close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

K4 gixxer600 gearing at Pacific (not a duplicate post!)

Discussion in 'Track Time' started by OOk, Oct 1, 2007.

1. OOk

OOk beansbaxter is too lazy to come up with something

I'm finding I'm hitting a stumbling block with gearing. Running a 180 rear I'm hitting the rev limiter in 6th entering T1 but my drive out of T2, T4 and T7 is week as water (same with a 190 rear but I hit the limiter just a tad bit later in T1). If I drop a gear for 2, 4 and 7 then I'm dealing with waaay too much engine compression and the bike is quite twitchy. So, I need to change my gearing.
    If I went with taller gearing this would cure hitting the limiter in T1 and hopefully would allow me to take 2, 4 and 7 one gear lower giving me more drive on exit. So what would a good tooth combo be?
    Help.

kthnx.

2. liv4thekill

liv4thekill Mr. Lexus

duplicate post! :thefinge: j/k

Instead of having to decide the gear for the corner and the gearing, just draw a line in the sand and say "I'm gonna take T2 in 3rd and change my gearing to get a good drive there."

I can't be as specific as you want, but I'd try running the 190, adding a few teeth in the rear and cornering in the higher of the 2 gears you experiment with.

3. tophyr

tophyr Forum Cripple

What are you taking 2/4/7 in?

4. OOk

T2: 4th
    T4: 2nd
    T7: 3rd

I'm outside the power band when exiting these corners, but like I said, if I drop a gear it's just too low and I'm practically at the limiter when hitting the apex.
    If I went with taller gearing I could possibly take all those corners 1 gear lower and be right on the power band without the engine wailing its tits off at the apex. This would also cure hitting the limiter thru T1.
    Prob is I just don't know shit about gearing.

5. OOk

But adding teeth in the rear is lowering the gearing isnt it? That wouldn't work since I'm already bouncing off the limiter in T1. Running a 180 I'm on the limiter for probably as much as half a second maybe even a bit longer! I'm currently rockin' a 190 and I'm noticeably not on the limiter for as long thru T1.

6. If you think these woes are bad on a 750, try it on a 600. If you're hitting your limiter by T-1 I'd say your probably about as good as your gonna get? No?

7. eric

eric Slow Eric

I'll tell you what gearing to use for $15.

8. OOk

Tell me the correct gearing and I'll let you ride the CBR.

9. eric

eric Slow Eric

meh.

10. OOk

jurk-hole

11. Ya know...more power would solve all your gearing problems:evil4:

12. liv4thekill

liv4thekill Mr. Lexus

Sounds like the new CBR doesn't have a close-ratio tranny. My 636 is in the same boat :x But at least I get good drive out of every corner and barely bounce off the limiter into T1. That bike is running -1/+4 w/ a 190/60 rear.

How about adding a tooth up front then?

13. eric

eric Slow Eric

it's a gix600 on the track.

14. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

I'll tell you what I'm doing on my '07 600 (which probably has slightly different internal gearing).

-1/+ 1 (15/44) with a Pirelli 190 rear.

T1 - no limiter!
    T2 - 3rd
    T3&4 - 2nd
    Back Straight - up to 4th
    T5,6&7 - 3rd
    T8 - 4th
    T9 - 3rd
    T10 - choice of 1st or 2nd (kinda in between gears). I find using second forces me to work on my Bus Stop corner speed more.

15. OOk

:cry:
    I'm so confused. Just to clarify: going "-" front "+" rear lowers gearing right? Jeez, if that's so then the '06's must have had really tall stock gearing no? As it is now if I try and take T2 in 3rd I'm buzzing just below redline (13k i think) at the apex and I'm already hitting the rev limiter in T1. So don't I need to go with TALLER gearing? Therefore I would want to go DOWN a couple teeth in the rear right or up in the front?

Are you comfortable with the drive you get out of 4 and 7? T4 isn't that bad for me in 2nd but exiting T7 in 3rd teh suck! You've geared down and our shift patterns are almost exact with my stock gearing. :scratchea

16. liv4thekill

liv4thekill Mr. Lexus

I don't read thread titles, they're for jerks. :thefinge:

17. tophyr

tophyr Forum Cripple

Drop a tooth or two in the rear, then take T2 in 3rd and carry more corner speed through T4 and T7. You don't really wanna be hitting the limiter on the straight - that's "perfect" in a race, but when you're looking for improvement it'll hold you back.

T1 - 6th
    T2 - 3rd, up to 4th on exit
    T3 - 2nd
    T4 - 2nd, up to 5th on back straight (can short shift or just stick with 4th if needed)
    T5 - 3rd
    T6 - 3rd
    T7 - 3rd
    T8 - 3rd, hit 4 on exit
    T9 - 3rd
    T10 - 2nd

Also, you're right about the +/-. A smaller sprocket in the rear, a larger sprocket in the front, or a larger rear wheel, will increase your top speed and decrease your acceleration (higher gearing). Most bikes are geared way too high for PR/SRP stock, so riders increase the size of the rear or drop the size of the front.

18. eric

eric Slow Eric

Hey Mr. OOk. If it helps on my 10r I'm +1 in the back.

19. OOk

Thnx for the info guys. I still wanna hear from MikeM tho! Dropping a tooth or 2 in the rear was sorta what I thought. This would help my drive on the exit of T2 for sure because I could then take it in 3rd and solve my rev limiter issue in T1 but I'm already taking T4 in 2nd and T7 in 3rd. So taller gearing would HURT those turns even more unless I also take them a gear lower. I know if I can solve my T2/T4/T7 exit issues I could easily drop another second. Hmm...

20. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

Strange... I didn't realize they changed the internal gearing from '05 to '06 so much. If you're running stock gearing, and still need to go with taller gearing, that's way different than mine.

Grab a couple sprockets and take them to the track next time, and swap them out between sessions.... see what works best for ya.