close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just another newbie here...

Discussion in 'New Users' started by Andy Nordby, Apr 1, 2018.

1. New to these forums, but not new to motorcycling. Bought my first bike in 1977, a Suzuki GT550, a reasonably quick but evil handling beastie. My second bike, a '66 Ducati 350, introduced me to a new feeling that every fast corner might not be my last. I had so much fun with this bike that I ended up with about 40 old British and Italian bikes, 20 or so of my favorites are still lurking out in my barn.

I wouldn't call myself a big touring type, but I have ridden cross-country, down to Ensenada and the PCH several times, mostly on my Moto Guzzi Spada. About half of my little armada are dirt bikes - scramblers, motocross and trials, which works out pretty well, as I have a lot of dirt where I live. I commute by bike every ice-free day to work, mostly on a 2005 1200 Sportster Roadster that has a truly great motor, but took a shocking amount of work on suspension and ergonomics to make it rideable and I just bought a 2005 BMW R1150RT to try to lure my wife out onto the road. The Guzzi is in need of a complete stripdown and refresh and while still a formidable road-burner, not exactly comfortable for a passenger.

My current projects are cleaning up a Formula III-ish Ducati 450 Desmo for the valley roads here and adding modern electrics to a '60 BSA Spitfire Scrambler and see if it might work as an Adventure style ride. If that doesn't work out, I have a Triumph TR5T that probably would have been a better choice in the first place.

OK, that's about all I can think of right now...