close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fatal motorcycle accident in Orofino

Discussion in 'Northern ID' started by Avboden, Apr 30, 2014.

1. A good friend of mine was right behind the car that caused this, she's a mess over it as she knew the rider and witnessing something like this isn't easy.

http://idahostatepolice.blogspot.com/2014/04/fatal-crash-us1244-orofino.html

84 year old lady turned in front of Monty R. Smith (40YO). Smith was declared dead at the hospital. He was not wearing a helmet.

RIP rider :-( remember everyone, look twice and maybe it's time to talk to your older relatives about hanging up the keys. and FFS wear a helmet

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. Orofino is my home town and the deceased Monty Smith was a good family friend. The turn off the highway to the bridge has always needed a light. Maybe now it will get one. I don't know how much a helmet would have assisted a 65mph head on collision into the broad side of a car, but nonetheless I wish it had been present. A true loss for all, he was an awesome friend.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. Sorry to hear :-( fair point about the speed.

Sadly most of the time these days it takes someone dying for a new light or paint to be put into place.

4. I read where the driver said she didn't see him. I once had an older woman take a left turn in front of me and we collided. She too said she didn't see me. Fortunately (for me), she was in a Pinto and I was driving an International Scout. Orange. With lakeside pipes. *sigh* :rant

5. I don't understand the difficulty in seeing a large yamaha cruiser coming straight at you on a two lane highway. Especially when you have slowed to a near/complete stop to make a 90 degree left turn.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Ohub Campfire mobile app

6. First, RIP rider.

Second, had the old girl had some liquor in side of her, she would have been charged with vehicular homicide.
    Why is it that if you don't and kill someone it's not homocide?

gplutt likes this.
  7. Because if they charge her to the max(which they probably won't), the maximum charge could go up as far as involuntary manslaughter(Killing someone without the pre-meditated attempt to do so). She most likely won't be charged with anything, let alone a charge that heavy, it'd be a public relations nightmare for the local authorities. Thats at least how the law was written/interpreted in the state I was an LEO in, but an ID LEO is definitely the better authority on their laws.

8. plus locking up 84 year old ladies doesn't do any good for society

9. Taking away their drivers license sure does though.

gplutt likes this.
  10. Jims08Z06

Jims08Z06 Bat Crazed

+1
    Or at least at 80 or so, be required to pass a written and skills test same as new drivers. My mothers 87, and has rounded off every corner of her car; Despite attempts from all us kids, she refuses to stop driving. How does one turn in their own mother??? PS another good reason to ride with the brights on; I used to get flashed at times, but that confirmed they were seeing me...AJ

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    gplutt likes this.
  11. Anyone that promotes taking oldsters' licenses away... I hope you can recall that when you are old. There is no good answer to this kind of tragedy. Personally, I take on a mind set that every car out there doesn't give a crap if I live or die... and I then ride accordingly. That has worked for me (KNOCK ON WOOD) for 50 years of riding. No wait,, did I say that?? Crap, will they take away the licenses of old motorcyclists as well?l Something to consider.

12. Everything below is an opinion.

I don't think taking away the license is the answer, but neither is refusing to acknowledge that as a human being ages, they lose certain abilities. Yes, you can become more cautious and efficient, but how many people actually take the time to do that for something seen as a chore? (driving is a chore to many people).

The fact of the matter is, driving tests are not hard enough in this country. The disparity in difficulty between a motorcycle rider's test and a DMV automobile test is like comparing multivariable calculus to coloring in between the lines.

Younger drivers need to be held to higher standards for a duration, then once they've proven themselves they'll get less strict monitoring.

Older drivers need to be reassessed on a more regular basis. I'll own that rule when I hit my elder years and you won't hear a complaint from me because the rule makes sense.

Are there 85 year olds out there who can drive well? Yes. Are there people out there who have driven drunk and not gotten into an accident? Sure. Can I drive down i5 with my eyes closed? Maybe I can make it a mile...

But these are the exceptions to the rule. It sucks for some, but if society wants to have any chance at being safe and efficient, (aka if we want to avoid drunk drivers, accidents with elders who shouldn't have been driving, and keeping incompetent clouts off the road in general) it is to play by the rules, not the exceptions.

Tighter restrictions are what we need. Very rarely do I advocate more government regulation, but in light of the extreme hazard that 60 mph collisions of 2000+ LBS of metal poses, I think this is one "civil liberty" I can stand to lose a bit of grip on.

Jims08Z06 likes this.
  13. All great thoughts. However, tons of similar crashes happen without an elder at the wheel, so what about them? We can't regulate every category of driver, and even if we could, anyone can screw up at the worst of times. Anytime we throw a leg over two wheels, its a risk, a big risk, until the kickstand comes down. If we want safer, better drive the car....like I do when I go to Spokane on a Saturday.

Keep the lights on, wear bright colors (helmets are your beacons on any crowded street), and never assume the cars give a shit about your life. You cannot assume someone else will make the right decisions. Be safe all.

14. Terrible tragedy, so sorry for the loss of a decent person, and the trauma to the witness. This happens too often, driving is a privilege, not a right. But just try to install tougher laws on elderly drivers and the AARP will be all over it. Those big, giant, huge motorhomes???? No special license required. I had to get a CDL to drive the Ski bus.

Rant follows, and then some good info.

From the WA DOL...(.if you don't have the pair to just take the damn license and car away, let the State do it for you. And yes I have, and I did. Have helped friends do it too. "Oh dad, we are taking your car to the shop for you, it is making a funny noise" )

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/reportunsafe.html

Report unsafe drivers

How to report an unsafe driver

If you feel that someone you know is no longer able to operate a vehicle safely, complete a Driver Evaluation Request.

Things to remember when reporting an unsafe driver
    •Please be as specific as possible about the driving abilities and medical or vision conditions of the driver, and include supporting documents with the completed form if necessary.
    •The age of the driver isn’t a consideration. Just because a driver has reached a particular age doesn’t mean that he or she is an unsafe driver. Medical conditions affecting driver safety can happen to anyone at any age.
    •All information submitted must be personal knowledge or observation. We won’t accept second-hand information or anonymous letters.

What happens after we receive a report

We’ll review the information to determine the next step:
    •Often, we’ll send the driver a medical or vision certificate asking for more information from a physician or eye care practitioner.
    •We may require the driver to complete a re-examination of driving knowledge and skills. Depending on the skill level demonstrated by the driver, we may take action such as requiring equipment to accommodate impairments.
    •If we determine that the driver is a threat to public safety, we may cancel his or her driving privilege.

Confidentiality

Under Washington State law, information we receive about unsafe drivers isn’t confidential and will be provided to drivers or their attorneys upon written request. However, don’t let that stop you from intervening when safety is at risk.