close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

License Plate Light

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Gixxer6, Jun 8, 2005.

1. I have recetly built myself a fender eliminator for my Gixxer 600, and since i have completely removed the stock license plate light, i have the connection for that wire with nothing on it. will that hurt the electrical of the bike? Do i need to have something connected to the other end?

2. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Put a butt connector on the open end. Then Rap it up with electrical tape, to keep moisture out. Thats all.

3. +1

4. It wont hurt a thing, just do what Jabstar17 said. If it has the factory plug just tape that dont cut it off.That way is you ever get a ticket you can put it back to stock.

5. If your feeling creative, just pick up LEDs/little white light or something and make a plate light for your new setup! If not, cut your wire so that its completely sheathed in insulation, hit radio shack or a hardware store and get a little shrinkwrap. Melt it over the end, and presto! water tight wire end.

E

6. cordodor

cordodor Retired

if you do use leds, you'll need a resistor inline or else it will burn them out...

7. Thats dependent on what LED you purchase. PM me ill let you know what you can use.

E

8. Hey thanks guys. I might try to wire something up with some LEDs.

9. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

I have couple red LEDS sitting around if you want one. Red keeps it legal. let me know. oh ya you dont need a resistor with it either. just wire it in, mount it, and call it good!

You can have it for free.

10. In a PM (hopefully taken with permission)

It is Wa state law to have a light illuminating your license plate to make it visible at night. I personally do not have this as the headlights from the cop cars will typically light the plate adequately for them to read it. IF you are pulled over and they notice it, you will be in violation. According to said law, the light illuminating a plate will be white, facing downward on the plate and not visible from the rear of the vehicle (shrouded so as not to look like a headlight or blind someone). There are several HUNDRED ways of doing this, but its a cake task. Im a big fan of General store fixes like this; they make a 3 LED setup for clearance lights, can be retrofit into small spaces, then just build a small enclosure or shroud, aim the LED's at the plate, and voila! Many other setups can be made (gauge lights from broken gauges <I have 2>, etc etc), so creativity is your only limit. Id be more than happy to meet up with ya and throw some ideas around this weekend.

E

11. I have the VFX Pivot Kit. It's spendy, but is pretty damn sweet. Mine has two white LEDS behind the lazer cut "R6" text. Here is an old big (notice stock pipe) taken during the day. FYI, the turn signals are integrated into the brake light assembly.
    [​IMG]