close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

galfer supersport vs superbike lines...

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by jezterr, Nov 28, 2004.

1. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

my spieglers aren't cutting it, so i'm going to reinstall them a different way (i may have installed them upside down, if that's possible). if that doesn't make them better, i'm going to purchase some galfer lines. i was wondering if there was a major difference between the supersport and superbike lines, and why the superbike lines are race only? is it safe for the street?

let me know what you think...

2. Didnt you get Spiegler because LRG told ya to?!?!? Should have gone the Muzzy route...

3. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

yeah, i know. i shouldn't have listened to a dude with a gixxer.

4. Go with the Goodridge lines, the regular ss ones are good also. But honestly, braided line is braided line meaning go out and bleed your brakes bro!

5. Yep-Steel Lines are Steel Lines. If you have a problem its not the lines-Are you running stock pads?

6. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

nope. carbone lorraine pads. i might switch to ebc pads after these ones run down.

and i'm getting a mityvac or something to bleed the brakes next chance i get...

AND WHY THE FUCK DOES NO ONE HAVE 10MM CRUSH WASHERS?? you'd think that it would be a common part to have in the shop... went to several shops and had to order them through yoyodyne, goddamnit... but that's okay. they're brembo.

7. EBC Double-H Sintered Brake Pads...there is nothing else that compares. I mean that.

8. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

in the future, i'm getting rotors, too.

ebc pro-lites (when they have it available for madison) or galfer wave rotors?

i'll be getting some bst wheels, and opp body work, too...

hey, a guy can dream, right?

9. My 12 is set up with:

EBC Pro-Lite UK Race Rotors
    EBC Double-H Sintered Brake Pads
    Muzzy SS Braided Lines
    Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid

It's a stopping machine wuhahahaha...

Personally, I cannot justify the $$$ on new wheels. If anything, I'll pick up another set of stock rims. The rims I want are nearly $4000 for a set, and I'd rather dump that much money into purchasing another bike. Just my two cents though.

10. I like performance friction for pads. Heard about quality issues with galfer waves.

Since you are hot for upgrade why don't you just pickup a Brembo kit from yoyo.

11. So what is his problem - besides riding a Honda?

Only difference are the small things - diameter etc. of the lines. Goodrige, I think, has a cool deal where you can turn the banjo fittings a couple of degrees.

Putting them on the other way won't affect performance, but merely fit and routing of the lines. Which is important to keep them from binding or pulling in the wheel stroke as the suspension works. (Dont get all excited...I said 'stroke').

So what's the problem with the brakes? Fading? Mushy feel?

Mushy feel - they need to be bled right. Getting ALL the air from a brake system can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Fade? NEW fluid or new PADS.

Oh, and ANY fluid on the pads will destroy them. So if yer bud got fluid on the pads during bleeding - sorry old chap. Get new ones. They will never stop right.

12. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

learned a lot about brakes in the past few months, eh?

no, no liquid on the pads, other than brake cleaner. the feel is mushy, and i've always felt that there's more travel in the lever than the stock ones ever had. they work great and stop me fine, i'm just looking for something a little bit more firm...

13. If you have braided lines and they are mushy-Beans hit it on the head-bleed them good-not half ass*.

Are they any different after they heat up?

14. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

no diff when heated. i don't know. re-installing, and rebleeding with a mityvac. i just got the crush washers from yoyodyne. hopefully it'll help. or it could be all in my head, ya never know.

15. The only difference that I know of are that the sportbike lines use banjo fittings all the way around, while the superbike lines use a direct connector at the calipers and banjo's at the lever. Performance difference? I have no idea.

I actually just installed the sportbike lines and some CRG levers last week and today was the first day I had a chance to ride with them. The total combination is SWEEEEEEEET. :twisted:

Later,
    Chris

16. Ah those CRG levers are so cool and expensive-did you get grey or gold?

17. Thread Hyjack! HA HA!

Little late, but oh well.

Gold levers, shorty brake, regular clutch.

18. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

them crg's are on my wish list.

19. Don't use spray brake cleaner directly on your pads you will ruin the piston seals. Use soap and water to clean the dirt out then wipe the rotors down with a rag soaked with brake cleaner.

20. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

okay. where do i get new piston seals, then?