close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ducati APTC clutch sucks, does your's?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by versysrider, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Just bought a 2013 Hypermotard 821, love almost everything about it, aside from the clutch. Love the slipper action, but I'm so used to rev matching down shifts, that it's automatic at this point. The real problem is starting out from a dead stop, starting quickly, like getting the jump on traffic, which is how I start out a lot. When I do that here's what happens... slip, lurch, almost wheelie, pull in a little, slip, lurch, go. I look, and feel like a freakin' moron.

I'm over 50, been riding since I was 11, have owned and ridden tons of bikes, never had this problem before. Currently have 2 dirtbikes, 2 quads, the Hyper, a 2014 Yamaha FZ-09, and a Yamaha TMAX. Never owned or rode a Ducati before, but really wanted a Hyper with the new 18,000 mile service intervals.

The Duc had only 4,000 miles on it when purchased, and judging by the chicken strips it had, was a poser bike (so sad). The clutch free play and chain were checked (by myself), and adjusted to factory specs before I even rode it.

I don't know if this is normal for the hyper with the APTC clutch or not, since there are few reviews, and none mention this problem, and I don't know anyone else that owns one. Is this a byproduct of the "slipper function"? I also don't know what oil is in the crankcase, but would assume if it's synthetic that it's "jaso ma" rated for wet clutches. Although if it weren't the clutch would also probably slip under load (no evidence of that), and it would already be too late for an oil change to help the clutch.

I believe the Duc is still under warranty, but not sure. So I need some help here. Is what I'm describing normal? All you 821 owners out there, let me know if you experience anything similar, or what you think the cause may be. I'm sure it's not just operator error, or an incorrect adjustment.

Thanks, Dave

2. My B-King has a back torque limiting clutch in it, which is what I think you are describing.
    If I take of aggressively with it, it locks REALLY quickly, and doesn't want to slip. The guys that drag The Kings re-affirm that , which is why they change the clutch basket to get rid of the 'feature'. I'm not sure if I provided much help.

3. MC News mentions the problem in this 821 Hyperstrada review (someone wrecked the 821 HM they wanted to review...same clutch though):

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/DucatiVYam_1213.pdf

I've put 1k on mine since I picked it up last month and I find myself having the same issue. I'm starting to get used to playing with the clutch/gas/rear brake to get an optimal launch from a stop but it definitely lacks some feedback.

4. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Dave, that is pretty weird sounding, but it kind of makes sense with a centrifugal slipper? I doubt it is the oil, as I run plain Mobil 1 synthetic auto oil in all my bikes and never have had slippage. I also assume the original air cooled HM 1100 didn't have this clutch, as I did a little demo stunt show for Seattle Duc on one and it's clutch felt quite normal?

5. Yes the 1st gen HYM1100 had the same non slipper dry clutch that had been on practically every Ducati since the 916 up to the 1098. Monsters, Multis, certain Sport Classics, etc.

Ducati!!! If it ain't broke...

But yah, to speak to the op's post, I also find the APTC gizmo to be annoying around town in stop/go conditions. It isn't just your bike if that was your question. Almost a perfect machine otherwise.

6. Thanks for your posts, that explains it. I especially liked the diagrams showing the difference between the '13 and '15 clutches.

7. Howdy Pete, "paradox206's" posts told the whole story, his last post shows a diagram of the clutch, and what was changed. I also posted on a Ducati forum and found that this is normal behavior. I've only got a couple hundred miles on it so far, in 3 rides, getting more used to it every ride.

On a side note: I was bummed Yamaha didn't announce an XTZ-700 or something like that yet at any of the big motorcycle shows that just wrapped up. Hopefully they will soon, I still really want something with that awesome parallel twin in it. Did you ever ride one, the FZ-07 that is?

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses.

8. PeteN95

Hi Dave, Never rode the FZ-07, but sat on it and fit pretty well. I'm really hoping for a Tenere 07 too!

9. I'd really like an XTZ-700 with cast 17's (think big 'Tard), although many would prefer spoked wheels for off-road use, I hope they will offer both.

10. PeteN95

My thoughts exactly! I have no problem with 17s in the dirt, could be the years of racing Supermoto? :mrgreen:

11. Guys
    I purchased a 2014 Hypermotard SP and found immediately that the clutch worked terribly from a dead stop. Particularly when at a light trying to get a jump on traffic. I found your forum and posts about the Judder spring and looked into it. My local Ducati dealer was useless but Barnett Clutch in Ventura hooked me up with their version of the Judder spring. It also included a fiber clutch plate with a larger diameter hole in the center to accommodate the Judder spring and flat plate.
    I installed it, took about an hour. Let the gasket seal dry and whala the clutch felt like a normal clutch on every other bike I've ever owned. I was already super happy with this bike, now I'm even happier. (IMO Ducati should be handing these Judder springs out for free, they really screwed up on this slipper clutch design)

12. Hey just to follow-up on what BrentFrank posted above me here - I called Barnett Clutch, and what they told me was this: when BrentFrank came in to their shop, they had a stock 2015 Ducati Hypermotard clutch on hand, and simply gave BrentFrank parts from that (judder spring and fiber clutch plate). So they don't actually make a clutch pack or anti-judder spring that will fix this issue; what they provided were Ducati parts they happened to have on hand.

What this means is 2 things:
    1) Barnett clutch doesn't make the parts we're looking for
    2) The clutch pack from a 2015 hypermotard should drop in and solve the issue, since it apparently includes the anti-judder spring.

The folks at Barnett were super helpful though - I'd definitely go to them if I were looking for any other parts.