close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IS Anybody a Veterinarian??? need help!

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by RushRider, Jul 3, 2010.

1. So...a couple months back Robert and I got a black lab jack russel puppy. Currently, Piper is about 7 months old. The people who had her before us were a young couple who didn't know anything, and she didn't even know her name, let alone anything above that.

Anyway, she decided that a 2 months supply of birth control pills looked rather appetizing and ate a big chunk of them...including the metal/tinfoil wrapper thing that they come in.

We never caught her in the act of actually eating them...I just noticed some went missing one day...then 5 days later found pieces of it. overall, she seems ok. nothing out of the ordinary to her personality. She is however losing hair on her rear and hind legs (truthfully, it looks like someone took an electric shaver and went to town!). And- her bowel movements are more like vomit! (in the last 24 hours).

I don't have a lot of money right now, but will try and compensate as best as I can... I need to see if she's ok! If anyone is willing to help, or knows how to counteract overdosing on female hormones... that would be amazing!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Im not in any way a vet, but after 5 days in it's system, any damage is pretty well done by this point. The hair coming out and the loose stools seems like a half way normal response to an OD of hormones. I just don't know what human hormones (or bovine, whatever) will do to a dog long term. In a person, i'd worry about liver toxicity and damage to the stomach lining. But again, after 5 days, any long term damage to any system is done. My great dane has a sensitive stomach, and when he gets really bad diarrhea (epic in a 140lb dog), pepto bismol does the trick. Just don't be suprised if you get really funky colored stool afterward. Look for blood in it's stool. It may look like bloody mucous, or it may look like coffee grounds. If you start seeing this, it's time to see a vet. Other than that, i'd ust make sure it as plenty of water, and let it's body purge that crap out. If the diarrhea lasts more than 48 hours or so, it's also time to see a vet. Hope that helps..

http://www.google.com/search?q=dog+...us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=1&startPage=1

3. Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  4. Google it... I just did and it seems like everyone says their dog that ate a whole pack of birth control was just fine.

5. yeah I saw that too...but none mentioned anything about hairloss and diarrhea.
    ... kinda makes me nervous

6. Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I want to give her pepto bismol though...i'm hoping this flushes out of her system, not wanting to force it to stay in her longer...

7. Well I know that female dogs lose a lot of their hair after giving birth due to hormones.. So I'm thinking that its pretty normal for a large dose of hormones to cause hair loss.

8. Ok! that makes me feel a LOT better!

9. Agreed, its too late now, whats done is done, I doubt it will have any long term negative effects
    As far as keeping your dog's kidneys safe in the short term, purchase concentrated cranberry juice tablets or just give it cranberry juice in its bowl (messy tho), that is a very common recommendation for keeping safe from kidney stones, for bladder infections, and eliminating urinary tract infections
    In the future keep some activated charcoal pills around (available in the health food section)
    They will help neutralize anything weird you or your pet swallow
    And they will help if you have way too much to drink..That reminds me what I need to add to my shopping list..

10. Good to know! I will pick some up tonight!

11. Aprilia

Aprilia Sweep Crusader

Could the hair loss be in any way related to Robert 'rubbing' on the dog in any weird way?

(Seriously, the dog should be just fine, just lots of water, lots of TLC and no more 'pills'... My lab has eaten MUCH worse stuff and he's still chewing daily... )

12. What hormones were your prescription? My brother is a VET and he needs to know before thinking about a course of action. He did say the damage if any is already done and the cranberry suggestion for the urinary tract would be the least of his worries. Also, is she spayed? In the future...for this type of poisoning induce vomiting...feed charcoal pills and cooking oil to speed up the exit.

13. ortho tri cyclen lo. they are the birth control with the least amount of hormones in them. like i said, she ate almost a full two packs... minus maybe like 6 pills total...4 of which were sugar pills. she is NOT spayed...and we don't want her to be! i didn't know she ate them till like yesterday...

just checked...norgestimate, ethinyl estradiol are what are in them... other than that... they are ''inert" ingredients

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  14. Have you tried actually calling a vet? They may be able to answer questions over the phone without charging you for a visit. My vet has done that a couple of times no problem.

On another note, if you don't have enough money on hand for vet bills, you might want to look into pet insurance....they can cut down significantly on what you pay at the vet for both normal and emergency visits.

15. we don't want her spayed... but thanks for the suggestion.

16. we don't have a regular vet...would that matter?

17. gixxerjeff

gixxerjeff emw2k9 beer pong champions

18. If you can find a vet that cares about the animals & is not just out for a buck they would probably give you information without you being a patient. I know my vet would answer any question you needed answered, but they will not be open until Tuesday.

I still want to know how you get a lab/Russel mix? It's really gotta suck for one of them!

19. whose your vet?