close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Genisx1's FZR

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by genisx1, Jul 17, 2005.

1. A short oration on why I hang on forums like this one..........
    I was ready to throw this bike away a year ago due to a serious vaccum of local support, but thanx to some good people I met on forums like this one - I found just enough help to rebuild this bike, and made some freinds/learned a lot in the process. (Jafar calls it a beast, I'm not changing his story).
    The bike needed an engine rebuild, and I managed to collect enough "slightly" used parts to get that done.
    It was a stock '92 FZR1000.
    It now has a Wiseco 1070 big bore kit thanks to some legends car racers Who found themselves with a pile of illegal go fast parts due to a sanctioning body rules change for thier racing class, as well as a Vance & Hines ported/milled/stainless valve Cylinder head from the same source.
    Trans had worn engagement dogs, and was sent out to Fast by Gast for rebuild/undercutting.
    Clutch basket was missing drive ears (they just did that on these bikes - notoriously weak clutches) and was replace with a Fallicon billet piece.
    A set of degreeable cam gears and a shift kit from Factory Pro, plus a new Tsubaki cam chain Completed the engine rebuild parts list.
    I did get the crank and rods balanced, but probably didn't need to.
    It took most of last summer to do the work, there were hold ups on parts orders, and plenty of last minute panic orders from Yami dealers all over the country - But I think the result has been worth it, so here's some pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was still a lot of work to do even after getting the engine back together, but that was more fun stuff really, It is now running with a set of Keihin FCR 39mm downdraft/flatslide carbs, and a N.O.S Vance & Hines full header system. (no EXUP).
    The dyno chart is from a run taken mid-way through the tunning process, but shows 145 or so RWHP with the A/F ratio seriously out of whack - lots of jet orders from Sudco later it's starting to exhibit a nice raspy burble from the pipe and seems to be running much better.
    The cost for this whole mess was probably about 4k (before the carbs), though I didn't keep really close track on that, But it was worth it to get back up and riding without a new bike payment book.
    I think the best part about having done a project like this is that it still looks completely stock, I'm even considering putting the reflectors back on the front forks to accentuate the look too......
    There 'Ya go, just thought I'd share ;-)
    B.

Oh, I don't live anywhere, and I never sleep *wink*

2. Perferd

Perferd Grade A Champion

Thats a ton of power out of that thing my friends new ZX10 only puts out 10 more then that thing which is 13 years older lol

3. That is a bloody sweet bike...any knowlege as to where I could find a 1989 example?

4. Check here
    Freezin, they do come up for sale occasionally, and there's E-bay links you can check also.
    An '89 is a good choice BTW, much better look IMHO.

5. That is a beast! Did you ride with Jafar? That bike looks like a total sleeper ready to pounce haha, I like it! When you took it in to get painted, did you ask them to stay true to the original look/design for the paint scheme? Adding the reflectors would just make it more of a sleeper too.

6. very nice. It's always fun when they start after all that hard work huh?
    Great job !!

7. I haven't gotten it painted B/B, I suspect it has new body work from some previous crash repair before I got it in 2000 - but that's a guess from me.
    It took a bit of work and $$ to get in running shape when I got it, and I found (and repalced) quite a few bent and damaged bits on the front end before it ever turned a wheel.
    Those were considerations for me when the engine quit playing nice, I woulda lost all that work!
    Thanx for the reviews guys, it's nice to get some feedback.
    I think I might leave the ZX10's alone for now P. :?

8. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

Wow. I don't know much about bike mechanics, but the dyno tells me enough. :clap

9. cordodor

cordodor Retired

that is one sweet bike. nice work on rebuilding it. Love that thing

10. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

I had no idea that bike had so much hutzpah, man! I know it sounded pretty wicked when I heard it this weekend, but 145+hp, DAAAANG! :notworth: Beast, indeed!

11. Very impressive! It is nice to see another FZR on the forums (although your is much more bike!)

What part of seattle are you in? When I am back I usually stay w/ my parents in the North End (Mukeltio) but if you want to go out for a ride sometime, let me know. I should be back sometime in august.

Oh, what year of vette is that in the background? My friend mike has almost the exact same one.

12. Hey there HAT, - I'm in the Greenwood/Broadview area, and yeah well have to get together when your back here. I will P/M my phone # to 'Ya.
    The plastic hot rod is an '87, needs a new owner though - I'm sick of it.
    There's two good days in a 'Vette owners life - The day you buy it and the day you sell it, I'm looking forward to the second one ;-) .
    B.

13. If I remember right the numbers shown are measured at the rear wheel jabstar,
    Even though that run was made more to check the carb set-up than for peak power testing I wasn't led to believe that the #'s were anything more than rear wheel measurements.
    I see that the screen reads STPP/STPT, and I'll guess that has more to do with the dyno software than output calculations.
    That was done back in may, so please forgive may aging brain matter if I get fuzzy on the details, but I think I remember a conversation about what the crank HP would be with George (who owns the dyno, and Seattle cycle service) - we guessed about 155 to 160 at the crank.
    Here's what I do know - I grab a hanfull of throttle now, and the tank hits me in the chest. It didn't used to do that. :shock:

14. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

I had George and Walter do mine too. Ran Excellent up tell this spring. I had put about 6000 miles on it since this spring. Just got back from a ride with Walter up to Lolo Hot springs. So I find out if you unhook your battery, which I did over winter, it re-sets the Power Comander.

But my sheet had some weird stuff, here!
    [​IMG]

After looking close at mine, I believe it is sbhowing the rear wheel horsepower. That is very impressive for such an older bike! Great job!

15. Doh!
    I've heard a few things about the Power comanders, but not that!
    Something I'd like to get into (but I'm gonna need help) is to adapt commonly available eeprom chips to electrical controlls like ignition boxes.
    I've read up a bit on it, and there are lot of possibilities in logic controllers and software. But it would be nice not to have to re-program every spring.

16. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Ya tell me about it. Walter is trying to find the dyno run with the set up. I hope he does, so I dont have to run it again. Too much $$$! Do you have there phone on hand, so I can call him. Thanks.

17. Why yes I do! Try them at 425-778-4333, and I'll wish you luck with gettin the chart back.
    B.