close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First thoughts on the 2010 Honda VFR 1200F

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Dec 17, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

The 2010 Honda VFR 1200F was at the motorcycle show this past weekend here in Seattle, pics can be seen here, and I spent some time looking over and sitting on the bike.

To sum up the new VFR1200F in one word, I said "blah" on my Twitter page.

To sum up the new VFR1200F in two words, I would say "stunningly weird".

Stunningly weird is a euphemism to describe what I am now calling this, the UVFR 1200, with the U representing Ugly.

My first thoughts on the 2010 Honda UVFR 1200F:
    • The fairings seem to be design oddities, but it's probably a result of airflow management considerations.
    • The rear drive hanging off the left-side is abnormally big. It reminds me of some scooters, which incorporate the engine, transmission, and rear drive on one side of the rear wheel.
    • The rider ergonomics feel very good and very appropriate for this motorcycle.
    • The suspension is Showa garbage and has limited dampening adjustability.
    • The bike is overweight at 591 pounds wet.
    • The fuel capacity is limited, at 4.9 gallons. On a long motorcycle ride, one will constantly be stopping for fuel or planning every next fuel stop.

Final Thoughts:
    I would like to ride this motorcycle. Once I have ridden this bike, I am confident I will be able to identify this bike's "real" weaknesses.

2. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Seems like most VFR fans wanted the bike that Aprilia made - the RSV-4.

That thing is fuuuuuuuuuuuugly.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009

3. I gotta see it in person...It has lots of potential. When i saw it on the cover of Motorcyclist...i thought damn, looks good.

But I have a Honda Bias :mrgreen:

Cmon Beans...where's the love bro ???!!!?!? :nana

[​IMG]

4. I was so hoping the 1200 was going to look a little better. I saw it at the Seattle show. The exaust is too ugly to even ride home from the dealer with. The concept bike looked cooler than hell but I am a bit dissapointed in the production scooter.
    I also understand it tips the scales at over 500 pounds. Is that right?
    Have to wait and see what happens next year. Sales will tell what Honda does with it in the future.
    Thanks Beans! RFTP

5. The wet weight is 591 pounds.

6. I've shot the shit with a good many people about the VFR1200F, and what you've said here was dead on summarizing every last comment I've heard about this bike.

The real question now is... What single word for your impressions after a first ride? :shock: If its not par, this might be a debut dud in the eyes of many.

I'm personally curious about riding it myself, though I doubt I'll be afforded that luxury.

7. Honda failed on all fronts with the 1200

8. looks like every other sport bike... except maybe crossed with a bison with that tank hump...

9. RedVFR

RedVFR Fast, Easy, and Old Fashioned

Nice write up of your first impressions beans. Personally, I could deal with the funky looks (except the exhaust can *gag*) but they threw so much unmitigated crap onto a powerplant that promises to be pretty awesome, the end result is unforgivable in my opinion.

Too heavy and stretched to be anything but an ST1300 replacement.

Yay, inverted forks....too bad they're just as bad and entry level as the standard ones they replaced. No improvement on the rear shock either.

It's got better radial mount brakes (they better be, it's gained so much damn weight) but they're still linked, booooo! That and Honda didn't even bother using the badass ABS setup from the CBR.

LESS fuel capacity by a gallon? Are these guys effin' nuts?

And last but not least, shaft drive.....come on, really?

Once again, I'll point out the example of how to design into this market segment, Kawasaki's ZX-14 and C-14. The ZX-14 is a no-holds-barred, big-bore sport machine and the C-14 is the epitome of what a fully dressed sport-touring machine should be. Honda has gotten used to creating niches based on the strength of the machines they design but this....talk about being off target. This is so wide of the mark, I don't even know where to start looking for it. You could have had a winner with this one Honda. :roll:

10. I want my '98 VFR back.

11. I'm not interested in the direction Honda took the 7th gen but for the life of me I can't understand how people are managing to shoot it down without taking it for a spin. Get on the F'n thing before spouting off about it's performance and rideabilitiy.:roll:

12. RedVFR

Pffft, there are lots of bikes that I want to ride, even this one. Having said that, I have no love for a bike that has porked out like this nor is it in my price range anymore. Much heavier, still has mediocre suspension, so so brakes, and a $6k price increase to put it in the same price bracket as the K1300s? It's not going to matter how much I can test ride it, this is not the bike I want in my garage.

13. I think, and this is a rough guess/shot in the dark, that there may be hope of a more performance driven VFR in the Future.

1. this is a VFRF The F designation is typically not the "race" or performance model. The "originals" were VFF's. They got changed to the VFR in 86 when they built it as a dedicated race bike.

2. It also is lacking in the "Interceptor" tag/name. All VFR's since 86 and the VFF's in 83-85 had the Interceptor name.

This could possibly mean that there is a performance version in the future...

14. RedVFR

Hope springs eternal.... :angry7:

15. RVFR

RVFR Pilot in Command

Bingo! we have a winner!!

16. The write up in the magazine about the test ride at a track in Japan was pretty positive.

17. I ride a 98 VFR for travel. I have close to 65,000 miles on it. I could see myself on a 1200f 2 or 3 years from not. A lot faster then I see me on a gold wing or an FJ. A test ride will be the truth telling story. I will keep my SV1000s for playing around in the mountains on.

18. The mags love it ...I feel it looks like a busa/Cadillac Eldorado hybrid crackup:

19. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

Not a bike I'm really interested in, seems like a sportier ST1300? But I am excited about the dual clutch trans, this is the future of performance bikes. Like a speed shifter, but much better, perfect launches, no stalling, etc. The initial ride reports support my thought that this is the best part of the bike.

20. I finally figured out the one word I have been trying to find to describe this bike. In my opinion, it looks... sanitized.