close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Engine Backfires

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Gixxer6, May 8, 2005.

1. Im runnin an 05' Gixxer 600, and coming down from the high rpm's (11-12k) i sometimes get some small backfires. I took it to the mechanic over at Spokane Powersports and he said that it was natural. But does that hurt the motor or anything??

2. I don't know about it being natural, that's news to me.

Is the bike stock? What kind of mods have been done to it? Specifically, the exhaust setup?

3. Sounds a hair lean, but in today's emissions climate and how finicky computers are, the popping out the muffler isnt such a horrible thing, and is somewhat common. If you have mods, have you done remap/PC3? Remapping somehow will reduce the popping considerably, although may not eliminate it. As long as you arent getting true backfiring (ignition BTDC causing your combustion pulse through the intake/fuel injection) your not going to do catastrophic harm in the short term.

E

4. The bike is 100% stock. the backfires aren't bad, but i guess just loud enough for a person behind me to hear. doesnt happen all the time tho. Only in first and second gear that i have noticed.

5. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

what octane gas are you putting in?

6. that is decel popping -- it happens because you are still flowing lots of air but virtually no fuel as you rapidly decel. If it is as you describe, I wouldn't worry about it either.

7. Thats what i was thinking. I have never run below a 92 octane. the manual says it can run rgular, but i have always used premium

8. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

it because your chopping the throttle down to fast, u need to roll off the high r's if you dont want it to pop! But no, it is not bad on the motor, Just follow me and my 636 at night for a little ways. U'll think yours pops bad, u just wait!

9. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

my duc would do that on decel when it wasn't warm. sounded soooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo good, though!

10. I remember the palouse pirate complaining about the same thing on his 04.

11. cordodor

cordodor Retired

on my R6, I can block off your AIS to stop the decel popping. I dont know if you can do it on yours... dont see why not. not supposed to be that good for emissions though... get the bike tuned and that should stop it.