close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS Unit

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by SilverDawg, Jun 5, 2005.

1. I have noticed a few of you have these. I am in the market for a good GPS unit. Any recommendations? Want to be able to track trips, but have enough detail to include logging roads (for dirt bike weekends). Don't want to go above $300.
    Thanks for your input.

2. i love mine but it is a bit small for looking at on the road in motion. I put it in the top of my tank bag where the maps should be and it seems to work just fine there. It has 8mb of internal memory and i have a version of the maping software for it that you can use and then upgrade. It will only hold from Sedro Wooly south to Tacoma, and from Bremmerton east to the mountains at one time due to the limited memory. However in that range you have every store, gas station, movie theatre, food place, etc... that is to say if the location you are at is inside your "area of detail" you can get the name address and phone # of any business it is pretty unreal. Mine is the Garmin E-Trex Legend and I think they go for about $180-$200...The software is about $60 but there are ways around that....because it's small it is very easy to transport and it's also waterproof. One other use (you wouldn't need this unless you a cacher) when geocaching you can pretend it's a cell phonbe to throw off the muggles.

www.geocaching.com

3. Except when you are on a dirt bike and are running out of fuel!

Thanks for the input guys.

4. Looks like a good product. We'll see if it delivers when it comes out. Don't want to wait. I'd like to have it and mess with it a bit before the trip to Seca.
    All I know is after doing some research I can't wait to mess around with whichever one I end up getting. I love gadgets. Currently leaning toward this one: http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac/index.jsp
    Found it for a lot less on line.

5. been there and done that and never want to do it again cause that was one hell of a walk through the woods

6. very slick. make it in-helmet and i won't be able to resist.

7. oh yeah, and integrate guages into it. and a rearview camera. and a radar detector. and make it $99. i'm not being unreasonable am i?

8. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Sign me up! Oh wait...new tires, new sprocket, new chain...damn I don't have $99.