close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Movin' on up

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Skier, May 3, 2005.

1. It's time for a newer bike, methinks. My Radian is a good first bike, but after 4,000 miles of riding time I think I'm about ready to upgrade. It's old and has its share of problems and I only have so much money to throw at it. Even if I do fix all the issues I have with it, I'd still be stuck with a 20 year old bike.

Soooo, I'm trying to figure out what my options are for a newer bike. I want something that can fit my 6' frame a bit easier than the Radian. No cruisers, please, not my cup of tea. I don't need a ton of power, I'm looking for something that I can take the twisties on. I rarely redline my Rad in any gear, so I don't need a lot of power, but handling is real important.

Right now I'm looking at a VStrom 650 (750? Not the 1000). I like the looks, shouldn't have too much more power and looks comfy. I'm open to ideas, though. My price range is, oh, let's say $3,000 out the door.

2. I was gonna say for a little more $$ you could get a Kawi Z1000. I think those things are awesome. And you don't see them often.

3. I am not ready for a literbike, really. I don't use the straightline power of a 20 year old 600cc streetfighter, why bother with something insurance is gonna rape me with? :|

4. Talk to Fighterama he has a scooter for sale, it would work for you.I dont know the size and all that good stuff but im sure he would tell you.

5. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

bet you can find an f2, f3, or f4 for around that price.

6. My friend as a Zed and he likes it other that the exhaust it came with. He got the Muzzy 4-1 with a power commander and he's says it's like riding a new bike.

7. I'm thinkin' a Kawi Concours might be the thing to get. They're inexpensive, quick, look comfortable, etc...

Better find one to sit on!

8. I would look into a SV. They are nimble and have a TON of power coming out of the corners :shock: Something to think about!!
    Mike

9. To clarify for mike...he's rollin an SV1000, but an SV650 would be alot of fun too, and a great intro into a sportbike.

10. An SV650S is certainly an option, but I'm not sure about the prices on those. I can only spend about three grand on the bike.

11. I've taken a look-see at some of those bikes already. I think I'm going to be in a holding pattern for buying the bike until fall comes and people are trying to unload their summer toys. That and I'll have some money in the bank so I can hopefully buy one outright without a problem.

12. I've seen numerous sv650's for $3k and even as low as $2500.00 (not wrecked) Just keep your eyes open for a deal. You'll find one if you look.

13. http://seattle.craigslist.com/mcy/71122977.html

SV650S, almost in my price range.