close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm in love with BC & Alberta

Discussion in 'Vancouver BC' started by BemmerBones, Jul 18, 2010.

1. I took a trip summer before last the road ,people and food was great. kind of curious though what happens if I get a speeding ticket up there ? I've been known to go a little over posted limit. it seemed most everyone did. the police here in Washington have very good radar/ laser equipment and use it to its fullest ability.

2. I think ya just pay it and forget it. I've been going up there every summer for the last 6 or 7 yrs and have never seen a speed trap. They just don't seem to be dicks about speeding like the cops are down here in the states.

3. Oh they have speed traps! And camera vans, but usually not on the fun twisty bits but the wide open straighter stretches where folks are likely to speed in cars. Just smile and offer them some back bacon and a Molson and they will let you go.

Actually last time I was ticketed up there for speeding, cop was super nice, ticky was cheap and I just paid it. No reciprocity with WA so not on record...thus, where we go to play in September!

4. Oh yeah, BTW, it was just east of Princeton BC going pretty slow about 65MPH, we had just been riding for an hour through Manning Prov. Park and seldom went under 100 MPH. We bad....

5. Not sure what part of BC you have ridden it, but there's plenty.....ironic, many of us tend to ride in WA for the same reason + the much better roads :)

6. Funny I thought the roads where better up there for the most part. lots of fix & patch jobs but done very well. I have a little insight to this as my dad was on wsdot for a long time. not much traffic love the road from whistler to pemberton did it in 50 min. before the new pavement made lots of sparks that was kind of chunky pavement. and found another bumpy one up to a small lake near lake Louise but real twisty.

7. I just got back on Thursday night from another summer run up in BC and still have yet to see a speed trap. The entire trip from Seattle and back was about 1500 miles of nothing but shredding goodness. Every year, I try to take a different route and they've all been really fun.

This year, I crossed the border at Danville WA and the Canadian border crossing guys were assholes but then, they always are. After that, I took the Crowsnest Hwy (3) to Castlegar. I did not go slow. I headed up 3A to Nelson for some lunch. The weather was moving in from the east so, I doubled back to hit route 6 up to Nakusp to avoid the rain. I blew by two separate RCMP cruisers on the way and they did not give a shit. I slowed down out of habit but, it was a 70 kph zone and I was nowhere near that. I found a bar with a motel above it right on the edge of Arrow Lake for $75, got drunk, ate and watched the thunder storm roll in. The next day, I continued to not ride slow on route 6 to the Needles ferry. While I was waiting, the locals even advised me to get past everyone once I got off the boat because they told me that there was over 130k of twisty road all the way to Vernon. Shit, one of the local cagers even walked up to the two Harley riders next to me and said "you guys aren't going to go fast in the straights and then, hold me up in the turns, are you?". I laughed. It was bold but, they all knew what we were there for. I did not ride slow and did not see any speed traps or LEO's all the way to Vernon. Once I got gassed up in Vernon, I dedided to find a better way down to Kelowna than taking 97 south. So, I found a road that went down the west side of Okanagan Lake that was appropriately called Westside Rd. More turns, no slow riding and no cops the whole way. Taking 97 from Kelowna to Penticton continues down the west shore of Okanagan Lake. Once I got to 3A, I started heading back to the Crowsnest Hwy again and got going west. I did not ride slow the whole way. Grabbed a meal and beer in Princeton and saw a couple RCMP's heading out while I ate on their front deck but, I never saw them after I got rolling. I hit the rest of the Crowsnest Hwy to Hope with a little more urgency because I wanted to get there before the sun went down. That was some wicked fun and scenic too. I took the Lougheed Hwy (7) instead of Hwy 1 and spent the night in Maple Ridge. Got back across the border the next day and chalked up yet another successful Canadian trip without any attention from the LEO's. I think that makes 8 years of trouble free BC riding now?

This is the second summer up in BC on a give-me-a-ticket-bright-blue ZX10R and have never got a bit of shit when I was up there, as usual. In the years past, I have done these trips on a GSXR 1000 and a ZX9. So, it's not like I go up there in stealth mode. They just don't care about speeding in BC and anyone that says that they have problems must be doing something seriously wrong to find trouble. I slow down when going thru the towns, showing some discretion where I speed. Other than that, it's on once I cross into another country because I know that even if I do get a ticket, it won't follow me home. I think it is the best place that I have ever ridden. I'll definitely be back.

