close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flat Track Advise

Discussion in 'Track Time' started by TLRich, Jul 16, 2017.

1. After nearly a 70 year absents, Flat Tracking is returning to my town Pendleton Oregon. Home of the Historic Pendleton Round "Le'ter Buck"

Thunder in the Blues Facebook page, A Flat Track group out of Boise is organizing the 1/4mile event on the clay track in the fairgrounds

My goal is to participate in this historic event in the "knobby group" on my 2001 DR650 sporting a new 17" Shinko 705 rear and 21" Pirelli Rally Cross front.

Experience includes lots of dirt, motocross and some OMRRA road racing early in life and over 40 years of street and current Track day enthusiast.

Realistically, I understand that my day will be over quite quickly, But just want to be able to make a few laps around this 1/4 mile horse track on my Bush Pig Thumper, make some noise with the FMF silencer, and spin the rear wheel powering out of the corner.

I get the basic body position and premise : High up on the outside edge of the seat, weight up on the front wheel and pressing in with the outside knee to coax the the bike over to initiate steering with the rear and adjusting the front wheel and throttle to modulate the power slide. Start high, shoot for the apex and drift out.

Suggestions for bike set up, riding tips, and other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Tire Pressures ? Should I drop the fork tube down? And even bother lowering the factory lower link adjustment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!