close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me Choose a Cruiser

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Didley, Mar 1, 2018.

1. I'm looking for a daily ride for work. I'm interested in a reasonably comfortable ride and am looking at cruisers.

All of my riding experience has been on sport bikes (600RR and Hayabusa), so I'm not as well-versed in what is available in terms of cruisers.

Looking for a used bike in perfect running condition. I'd like to spend around $8000 or less. I don't have any brand loyalties; just interested best bang for my buck.

I like the look of the Victory and Indian models. Also, it's probably relevant that I'm 6'4 and around 270 lbs.

Doing a lot of research on my own, but figured it would be good to hear your experiences and suggestions as well.

2. You could get a used scout 60 or 69 for around your price range. They would work for you with the extended reach controls. I'm sure the dealer would let you ride one. One word of caution though. Gobs of power. You'll be hooked. It's like a cruiser with a crotch rocket soul. Had mine 3 years and still love every ride.

Didley likes this.

3. I love the look of the Indian 60. I'll check it out. Thank you!

mack likes this.
  4. The Indian Scout is a great bike, but may be too small for your frame. Worth looking into though. Another option would be to go used with a Harley-Davidson Softail model or a Road King. Sound Harley in Marysville is giving away gift cards to people taking test rides right now, probably worth going up there and getting paid to ride.

5. As a sportbiker myself, nothing will entertain you like a Rocket III. A lightly used one can be had for your budget. Very comfortable for taller riders, I'm 6'3" and I have TONS of space to move/re position.

No cruiser will ever feel fast again once you've ridden a Rocket III.

6. Almost 150hp...? Rocket indeed.

7. Check out the HD Softail Deluxes. You might consider the sport touring group of bikes.

8. A different perspective is the Honda VTX 1800 from the early teens. I have a 2003 that I have extensively modified mine and it turns heads everywhere I go. It is rare to stop along a ride and not have someone taking a picture of it. Powerful, smooth, one of the most dependable low maintenance motorcycles I have ever ridden. Classic lines, v twin design, shaft drive, exceptional in every way. They are much less expensive and readily available. If you want a smaller displacement design, the Honda Shadow line is an exceptional choice. Much lower price point with great looks. In fact the Harley company sued the Honda company because it looked and sounded just like a Harley but is and continues to be more dependable, smoother and ride-able in comparison.
    I ride street and cruiser bikes. Mine have been tens of thousand of miles across the country.
    Cheers

9. Yamaha Star Eluder:

[​IMG]

10. for that kinda $$ u have a huge range to chose from, if i had that scratch to spend i would pick up a 2014 honda ctx1300 (only produced in 2014), u can pick em up for about $6k on average. it is a fantastic bike ,lightweight excelent handling, low maintenance. not super powerful though but gets very good MPG for litre + cruiser.