8. Maybe you should marry BC and AB!

9. InvisibleMan, just ran across your 8/7 post about being up there. Funny thing is, we must've been up there around the same time and had similar length trips.

Here's my blog with stuff about where I went. Basically, up 1 and 5 to Revelstoke/Glacier/Yoho, left turn onto the Icefield Parkway. Rode through Jasper and stayed in Hinton, AB (the HoJo there tells riders they can park in the No Parking zone just outside overnight, so their bikes are always in sight). Back home by way of Wells Gray park and the Cariboo.

I really love going up there. Being a middle aged solo rider, I always end up yacking with neat people, both motorcyclists and people on 4 wheels. This year I even met some folks from New Zealand who were at the Athabasca Glacier with their own Harleys.

I do appreciate it that people up there tend to stay right except when passing. Much better than the passing lane campers we have down here!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  10. I wish the first statement was true, but you are absolutely right about using discretion and showing a little respect by wicking it down to nearly legal speeds when you go through a small town.

You just gotta pick your spots. Savvy and experience will carry you a long way in this regard.

:mrgreen:

11. you guys come here to ride, and we go up there. Im sure there a few hoops to jump thru to write a ticket to a foreigner, prolly why so many warnings get handed out.

12. I havent been to canada in a couple years but I have had experience with a couple things mentioned here. Ive gotten a ticket in a car (80 km in a 50km). Had to pay the ticket but i never saw it on my record/no insurance increase. And, yes, i never saw cops in the middle of know where, but there are plenty in the city so keep it low key there...

13. Are_Six

Are_Six Moderator Staff Member

Never been riding up there sounds like I need to add it to the list. I have been to Brandi's a few times, and Cecil before it closed. Fine establishments...

14. Watch it guys, 40 over the limit and you get dinged for excessive and your bike impounded for 7 days. And they will do it, unless you get a decent cop who lets you off with just a speeding tik instead.

15. +1.

I have no idea why you guys would want to ride up where we live.

40kph over in BC is an impound,7 days. They won't care where you are from
    or what your sorry excuse is.

And for anyone that thinks our roads are better...well, facepalm... I have no
    idea where you are riding in the states, but IMHO it's Disneyland compared
    to what we have to offer.

16. I beg to differ. I've read your posts on another forum and it's obvious that you just follow the gang like a sheep led to slaughter. IMHO you have no idea where the good tarmac and the good roads really are in BC because you spend your time trying to inflate your sorry self esteem by being outspoken on a small local forum where you and your sheep will follow each other.

Now, the original question was????

Oh ya, my American friends have had no problems up here as I "THINK" a speeding ticket up here is not transferrable to your American driving record.

On the other hand, if you want to come back here for any reason, I would pay the fine because a Canadian who hasn't payed a Wa state fine can be arrested by your Marshalls/Border Patrol/Customs etc. And there's no doubt that both countries are sharing more info.

If you want reliable info on it, I would go to a lawyer.

FYI: As a Canadian or any non resident of the USA, technically I am not privy to any of the rights guaranteed in the American Constitution. Scary thought.

17. I beg to differ. I've read your posts on another forum and it's obvious that you just follow the gang like a sheep led to slaughter. IMHO you have no idea where the good tarmac and the good roads really are in BC because you spend your time trying to inflate your sorry self esteem by being outspoken on a small local forum where you and your sheep will follow each other.

Oh ya, my American friends have had no problems up here as I "THINK" a speeding ticket up here is not transferrable to your American driving record.

On the other hand, if you want to come back here for any reason, I would pay the fine because a Canadian who hasn't payed a Wa state fine can be arrested by your Marshalls/Border Patrol/Customs etc. And there's no doubt that both countries are sharing more info.

FYI: As a Canadian or any non resident of the USA, technically I am not privy to any of the rights guaranteed in the American Constitution. Scary thought.

18. I beg to differ. I've read your posts on another forum and it's obvious that you just follow the gang like a sheep led to slaughter. IMHO you have no idea where the good tarmac and the good roads really are in BC because you spend your time trying to inflate your sorry self esteem by being outspoken on a small local forum where you and your sheep will follow each other.

Bandito. Look for a name change. Your name implies something you are not.