close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

K&N Filters

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Jafar, May 6, 2005.

1. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

anyone have any opinions/data on K&N and other similar high-flow filters. i heard they're not good for engine longevity, i.e. they don't filter out damaging particles.

2. .02 cents.

I have run K&N, Fram, etc etc filters in various dirt and street bikes. Ive never had a longevity issue due to particulate of dirt in the engine. The way we ride sportbikes your going to do more damage just by using bad gas or not being graceful with your rev limiter than you would with dirt. More importantly, the dirt/metal/clutch sediment thats in your oil is far more harmful than dust in the combustion chamber. A properly oiled K&N is a great filter, and definitely a flow improvement from stock. Just like anything else, maintain and its golden.

E

3. K&N do less than the stock filters on my 12.

Everything I've heard and read and reviewed all recommend BMC, and the BMC ones can be cleaned and are reusable.

4. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

i've heard nothing but complaints about k&n and nothing but praise for bmc. i've heard plenty of times how k&n is worse than the stock filter.

5. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Not in my instance! K&N rocks!!! Just cleaned it after a total of 8000 miles on it. Made a world of difference. Just what ever you use make sure there kept clean.
    To see results look at members rides under matts 636.

6. K & N are great.. what you likely heard about was fitting issues where the K & N did not fit a slightly off spec or other airbox/filter housing issue. In this case you basically have very little filtering going on, since the airflow will be thru the point of least resistence. If it makes you feel any better, my custom cobra sportcar's 514 Ford racing motor and my Yamaha V-Max both have K & N. Be sure to get the service/re-oil kit too, although you don't have to do that for a looong time.

7. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Quick - and possibly stupid - question. Does a high-flow air filter require any sort of rejetting or other messing w/ the fuel/air mixture? I already have a Yoshi slip-on and haven't re-jetted, so I'm curious whether or not the combo of the two might mean I'd need to get more fuel into the system to compensate for the air...

8. cordodor

cordodor Retired

dont know about you carburated folks, but if you've got a slipon and a highflow air filter, it's always good to have your bike tuned to fit it.

9. Yeah, the filter alone won't make that much difference since the other big obstruction is the stock mufflers. change out both (or if you already have an aftermarket performance pipe) and then you definitely need to re-tune. I also went for a stage 5 jet kit and had the Yamaha shop do the carb work.

10. I put a K&N filter on my bike last week and then went to the stealership and had my bike remapped. Oh yeah I also have a bolt on pipe. The remapping of the bike made a world of difference. Now I have lots better throttle response and it hits harder at 8000 rpm's and on to about 14500 rpm's. I am sure if you open up both ends of your machine (intake/exhaust) you need to do some tweeking. IMHO. :rr: