles. Guess what, it isn't legal to pass there for a reason and I'm not waving you by because I don't give a flying fuck how fast you want to go. I don't want you buzzing by me in my lane because I don't fucking know you, I don't know how you ride, I don't know how you care for your machine, and I simply don't give a fuck what you want. I'm also not going to wave you by and have you go into the other lane on a double yellow on account of a miscommunication between us, and then get human spaghetti all over the front of my bike.

You want to speed, go for it, you want to pass me on a double yellow, go for it. Just don't expect anyone to move over and bend to your will because you think they owe you some kind of common courtesy because you are both on two wheels. Expecting anything from complete strangers because of some imaginary bond you think you share, then getting so riled up about it that you post a thread on the internet and whine when people don't agree with you, that is being douchey.

Another reference to the track: When you find yourself in traffic and getting frustrated, pull off and let the traffic get way ahead of you. You even get to wait and see what will go by so you don't get stuck right behind it again.

19. Texasl

Do not take my disgust at your self centered arrogance as condescension. When a linguist distills out all of the fluff terms you have utilized to justify your impatience with other riders not bowing to your preferences what shines through is the petulant whines of a child.

If you are surprised by the responses from some of the more mature riders on this forum then you are not only petulant and immature, you are also not very observant of the societal norms here, in spite of your three year tenure.

Locutus likes this.
  20. Also lane sharing is "allowed" not mandated. I'm not really sure what I would expect if I pulled up beside some stranger on a bike in his lane. The same goes if he pulls up beside me in my lane. Mostly I would expect the guy IN the lane (me or him) would slow down to avoid riding side-by-side, constituting the other as "overtaking".