close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP! Dropped Washer In Engine....

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Sam Fisher, Jan 9, 2018.

1. While working on my 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 tonight, I was reinstalling the factory mirrors. As I was doing so, the bolt and washer slipped out of the mirror and fell between the tank and bars.

I was able to find the bolt sitting on what looked like some wiring harness a few inches down, however, I can't seem to find the washer that was attached.

My fear is that the washer may have slipped through one of the openings in the side of the tank and ended up somewhere else. I looked around and saw no sign of the washer on the ground.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before / have any advice for finding the washer?

I've worked on a lot of bikes in the last few years, but I have never done anything along these lines...

2. Lol, Lost in "Engine Land".... I'm sure it's happened to most everyone if they've owned a motorcycle for any time. Get a flashlight and get ever angle have a magnetic extension handy should you see it and fish it out. If you can't find it and you are really worried about it, pull the tank. Then again, are you sure it did't fall all the way to the floor and roll behind something? One of the worst things to drop is the old style rubber cone shaped handlebar dampers. Those bad boys will roll straight for up to 15 to 20 feet from my experience and then take a slow 180 degree turn hiding itself behind whatever you would never look behind. It's still a good idea to pull the tank and locate it. I'm sure there is still some cable operated butterflies on the fuel injection (throttle) and with the slim chance it could wedges itself in there.. you can do the math. All in all nothing to panic over, it'll give you a chance to get to know your bike a little more intimately! Good Luck!

3. "It went somewhere..."
    It just may be hard to find.

5. This happens almost every time I work on a bike. Good advice above with the flashlight and magnet, start poking around. At least half the time I though the bike caught the fastener, but it did hit the ground and rolled several feet away. Be careful not to kick it somewhere else.

7. You need a telescoping magnet around for general purposes. Washers and nuts and bolts frequently drop down onto the frame and attaching parts and a magnet will often find them.

8. Invert the motorcycle.
    If it can fall in, it can fall out.