close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good ride, 7 states, 2900 miles

Discussion in 'Wenatchee' started by Guy M, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Guy M

Guy M (Washington) City

Only big ride this year, had not done anything over a half day so far this year, then I took off for a week and enjoyed. Visited family & friends, took care of some business. Rode as few miles on the interstates as I could and enjoyed as many two-lane roads as possible. Even got in about 50 miles of dirt/gravel roads in Nevada. Camped a bit, motel a couple of times. Great ride!

Washington, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Nevada, California & Oregon. Went as far east as Salt Lake City and as far west as the Pacific Ocean. Loved it. Averaged 480 miles/day. Strom averaged about 55 mpg and had plenty of punch to carry me and my gear up over many mountain passes. Camped at about 8,000' up in the Nevada mountains one night... Oh man, the stars were incredible!

Here's a handful of photos:

Idaho:
    [​IMG]

Does this mean I can say I took my Wee Strom to the Salt Flats?
    [​IMG]

Nevada:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

California (Yeah, I know the sign looks like it grew out of my shoulder, I didn't take the photo, some guy on a BMW did. The photo I took of him likely has it growing out of his head...):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't feel like I'd been riding enough this year. The trip solved that problem!

Enjoy the summer. It's all too fleeting.

Regards, Guy

2. 820320RR

820320RR Rub me, I sparkle!

Great pics and amazing route. That looks like it was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

3. :mfclap: awesome! I was starting to get fed up of all the RIP,
    Idiot cager and must wear gear threads. Thanks for sharing, it has brightened my day seeing your pics

One of these days I'll make my road trip :roll:

4. nice! That 5th picture down is awesome, I bet all you could hear is the wind blowing!

5. Way to go, Guy. I need to get out of town myself. Great shots. Where was the 143 miles of curves?

6. Guy M

Guy M (Washington) City

That roadsign beckoning with 140 miles of curves is just outside Red Bluff, California, on Hwy 36.

Hwy 36 crosses the coast range from Red Bluff to the Pacific, and it's not much of an exaggeration. There are a few straights in there, but by and by, it's twisty.

Just north of 36 is 299, from Redding to the coast. It's quite similar. I didn't take 299 this time, but have in the past.

Hwy 36 had a fair bit of road construction going on. They're widening and straightening some of the sections near Red Bluff, and resurfacing some of the sections higher in the mountains. A lot of it is real twisty, narrow, climbing & descending. Lots of fun! There's also wildlife along the way, mostly blacktail deer. Keep an eye out for 'em. Some logging trucks too.

Regards, Guy

7. I was just starting out on highway 36 this February when I hit a deer for the 2nd time. Spent 4 days in the Fortuna hospital. So I never got to ride the whole thing. A local counted 100 deer once traversing that road. A lot of great roads in that neighborhood.

8. Guy M

Guy M (Washington) City

We need to get you a hunting license and a rifle, it's cheaper & easier... :mrgreen:

9. Nice report.

I also favor that 5th photo down ...

10. Looks like a cool ride, I hope you didn't pack too many miles into one day!