close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How does riding snowmobiles compare to riding?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jwfzr and I will be going snowmobiling next week. It will be my first time on a snowmobile. I've always wanted to try snowmobiling but I'm also afraid I will get hooked on another hobby and that part scares me.

Who hears snowmobiles? How does it compare to riding?

Any tips for a snowmobile noob??

2. Ummm....If you're afraid you may get hooked on another hobby, better not go, or maybe you should, it'll fill those long cold winter months!
    Snowmobiling is awesome!
    It's different than biking, but every bit as fun and adrenaline pounding!

3. +1Agreed! Don't get it in your head that you are getting on a short bike, but be prepared to pony up for a new addiction. Also be prepared to find muscles you never knew you had as the body english you will use will tax even the most in shape. :mrgreen:

4. Agree with everything above.
    Get into deep powder and get ready for some fun.
    It will wear you out though.
    Don't stuff it into a tree....

5. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Its colder. If you get lost, or break down and FREEZE to death, animals eat you.crackup::nana

6. Don't be afraid, you pussy.

7. Maintanance REALLY matters on a sled.
    You can ride farther in ten minutes than you can walk in the rest of your life.
    Break down and there is a very real chance you can freeze to death

8. DoubleD has been snowmobiling for about 25yrs. You can be hooked on two hobbies he is. Hes at work so I'll tell you what he told me my first time out. Dress warm, but not so bundled you can't move its a very physical sport. Lean with your machine they don't corner like a bike you have to throw them around a bit (he is halfway off the side of his on corners, but he rides fast) Always expect ice in the corners that way your prepared. Don't lose my tail light, don't fall off, don't run into me, listen for other sleds, trees are your worst enemy and don't take on the moose, expect the unexpected and leave no one behind. OK he rides really fast(no cars up there to worry about-well except once and he went head on with them-long story) I tried not to loose his tail light, I fell off, but I hung on dragging until I could get back on he stopped to see what happened to me and yes I almost ran into the back of him( it was a dark by then) I didn't dress warm enough so I got to cold and passed out because thats what I do:tard: The Hot buttered Rum was great the mountains were beautiful and its a great memory, but I don't get to go anymore (the pass out thing didn't work for him) He really enjoys it and I'm sure you will to regardless of how you choose to ride the trails or billy goating fast or slow, its just another sense of freedom that can't be really explained by words. Take a camera and have fun...:mrgreen:MrsD

9. C~Style

C~Style Retired

I grew up with snowmobiles....the way you handle the machine is nothing like a bike, but having the ability to ride will help in the sense that you will be more comfortable with the speed and watching where your going. It doesn't take long to become comfortable with them, and going with people who have experience always helps. Oh and hold on! p.s. snowmobiles do great at riding on water...so if you find yourself over a body of water, think of it like a rear slide...just give it more gas.

10. PM xr supermoto or better yet call him, he will fill you will more sled stories than you care to hear, you just have to keep him focused on explaining the "how to's" and not the "how he did it's" crackup:

11. This is kind of a FAIL, 'cause I've never been snowmobiling...

To stay as comfy as possible in cold, active sports, make sure that you have a moisture wicking base layer:ninja:. (poly prop, underarmor, whatever) Socks and gloveliners too. Prolly obvious, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Looking forward to hearing your take on power sledding:mrgreen:

12. jwfzr

jwfzr Two Wheel Art

This will not be the best scenario for your first sled ride Beans. We are going to be on some pretty flat stuff. Nothing like it is out west. Not nearly as fun.

13. It's tons of fun! if you're on flat stuff I suggest drag racing, 100+ mph on a sled is quite a rush.

14. I don't know about you beans, but if it were me, I'd push the limits x-games style and see how far I could go out into the wild on a tank full of gas...j/k haha. I heard that snowmobiling is like riding the can am spyder and that wasn't so tough. Should be easy for a smart guy like you!!

Sure would be except for the obstacles buried in the snow!! 100mph into something you can't see would probably be the opposite of a rush I think.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  15. They usually drag at the airports or for short distances although there have been a few that hit the fields and found some stumps.:scared That was not good...MrsD

16. Much more physical than a bike, but a hell of a lot of fun. Deep powder is great unless you get stuck and have to pick the damn thing up.

17. Tons of fun! YOU WILL BE HOOKED! Sooo fast! LETS ALL GET SLEDS!

18. jwfzr

jwfzr Two Wheel Art

We'll mostly be on lakes. The only thing to watch out for there are spear house Ice blocks.

19. It rocks! I love it when I'm hanging it out around a corner and I hit a bump and whoppps....I'm off the sled sliding down the snow!

20. i'd think it's more like jet-skiing than anything else, but yeah ive never done it so i wouldn't know.