Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Dual Sport

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Lancemcc, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Hello,
    I'm looking to get my first dual sport in the coming months and was hoping some of you might be able to point me toward a good bike to get, and which ones wouldn't be a good option. I'm in college right now, so looking for used bikes for fairly cheap. I've ridden dirt bikes since I was around 10, but the largest bike I've ridden was a 250 2-stroke. Finally looking to make the transition to the street. Just looking for something to have fun with on the weekend, as well as not having to drive my truck all the time since it gets horrible gas mileage.
  2. Lots of options for $6k or less. Also, there's a wide range of capabilities from street to dirt. Nothing's perfect for all riding, of course, so try something and see if you like it, or want to go more one direction or another.

Craigslist, of course. has used bike listings, too.

4. A simple suggestion for you - which I had to mull over when buying a DS. If you get an older, less expensive bike, and it breaks, or you break it and your truck is not close bye, you very well could have a long walk home. I suggest you get something not to badly abused, and consider trucking it at least part way to your ride so if it does break, you don't have a long way home pushing a broken toy. I have seen videos of lots of dual sporters out tearing up the countryside - which is great fun, but them toys do break -especially when you hit trees or rocks with them.