close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving your bike without riding it...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Blackstar, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Okay so for my trip back to Cali I'm not willing to ride the 825mi straight line one way and then turn around and come back. So the question is how to transport it....here is what I am thinking... http://www.motorcycleramps.com/hitch_motorcycle_carrier.htm So what do you guys think? the vehicle I will be taking it down on is this
    [​IMG]

Open to alternate ideas or suggestions (short of riding it)

2. cordodor

cordodor Retired

i think something like that is about your only option. It looks a little sketchy to me. Do you have full coverage on your bike/bronco? i'd call your ins. company and ask them if they covered this kind of "operation" Aside from a trailer though, like i say, i think that might be your only option...

3. Its always a good thing to see a sportbike as a bumper. Have you tired to see how much a small trailer would cost to rent???

4. Id go the $$ and get a covered U-haul...
    E

5. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

SilverDawg had a similar-type setup for his Xterra, but he only used it to carry a dirtbike, never his R6. You might PM him and get his opinion on it if he doesn't answer this thread. Your hitch has got to be able to support some semi-beefy tongue weight for it to work...he said that his was rated at up to 500lbs, but he didn't seem to gung-ho on putting anything more than his YZ125 on there when I talked to him about it.

6. KCander

...by the way, I vote for just doing like we're doing; ditch the truck, take 101 all the way down on your bike!!!!

7. 350 pounds hanging off old bronco rearend? The 302 will be able to handle the pulling of weight, but the rear springs would have your rear dragging pretty extreme (squirrel hunting lights). Those stands are rated at 500, but that doesnt mean your suspension is.
    Go get a trailer or borrow one form somebody. Pleanty of used ones on CL..

8. KCander

That's what I'm sayin'! Besides, your bike is just going to end up towing that old Bronco once it breaks down somewhere around Redding! In fact, maybe you ought to trade up to a ZX-12 or a 'Busa...can you order one of those with a tow package?!

9. As soon as we purchased the Bronco I became a member of the AAA Plus package....

beansbaxter: I'll ride it down!!

I was trying to avoid the long stretches of straight freeway that would cause an unwanted flat spot in the center of the tire....I know it's unavoidable but I'm trying to make it take as long as possible...But I can tell you this the bike will not be on the trailer/carrier going through the mountains...hell no i wouldn't miss those twisties for anything. In fact I want to see how high I can get those warning signs just north of Redding to read...(you know those one that say "55mph corner" then show the truck trailer tip over...then it tells you your current speed...oh yeah!!)

10. Simple solution. Don't take I-5.

11. +1 on the suspension. It will shake you pretty well and you'll be nervous any time you go around a corner. With mine it would rock at every corner. Even with the provided "stabalizers". I used it a couple times on my Xterra. I just bought a truck though. Problem solved. As KC said, I wasn't about to put the R6 on the back.
    Stay off I-5 and enjoy the trip on two wheels.

12. one alternative is to trailer to yreka and park your truck/trailer there and ride down to laguna from yreka - there are hundreds of miles of killer roads in No. Calif. - true, you do avoid the 650 miles to the Oregon/Ca border mostly boring stuff but from their south you have great roads meandering all the way down - especially look for 96, 36, 3 and 128 to the bay area - then down to Monterey look at a map and take the roads to Santa Cruz and some great riding down that way - all depends on how much time you have -

Steve

13. Maybe a little farther north. Why would you drive through the Redwoods? Maybe park the trailer at Grant's Pass, then shoot down 199 to the coast.