close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Easy Out -- need to remove a bolt

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Jafar, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

one of the bolts that connects the frame to my motor busted, and since the nut is self-locking and there is a lip on the bolt, it will be nearly impossible to get the rest of the bolt out in order to replace it.

a friend suggested using an "Easy-Out". before i do it i wanted to see if anyone had any experience using one and thus, some advice, before i attack the kwak.

thanks!!!

2. Be very very carefull. easy outs are only easy by name. if you try one make sure you get the right size. too big and you can damage the threads, too small and it will not do anything.

3. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

yeah... thats what i've heard..

4. Make sure you drill EXACTLY in the center of the bolt you are removing...at the correct and same angle the bolt is going. Use a dremel if you have to to make a flat spot to center punch the bolt to prevent the drill from walking.

that is true...easy only by name. go slow and be carefull...if you do not get the hole correct the extractor may keep the fastener from EVER coming out.

If you don't have a lot of experience with them... I would suggest NOT learning on your bike...the fasteners and the material that they go into are often hard to work with anyway.

you might want to find someone who is really familiar with them...at the very least if they mess it up you have someone else to yell at.

5. Hi, my name is anyone....
    I've done lots of that broken bolt stuff Jafar, any chance you could put up a pic?
    I may have some ideas, or a torch..........a big pry bar..........and a hammer.......
    (I'm curious how you broke the bolt though)?

6. [/QUOTE]the nut is self-locking and there is a lip on the bolt, it will be nearly impossible to get the rest of
    Everyone else has pretty much covered the EZout thing. U might consider these...think you are saying the bolt shaft is necked down? How about just grinding or splitting nut off other end? Sometimes a diamond shapped punch used carefully will back out the broken bolt (of course you would have to hold nut solid)

7. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

it is very hard to access the other end of the bolt, the end with the locking nut on it, i.e., it might involve pulling the front end off.

i'll put some pictures up before i do it... at the very least i'll have a picture of my bike before i ruin it.

8. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

okay, so here's what i did:

1) drill a hole in the bolt. the easy out package says what size drill you need to match up with the particular easy out size. in this case i used the second smallest easy out size which matched up with a 7/32in drill bit. i drilled into the bolt almost a half inch.

2) the nut was already secured from the other side. its hard to see from the picture, but there is only one way for it to come out, and thats away perpendicular from the bolt. the reason why i couldn't just pull it out was becuase it was being held in that slot from three sides, it could only be removed by pulling it at a 90 degree angle away from the bolt: impossible when its threaded into that bolt.

3) then insert the easy out screw--i didn't need to secure the nut cause it was already held in place by the motor casing--and then twist the easy out. its threaded backwards so i unscrews the bolt while tightning into the bolt.

it turned out to be pretty easy. i took freezincolds advice and did it with someone who had used an easy out before. anyway, hope this helps anyone who might have a similar problem in the future. here are some pictures:

you can kinda see where the nut was held in place, on the opposite end of where the bold is hanging. top right black part is the frame, the silver is the motor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nice photos, good info to have

E

10. NICE JOB!!! congratulations...and how did you break it...it's ok to admit it here...we're all friends... :)

11. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

think it was just a faulty bolt.

its amazing how much not having a engine mount bolt effects handling, though. the whole bike seems to turn into a spring when you don't have a bolt, its a little subtle, but you'll get a slight bouncing feeling when your cornering and loading the suspension.

didn't have to order a replacement from Kawi, found a stainless allen bolt from a company called Prenine or something, down in the industrial district of seattle. they gave it to me for free, as a sample, cause they have a minimum order.

all fixed!